Exploiting the orbital motion of water particles for energy extraction from waves
In wave motion, the water particles are known to follow orbital paths. This orbital motion was used to drive five-bladed Savonius rotors. Experiments were performed on an array of four rotors placed in a two-dimensional (2-D) wave channel. The flow around the rotors was documented using particle image velocimetry measurements. The submergence of the rotors and the distance between them were varied, and the rotational speeds of the rotors ( $N_n$ ) were recorded at different wave frequencies. It was found that rotational speeds increased with an increase in the wave frequency, as it amplified the wave height that increased the kinetic energy of the particles in their orbital motion. The rotational speeds decreased when the distance between the rotors increased. High rotational speeds are recorded when the array of the rotors is placed close to the water surface at the smallest centre-to-centre distance between the rotors.
- J. Falnes, A review of wave-energy extraction, Marine Structures, 20 (4) (2007) 185-201.
- M. E. McCormick, Ocean wave energy conversion, first ed., Dover Publications, New York, USA, (2007).
- K. U. Graw and J. Lengricht, Comparison of LDV and ultrasonic measurement of orbital velocity, Proceedings of XXV IAHR Congress, Tokyo, Japan, (1993) 81-88.
- A. Constantin, On the deep water wave motion, J. Phys. A:Math. Gen. 34 (7) (2001) 1405-1417.
- J. Twidell and A. D. Weir, Renewable Energy Resources, second ed., Taylor and Francis, New York, USA, (2006).
- H. K. Chang, J. C. Liou and M. Y. Su, Particle trajectory and mass transport of finite-amplitude waves in water of uniform depth, European journal of mechanics - B/Fluids, 26 (3) (2007) 385-403.
- M. Raffel, C. Willert and J. Kompenhans, Particle Image Velocimetry ？ A Practical guide, first ed., Springer, Berlin Heidelberg, Germany, (1998) 105-166.
- M. Eriksson, J. Isberg and M. Leijon, Hydrodynamic modelling of a direct drive wave energy converter, Int. J. Engg. Sci., 43 (2005) 1377-1387.
- M. Rahman, Water waves - Relating modern theory to advanced engineering practice, first ed., Oxford University Press, New York, USA, (1994).
- P. Reupke and S. D. Probert, Slatted-blade Savonius windrotors, Applied Energy, 40 (1) (1991) 65-75.
- P. Janssen, The interaction of ocean waves and wind, first ed., Cambridge University Press, UK, (2004).
- L. H. Holthuijsen, Waves in oceanic and coastal waters, first ed., Cambridge University Press, UK, (2007).
- M. N. I. Khan, M. T. Iqbal and M. Hinchey, Sea-Floor Power Generation System, available online at http://necec.engr.mun.ca/ocs2007/viewpaper.php?id=11&print=1.
- B. L. Mehaute, An Introduction to Hydrodynamics and Water Waves, first ed., Springer-Verlag, New York, USA, (1976).
- C. Gray and C. A. Greated, The application of particle image velocimetry to the study of water waves, Optics and Lasers in Engineering, 9 (3-4) (1988) 265-276.
- J. Pedlosky, Waves in the Ocean and Atmosphere: Introduction to Wave Dynamics, first ed., Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg, Germany, (2003).
- J. L. Menet, A double step Savonius rotor for local production of electricity: a design study, Renewable Energy, 29 (11) (2004) 1843-1862.
- G. Jobb, An ocean wave energy converter, available online at http://www.treefinder.de/Ideas/WaveConverter.pdf.
- P. M. Coola, M. Ravindran and P. A. A. Narayana, Model studies of oscillating water column wave-energy device, ASCE J. Energy Engineering, 121 (1994) 14-26.
- D. Stagonas and G. Muller, Wave field mapping with particle image velocimetry, Ocean Engineering, 34 (11-12) (2007) 1781-1785.
- M. Rea, Wave tank and wavemaker design, in Ocean wave energy ？ current status and future perspectives, ed. Joao Cruz, Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg, Germany, (2008) 147-159.
- K. A. Sverdrup, A. B. Duxbury and A. C. Duxbury, Fundamentals of oceanography, fifth ed., McGraw Hill, New York, USA, (2006).
- R. Pelc and R. M. Fujita, Renewable energy from the ocean, Marine Policy, 26 (6) (2002) 471-479.
- B. F. M. Child and V. Venugopal, Interaction of waves with an array of floating wave energy devices, Paper No. 1059, Proceedings of the 7th European Wave and Tidal Energy Conference, Protugal, (2007).
- M. F. Merriam, Wind, waves, and tides, Annual review of energy, 3 (1978) 29-56.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (1)
- 2012. "" Journal of mechanical science and technology, 26(12): 3999~4005
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기