Start-up times in viscoelastic channel and pipe flows
Start-up times in viscoelastic channel and pipe flows generated by the sudden imposition of a pressure gradient are here determined by a mixed analytical/numerical procedure. The rheological models considered are the upper convected Maxwell and the Oldroyd-B equations. With these models the flow evolves asymptotically to the steady state solution after a transient regime presenting strong oscillations of the velocity fields, hence implying a special procedure for the calculation of the start-up time. This time interval required for establishment of steady flow tends to increase significantly with elasticity, at a constant rate of increase for the UCM model, but the increase becoming less than linear for the Oldroyd-B model. No wiggles or artificial oscillations were observed for the variation of the start-up times with the elasticity number.
- Bromwich, T.J., 1930, An application of Heaviside's methods of viscous fluid motion, J. London Math. Soc. 5, 10-13.
- Ren, L. and K-Q. Zhu, 2004, Dual role of viscosity during startup of a Maxwell fluid in a pipe, Chin. Phy. Let. 21, 114-116.
- Wood, W.P., 2001, Transient viscoelastic helical flows in pipes of circular and annular cross-section, J. Non-Newtonian Fluid Mech. 100, 115-126.
- Park, K.S. and Y.D. Kwon, 2009, Numerical description of startup viscoelastic plane Poiseuille flow, Korea-Australia Rheology J. 21, 47-58.
- Waters, N.D. and M.J. King, 1970, Unsteady flow of an elastico-viscous liquid, Rheologica Acta 9, 345-355.
- Akyildiz, F.T. and R.S. Jones, 1993, The generation of steady flow in a rectangular duct, Rheologica Acta 32, 499-504.
- Rahaman, K.D. and H. Ramkissoon, 1995, Unsteady axial viscoleastic pipe flows, J. Non-Newtonian Fluid Mech. 57, 27-38.
- Balmer, R.T. and M.A. Fiorina, 1980, Unsteady flow of an inelastic power-law fluid in a circular tube, J. Non-Newtonian Fluid Mech. 7, 189-198.
- Waters, N.D. and M.J. King, 1971,The unsteady flow of an elastico-viscous liquid in a straight pipe of circular cross section, J. Phys.D: Appl. Phys. 4, 204-211.
- Oldroyd, J.G., 1950, On the formulation of rheological equations of state, Proc R. Soc. A 200, 523-541.
- Bird, R.B., R.C. Armstrong and O. Hassager, 1987, Dynamics of Polymeric Liquids, Vol. 1: Fluid Mechanics, 2nd ed., John Wiley, New York.
- Letelier, M.F. and J.F. Cespedes 1988, Laminar Unsteady Flow of Elementary Non-Newtonian Fluids in Long Pipes, Chapter 3 in Encyclopedia of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 7, Rheology and Non- Newtonian Flows, Ed. N.P. Cheremisinoff, Golf Publishing Company, Houston, 55-87.
- Szymanski, P., 1932, Quelques solutions exactes des equations de l'hydrodynamique du fluide visquex dans le cas d'un tube cylindrique, J. Math. Pures Appl. (Series 9) 11, 67-107.
- Duarte, A.S.R., A.I.P. Miranda and P.J. Oliveira, 2008, Numerical and analytical modeling of unsteady viscoelastic flows: the start-up and pulsating test case problems, J. Non-Newtonian Fluid Mech. 154, 153-169.
- Zhen, L. and K-Q. Zhu, 2010, Effects of relaxation time on start-up time for starting flow of Maxwell fluid in a pipe, Acta Mech. Sin. 26, (in press).
- Sestak, J. and M.E. Charles, 1968, An approximate solution for start-up flow of a power-law fluid in a tube, Chem. Eng. Sci., 23, 1127-1137.
- 원문이 없습니다.
- 원문이 없습니다.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기