Characteristics of Photosynthetic Pigments during the Outbreak of Harmful Algal Bloom at the South Coastal Area in the Korean Sea Waters
Cochlodinium polykrikoides has occurs regularly during the summer in the South Sea of Korea. To investigate photosynthetic pigments concerned with phytoplankton community structure as bloom of Cochlodinium polykrikoides, the experiment was sampled at 20 stations three times between July and September 2002 in the Southern Sea of Korea. The distribution of peridinin, the biomarker of dinoflagellate, was higher at the blooming time than it was before and it disappeared after bloom. The correlative coefficients between Chl. a and peridinin at the blooming time and out of bloom were 0.9253 and 0.1613, respectively. This result indicated that the bloom was caused by dinoflagellate. The correlative coefficients between Chl. a and fucoxanthin were 0.3282 and 0.9759, respectively, and the correlative coefficients showed the succession from dinoflagellate to diatom. This result means that the bloom of Cochlodinium polykrikoides can be detected by Chl. a information from satellite remote sensing. Therefore, if the algorithm to detect peridinin in addition to Chl. a were to be developed, dinoflagellate red tide could be monitored more effectively.
- Bidigare RR, JT Frank, C Zastrow and JM Brooks. 1986. The distribution of algal chlorophylls and their degradation products in thesouthern ocean. Deep-sea Research 33:923-937.
- Bjornland T and K Tangen 1979. Pigmentation and morphology of a marine Gyrodinium (Dinophyceae) with a major carotenoid different from peridinin and fucoxanthin. J. Phycol. 15:457-463.
- Foss P, T Storebakken, K Schiedt, S Liaaen-Jensen, E Austreng and K Streiff. 1984. Carotenoids in diets for salmonids.1. Pigmentation of rainbow trout with the individual optical isomers of astaxanthin in comparison with canthaxanthin. Aquaculture 41:213-226.
- Gieske WWC, GW Kraay. 1986a. Floristic and physiological difference between the shallow and the deep nanopytoplankton community in the euphotic zone of the open tropical Atlantic reveales by HPLC analysis of pigments. Marine Biology 91:567-576.
- Gieskes WWC and GW Kraay. 1983. Dominance of Cryptophyceae during the phytoplankton spring bloom in the central North Sea detected by HPLC analysis of pigments. Marine Biology 75:179-185.
- Gieskes WWC and GW Kraay. 1988. Monsoonal alternation of a mixed and a layered structure in the phytoplankton of the euphotic zone of the Banda Sea (indonesia): A mathematical analysis of algal pigment fingerprints. NETH. J. Sea Res. 22:123-137.
- Kim HG, CS Jung, WA Lim, CK Lee, SY Kim, SH Youn, YC Cho and SG Lee. 2001. The Spatio-Temporal Progress of Cochlodinium polykrikoides blooms in the coastal waters of Korea. J. Korean Fish. Soc. 34:691-696.
- Hooks CE, RR Bidigare, MD Keller and RRL Guillard. 1988. Coccoid eukaryotic marine ultraplankters with four different HPLC pigment signatures. J. Phycol. 24:571-580.
- Hurley JP and CJ Watras. 1991. Identification of bacteriochlorophylls in lakes via reverse-phase HPLC. Limnology and Oceanography. 32:307315.
- Karthals HJ and CLM Steenbergen. 1985. Seperation and quantification of pigments from natural phototrophic microbial populations. FED. Microbial. Ecol. 31:177-185.
- Lorenzen CJ. 1967. Determination of chlorophyll and phaeopigments: spectrophotometric equations, Limnol. Oceanogr. 12.
- Lorenzen CJ. 1974. Chlorophyll-degradation products sediments of Black sea -geology, chemistry, and biology. E. Degens and D.A.Ross, editors, Memoris of the American Association of Petroleum Geologists. 20:426-428.
- Mantoura RFC and CA Llewllyn. 1983. The rapid determination of algal chlorophyll and carotenoid pigments and their breakdown products in natural waters by Reverse-Phase High-Performance Liquid Chromatography. Analytica Chimica Acta. 151:297-314.
- Nelson JR. 1989. Phytoplankton pigments in macrozooplankton feces: Variability in carotenoid alterations. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 52:129-144.
- Roy S. 1988. Effects of changes in Physiological condition on HPLC-defined chloropigment composition of Phaeodactylum tricornutum (Bohlin) in batch and turbidostat cultures. J. Exp. Mar. Ecol. 18:137-149.
- Sun S, FX Cunningham and E Gantt. 1998. Differential expression of two isopentenyl pyrophosphate isomerases and enhanced carotenoid accumulation in a unicellular chlorophyte. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 95:11482-11488.
- WA Lim, CK Kang, SY Kim, SG Lee, HG Kim and IK Chung. 2003. Short-term Changes of Community srtucture of Phytoplankton in summer around Namhae Island of Korea. J. Korean Algae. Soc. 18:49-58.
- Wong GTF, GC Gong, KK Liu and SC Pai. 1998. Excess Nitrate in the East China Sea, Esturine, Coastal and Shelf Science 46:411-418.
- Wright SW and JD Shearer. 1984. Rapid extraction and high performance liquid chromatography of chlorophylls and carotenoids from marine phytoplankton. J. Chromatogr. 294:281-295.
- Wright SW and SW Jeffery. 1987. Fucoxanthin pigment markers of marine phytoplankton analysrd by HPLC and HPTLC. Mar. Ecol (Prog. Ser.). 38:259-266.
- Yacobi YZ, RFC Mantoura and CA Llewellyn. 1991. The distribution of chlorophylls, carotenoids and their breakdown products in Lake Kinneret (Israel) sediments. Freshwater biology. 26:1-10.
- Zapata M, AM Ayaia, JM Franco and JL Garrido. 1987. Separation of chlorophylls and their degradation products in marine phytoplankton by reverse high-performance liquid chromatography. Chromatographia 23:26-30.
- Gieskes WWC and GW Kraay. 1986b. Analysis of phytoplankton by HPLc before, during and after mass occurrence of the microflagellate Corymbellus during the spring bloom in the open northern North Sea in 1983. Marine Biology 92:45-52.
- Jeffery SW. 1974. Profile of photosynthetic pigments in the ocean using thin layer chromatography. Mar. Biol. 26:101-110.
- Wright SW, SW Jeffrey, RFC Mantoura, CA Llewellyn, T Bjornland, D Repeta and N Welschmeyer. 1991. Improved HPLC method for the analysis of chlorophylls and carotenoids from marine phytoplankton. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 77:183-196.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기