Capillary breakup extensional rheometry of a wormlike micellar solution
The behaviour of a cetylpyridinium chloride/sodium salicylate wormlike micellar system undergoing capillary breakup is investigated experimentally. The transient elongational flow induced in a thinning thread is used to study the apparent viscosity and effective relaxation time of the micellar network in extension. The sensitivity of the material response to initial conditions and deformation history is explored by varying the endplate diameter of the capillary breakup rheometer and the initial step strain imposed on the sample. Local regimes in which the extensional viscosity shows constant (Newtonian), weak extensional thinning and strong extensional thickening are observed depending on the accumulated strain and strain rate. For this concentrated micellar network, the relaxation time determined in extension was found to be independent of the initial configuration and in close agreement with the value measured in shear flow.
- Bhattacharjee, P. K., J. P. Oberhauser, G. H. McKinley, L. G. Leal and T. Sridhar, 2002, Extensional rheometry of entangled solutions, Macromolecules 35, 10131-10148.
- Chen, C. M. and G. G. Warr, 1997, Light scattering from wormlike micelles in an elongational field, Langmuir 13, 1374-1376.
- Cromer, M. J., L. P. Cook and G. H. McKinley, 2009, Extensional flow of wormlike micellar solutions, Chemical Engineering Science 64, 4588-4596.
- Davies, C. J., A. J. Sederman, C. J. Pipe, G. H. McKinley, L. F. Gladden and M. L. Johns, 2010, Rapid measurement of transient velocity evolution using GERVAIS, Journal of Magnetic Resonance 202, 93-101.
- Grand, C., J. Arrault and M. E. Cates, 1997, Slow transients and metastability in wormlike micelle rheology, Journal de Physique II 7, 1071-1086.
- Liang, R. F. and M. R. Mackley, 1994, Rheological characterization of the time and strain dependence for polyisobutylene solutions, Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics 52, 387-405.
- Papageorgiou, D. T., 1995a, Analytical description of the breakup of liquid jets, Journal of Fluid Mechanics 301, 109-132.
- Sostarecz, M. C. and A. Belmonte, 2004, Beads-on-string phenomena in wormlike micellar fluids, Physics of Fluids 16, L67-L70.
- Vasquez, P. A., G. H. McKinley and L. P. Cook, 2007, A network scission model for wormlike micellar solutions: I. Model formulation and viscometric flow predictions, Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics 144, 122-139.
- Yesilata, B., C. Clasen and G. H. McKinley, 2006, Nonlinear shear and extensional flow dynamics of wormlike surfactant solutions, Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics 133, 73-90.
- Petrie, C. J. S., 2006, Extensional viscosity: A critical discussion, Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics 137, 15-23.
- Clasen, C., J. P. Plog, W. M. Kulicke, M. Owens, C. Macosko, L. E. Scriven, M. Verani and G. H. McKinley, 2006, How dilute are dilute solutions in extensional flows?, Journal of Rheology 50, 849-881.
- Rodd, L. E., T. P. Scott, J. J. Cooper-White and G. H. McKinley, 2005, Capillary breakup rheometry of low-viscosity elastic fluids, Applied Rheology 15, 12-27.
- Rothstein, J. P., 2003, Transient extensional rheology of wormlike micelle solutions, Journal of Rheology 47, 1227-1247.
- Smolka, L. B. and A. Belmonte, 2003, Drop pinch-off and filament dynamics of wormlike micellar fluids, Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics 115, 1-25.
- Lee, J. Y., G. G. Fuller, N. E. Hudson and X.-F. Yuan, 2005, Investigation of shear-banding structure in wormlike micellar solution by point-wise flow-induced birefringence measurements, Journal of Rheology 49, 537-550.
- Bhardwaj, A., E. Miller and J. P. Rothstein, 2007a, Filament stretching and capillary breakup extensional rheometry measurements of viscoelastic wormlike micelle solutions, Journal of Rheology 51, 693-719.
- Prabhakar, R., J. R. Prakash and T. Sridhar, 2006, Effect of configuration- dependent intramolecular hydrodynamic interaction on elastocapillary-thinning and breakup of filaments of dilute polymer solutions, Journal of Rheology 50, 925-947.
- Berret, J.-F., G. Porte and J.-P. Decruppe, 1997, Inhomogeneous shear flows of wormlike micelles: A master dynamic phase diagram, Physical Review E 55, 1668-1676.
- McKinley, G. H. and A. Tripathi, 2000, How to extract the newtonian viscosity from capillary breakup measurements in a filament rheometer, Journal of Rheology 44, 653-670.
- Pipe, C. J., T. Majmudar and G. H. McKinley, 2008, High shear rate viscometry, Rheologica Acta 47, 621-642.
- Bhardwaj, A., D. Richter, M. Chellamuthu and J. Rothstein, 2007b, The effect of pre-shear on the extensional rheology of wormlike micelle solutions, Rheologica Acta 46, 861-875.
- Miller, E. and J. P. Rothstein, 2007, Transient evolution of shearbanding wormlike micellar solutions, Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics 143, 22-37.
- Britton, M. M., R. W. Mair, R. K. Lambert and P. T. Callaghan, 1999, Transition to shear banding in pipe and couette flow of wormlike micellar solutions, Journal of Rheology 43, 897-909.
- Britton, M. M. and P. T. Callaghan, 1997, Two-phase shear band structures at uniform stress, Physical Review Letters 78, 4930.
- Miller, E., C. Clasen and J. P. Rothstein, 2009, The effect of stepstretch parameters on capillary breakup extensional rheology (CaBER) measurements, Rheologica Acta 48, 625-639.
- Turner, M. S. and M. E. Cates, 1991, Linear viscoelasticity of living polymers: A quantitative probe of chemical relaxation times, Langmuir 7, 1590-1594.
- Berret, J.-F., D. C. Roux and G. Porte, 1994, Isotropic-to-nematic transition in wormlike micelles under shear, Journal de Physique II 4, 1261-1279.
- Entov, V. M. and E. J. Hinch, 1997, Effect of a spectrum of relaxation times on the capillary-thinning of a filament of elastic liquid, Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics 72, 31-53.
- Larson, R. G., 1998, The structure and rheology of complex fluids, Oxford University Press, USA New York.
- Pipe, C. J. and G. H. McKinley, 2009, Microfluidic rheometry, Mechanical Research Communication 36, 110-120.
- Papageorgiou, D. T., 1995b, On the breakup of viscous liquid threads, Physics of Fluids 7, 1529-1544.
- Salmon, J.-B., A. Colin, S. Manneville and F. Molino, 2003, Velocity profiles in shear-banding wormlike micelles, Physical Review Letters 90, 228303.
- Kojic, N., J. Bico, C. Clasen and G. H. McKinley, 2006, Ex vivo rheology of spider silk, The Journal of Experimental Biology 209, 4355-4362.
- Nghe, P., G. Degre, P. Tabeling and A. Ajdari, 2008, High shear rheology of shear banding fluids in microchannels, Applied Physics Letters 93, 204102.
- Yao, M., S. H. Spiegelberg and G. H. McKinley, 2000, Dynamics of weakly strain-hardening fluids in filament stretching devices, Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics 89, 1-43.
- Dhont, J. K. G. and W. J. Briels, 2008, Gradient and vorticity banding, Rheologica Acta 47, 257-281.
- McKinley, G. H., 2005, Visco-elasto-capillary-thinning and breakup of complex fluids, Rheology Reviews 2005, 1-48.
- Prud'homme, R. K. and G. G. Warr, 1994, Elongational flow of solutions of rodlike micelles, Langmuir 10, 3419-3426.
- Fischer, P. and H. Rehage, 1997, Non-linear flow properties of viscoelastic surfactant solutions, Rheologica Acta 36, 13-27.
- Fischer, P., G. G. Fuller and Z. Lin, 1997, Branched viscoelastic surfactant solutions and their response to elongational flow, Rheologica Acta 36, 632-638.
- Pipe, C. J., N. J. Kim, G. H. McKinley, P. A. Vasquez and L. P. Cook, Submitted, Wormlike micellar solutions II: Comparison between experimental data and scission model predictions, Journal of Rheology.
- Walker, L. M., P. Moldenaers and J.-F. Berret, 1996, Macroscopic response of wormlike micelles to elongational flow, Langmuir 12, 6309-6314.
- Hu, Y. T. and A. Lips, 2005, Kinetics and mechanism of shear banding in an entangled micellar solution, Journal of Rheology 49, 1001-1027.
- Pathak, J. A. and S. D. Hudson, 2006, Rheo-optics of equilibrium polymer solutions: Wormlike micelles in elongational flow in a microfluidic cross-slot, Macromolecules 39, 8782-8792.
- Akers, B. and A. Belmonte, 2006, Impact dynamics of a solid sphere falling into a viscoelastic micellar fluid, Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics 135, 97-108.
- Berret, J.-F., J. Appell and G. Porte, 1993, Linear rheology of entangled wormlike micelles, Langmuir 9, 2851-2854.
- Jayaraman, A. and A. Belmonte, 2003, Oscillations of a solid sphere falling through a wormlike micellar fluid, Physical Review E 67, 065301.
- Anna, S. L. and G. H. McKinley, 2001, Elasto-capillary-thinning and breakup of model elastic liquids, Journal of Rheology 45, 115-138.
- Rehage, H. and H. Hoffmann, 1991, Viscoelastic surfactant solutions: Model systems for rheological research, Molecular Physics 74, 933-973.
- Tirtaatmadja, V., G. H. McKinley and J. J. Cooper-White, 2006, Drop formation and breakup of low viscosity elastic fluids: Effects of molecular weight and concentration, Physics of Fluids 18, 043101-043118.
저자의 다른 논문
- 2000 "Three-dimensional numerical simulation of nonisothermal coextrusion process with generalized Newtonian fluids" Korea-Australia rheology journal 12 (3): 165~173
- 2001 "Coupled approach of analytical and numerical methods for shape prediction in sheet casting process" Korea-Australia rheology journal 13 (3): 131~139
- 2001 "Numerical simulation of coextrusion process of viscoelastic fluids using the open boundary condition method" Korea-Australia rheology journal 13 (1): 37~45
- 2001 "내충격성 폴리스티렌의 형태구조 및 고무상 입도분포 해석" 폴리머 = Polymer (Korea) 25 (5): 744~753
- 2002 "Large amplitude oscillatory shear behavior of the network model for associating polymeric systems" Korea-Australia rheology journal 14 (2): 49~55
- 2004 "Modeling of hollow formation and its dynamics in liquid gas assisted injection molding process" Korea-Australia rheology journal 16 (1): 27~33
- 2004 "Vortex behavior in the inertial flow of viscoelastic fluids past a confined cylinder" Korea-Australia rheology journal 16 (3): 117~128
- 2004 "Shear induced damage of red blood cells monitored by the decrease of their deformability" Korea-Australia rheology journal 16 (3): 141~146
- 2004 "Strain hardening behavior of linear polymer melts" Korea-Australia rheology journal 16 (4): 213~218
- 2005 "Effective in-situ preparation and characteristics of polystyrene-grafted carbon nanotube composites" Korea-Australia rheology journal 17 (2): 41~45
- 원문이 없습니다.
- 원문이 없습니다.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기