Ribbing instability in rigid and deformable forward roll coating flows
Dynamics and ribbing instability for Newtonian and viscoelastic liquids have been investigated in both rigid and deformable forward roll coating flows. Especially, the role of viscoelasticity of coating liquids and roll deformability or hardness on the coating flow has been scrutinized. Coating thickness at steady uniform states and wavelength and severity at unstable ribbing states have been measured, incorporating thickness measurement device and two-roll coating equipment. Relationship between wavelength and severity in ribbing instability strongly depends on the viscoelasticity as well as other operating conditions such as capillary number, coating gap, and roll de formability. Coating windows demarcating uniform and ribbing instability are considerably reduced by increasing viscoelasticity and decreasing roll deformability. In other words, ribbing is aggravated as the viscoelasticity of coating liquids that can generate the extensional property in film splitting region rises or roll deformability decreases, leading to higher severity and narrower wavelength.
- Benjamin, D.F., 1994, Roll Coating Flows and Multiple Roll Systems, Ph.D. thesis, University of Minnesota.
- Benkreira, H., M.F. Edwards and W.L. Wilkinson, 2002, "Dynamic wetting in metering and pre-metered forward roll coating," Chem. Eng. Sci., 57, 3025-3032.
- Dontula, P., M. Parsquali, C.W. Macosko and L.E. Scriven, 1997, "Can extensional viscosity be measured with opposed nozzle devices," Rheol. Acta., 36, 429-448.
- Gaskell, P.H., N. Kapur and M.D. Savage, 2001, Bead-break instability, Phys. Fluids, 13, 1243-1253.
- Greener, J., T. Sullivan, B. Turner and S. Middleman, 1980, Ribbing instability of a two-roll coater: Newtonian fluids, Chem. Eng. Commun., 5, 73-83.
- Gutoff, E.B. and E.D. Cohen, 1995, Coating and Drying Defects, John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- Kistler, S.F. and P.M. Schweizer, 1997, Liquid Film Coating, Chapman & Hall, New York.
- Middleman, S., 1977, Fundamentals of Polymer Processing, McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Mill, C.C. and G.R. South, 1967, Formation of ribs on rotating rollers, J. Fluid Mech., 28, 523-529.
- Hao, Y. and S. Haber, 1999, Reverse roll coating flow, Int. J. Numer. Meth. Fl., 30, 635-652.
- Hasegawa, T. and K. Sorimachi, 1993, Wavelength and depth of ribbing in roll coating and its elimination, AIChE J. 39, 935-945.
- Fall, C., 1978, Surface ribbing of a thin viscous fluid from emerging from a spreader or roller, Trans. ASME., 100, 462-466.
- Savage, M.D., 1984, Mathematical model for the onset of ribbing, AIChE J., 30, 999-1002.
- Varela Lopez, F., L. Pauchard, M. Rosen and M. Rabaud, 2002, Non-Newtonian effects on ribbing instability threshold, J. Non-Newtonian Fluid Mech., 103, 123-139.
- Han, S.K., D.M. Shin, H.Y. Park, H.W. Jung and J.C. Hyun, 2009, Effect of viscoelasticity on dynamics and stability in roll coatings, Eur. Phys. J. Special Topics, 166, 107-110.
- Carvalho, M.S. and L.E. Scriven, 1999, Three-dimensional stability analysis of free surface flows: Application to forward deformable roll coating, J. Comput. Phys., 151, 534-562.
- Gokhale, V.V., 1981, Bounds for region of ribbing instability in some free surface coating flows, J. Rheol., 25, 421-432.
- Kistler, S.F. and L.E. Scriven, 1984, Coating flow theory by finite element and asymptotic analysis of the Navier-Stokes system, Int. J. Numer. Meth. Fluids, 4, 207-229.
- Coyle, D.J., 1984, The Fluid Mechanics of Roll Coating, Ph.D. thesis, University of Minnesota.
- Castillo, M. and A.T. Patera, 1997, Three-dimensional ribbing instability in symmetric forward-roll film-coating processes, J. Fluid Mech., 335, 323-359.
- Chong, Y.H., P.H. Gaskell and N. Kapur, 2007, Coating with deformable rolls: An experimental investigation of ribbing instability, Chem. Eng. Sci., 62, 4138-4145.
- Weinstein, S.J. and K.R. Ruschak, 2004, Coating flows, Ann. Rev. Fluid Mech., 36, 29-53.
- Carvalho, M.S. and L.E. Scriven, 1997, Deformable roll coating flows: Steady and linear perturbation analysis, J. Fluid Mech., 339, 143-172.
- Zevallos, G.A., M.S. Carvalho and M. Pasquali, 2005, Forward roll coating flows of viscoelastic liquids, J. Non-Newtonian Fluid Mech., 130, 96-109.
- Cohen, E.D. and E.B. Gutoff, 1992, Modern Coating and Drying Technology, VCH Publishers, New York.
- Dontula, P., 1999, Polymer Solutions in Coating Flows, Ph.D. thesis, University of Minnesota.
- Carvalho, M.S., 1996, Roll Coating Flows in Rigid and Deformable Gaps, Ph.D. thesis, University of Minnesota.
- Carvalho, M.S., 2003, Effect of thickness and viscoelastic properties of roll cover on deformable roll coating flows, Chem. Eng. Sci., 58, 4323-4333.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (2)
- Kim, Jin-Ho ; Lee, In-Jun ; Noh, Seung-Man ; Kang, Choong-Yeol ; Nam, Joon-Hyun ; Jung, Hyun-Wook ; Park, Jong-Myung 2011. "Dynamics and Instability of a Polymeric Paint in Roll Coating Process for Automotive Pre-coating Application" 폴리머 = Polymer (Korea), 35(6): 574~579
- Lee, Moon-Kyu ; Lee, Sang-Hyuk ; Hur, Nahm-Keon ; Seo, Young-Jin ; Kim, In-Cheol ; Lee, Sung-Jin 2011. "A Numerical Study on Dynamic Characteristics of Counter-Rotating Rigid/Deformable Rolls in Press Contact" 大韓機械學會論文集. Transactions of the Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers. A. A, 35(8): 869~876
- 원문이 없습니다.
- 원문이 없습니다.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기