Rheological properties of dilute polymer solutions determined by particle tracking microrheology and bulk rheometry
We compared rheological properties of various polymer solutions as measured by particle tracking microrheology and conventional rheometry. First, zero shear viscosity was obtained using Stokes-Einstein equation at longer times of mean square displacement (MSD) curve in particle tracking microrheology, and compared to the one determined by rotational-type bulk rheometer. The zero shear viscosity from particle tracking microrheology matched well with the one from bulk rheometry. Second, dynamic modulus was determined using two models, Maxwell model and Euler's equation, since these have been most frequently adopted in previous studies. When Euler's equation was used, loss modulus matched well with the one from bulk rheometry for all frequency range. However, storage modulus was unstable at low frequencies, stemming from non-smoothing out in fitting process. When the Maxwell model was used, two results agreed well at low concentration of polymer solution, and the dynamic modulus at small frequency region which are difficult to detect in bulk rheometry could also be measured. However, both zero shear viscosity and dynamic modulus at higher concentration polymer solution from particle tracking microrheological measurement deviated from those from bulk rheometry, due to the error caused by limited resolution of the apparatus. Based on these results, we presented a guideline for the reliable performance of this new technique.
- Breedveld, V. and D. J. Pine, 2003, Microrheology as a tool for high-throughput screening, J. of Materials Science 38, 4461-4470.
- Chae , B. S. and Eric.M. Furst, 2005, Probe surface chemistry dependence and local polymer network structure in F-actin microrheology, Langmuir 21, 3084-3089.
- Dasgupta, B. R., Shang-You Tee, John C. Crocker and D. A. Weitz, 2002, Microrheology of polyethylene oxide using diffusing wave spectroscopy and single scattering, Physical Review E 65, 051505.
- Hassan, P. A., K. Bhattacharya, S. K. Kulshreshtha and S. R. Raghavan, 2005, Microrheology of wormlike micellar fluids from the diffusion of colloidal probes, J. Physical Chemistry, 109, 8744-8748.
- Mason, T. G. and D. A. Weitz, 1995, Optical measurements of frequency-dependent linear viscoelastic moduli of complex fluids, Physical Review Letters 74, 1250-1253.
- Van Zanten, J. H., Samiul Amin and Ahmed A. Abdala, 2004, Brownian motion of colloidal spheres in aqueous PEO solutions, Macromolecules 37, 3874-3880.
- Xu, J., Yiider Tseng, Craig J. Carriere and Denis Wirtz, 2002, Microheterogeneity and microrheology of wheat gliadin suspensions studied by multiple-particle tracking, Biomacromolecules 3, 92-99.
- Macosko, C. W., 1994, Rheology: principles, measurements, and applications, VCH.
- Mason, T. G., K. Ganesan, J. H. van Zanten, D. Wirtz and S. C. Kuo, 1997, Particle tracking microrheology of complex fluids, Physical Review Letters 79(17), 3282-3285.
- Mason, T. G., 2000, Estimating the dynamic moduli of complex fluids using the generalized Stokes-Einstein equation, Rheologica Acta 39, 371-378.
- Oppong, F. K., Laurent Rubatat, Barbara J. Frisken, Arthoru E. Bailey and John R. de Bruyn, 2006, Microrheology and structure of a yield-stress polymer gel, Physical Review E 73, 041405.
- Tseng, Y., Thomas P. Kole and Denis Wirtz, 2002, Micromechanical mapping of live cells by multiple particle tracking microrheology, Biophysical J. 83, 3162-3176.
- Larsen, T. H. and Eric M. Furst, 2008, Microrheology of the liquid- solid transition during gelation, Physical Review Letters 100, 146001.
- Palmer, A., Jingyuan Xu and Denis Wirtz, 1998, High frequency viscoelasticity of crosslinked actin filament networks measured by DWS, Rheologica Acta 37, 97-106.
- Xu, J., Virgile Viasnoff and Denis Wirtz, 1998, Compliance of actin filament networks measured by particle-tracking microrheology and diffusing wave spectroscopy, Rheologica Acta 37, 387-398.
- Savin, T. and Patrick S. Doyle, 2005, Static and dynamic errors in particle tracking microrheology, Biophysical J. 88, 623-638.
- Tseng, Y., Thomas P. Kole, Ssu-Hsien J. Lee and Denis Wirtz, 2002, Local dynamics and viscoelastic properties of cell biological systems, Current Opinion in Colloid & Interface Science 7, 210-217.
- Slopek, R. P., Haris K. McKinley, Clifford L. Henderson and Victor Breedveld, 2006, In situ monitoring of mechanical properties during photopolymerization with particle tracking microrheology, Polymer 47, 2263-2268.
- Phillies, G. D. J and P. Peczak, 1988, The ubiquity of stretched-exponential forms in polymer dynamics, Macromolecules 21, 214.
- Apgar, J., Yiider Tseng, Elena Fedorov, Matthew B. Herwig, Steve C. Almo and Denis Wirtz, 2000, Multiple-particle tracking measurements of heterogeneities in solutions of actin filaments and actin bundles, Biophysical J. 79, 1095-1106.
- Hines, William W. and Douglas C. Montgomery, 1990, Probability and statistics in engineering and management science.
- Willenbacher, N., C.Oelschlaeger and M. Schopferer, 2007, Broad bandwidth optical and mechanical rheometry of wormlike micelle solutions, Physical Review Letters 99, 068302.
- Rubinstein, M. and R. H. Colby, 2003, Polymer Physics, Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Waigh, TA, 2005, Microrheology of complex fluid, Reports on Progress in Physics 68, 685-742.
- Crocker, J. C. and David G. Grier, 1996, Methods of digital video microscopy for colloidal studies, J. of Colloid and Interface science 179, 298-310.
- Lu, Q. and Machael J. Solomon, 2002, Probe size effects on the microrheology of associating polymer solutions, Physical Review E 66, 061504.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (1)
- 2012. "" Korea-Australia rheology journal, 24(4): 333~337
- 원문이 없습니다.
- 원문이 없습니다.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기