Biodegradation of Gas-phase Styrene in a High-performance Biotrickling Filter using Porous Polyurethane Foam as a Packing Medium
A biotrickling filter (BTF) packed with porous polyurethane (PU) foam sheets was developed and operated for removal of gas-phase styrene. The specific surface area and void fraction of the PU foam sheet were determined to be 497 $m^2/m^3$ and 0.92, respectively, by using mathematical modeling and experimental measurement. The effects of gas flow direction (co-current and counter-current), styrene loading rate and empty bed residence time on the efficiency of the BTF were analyzed. The BTF achieved a high elimination capacity of 4.0 ~ 5.0 kg styrene/ $m^3$ day due to the high specific surface area of the PU foam. The BTF could be operated repeatedly when excessively-grown biomass was periodically removed, using circulating NaOH solution for 2 h every four days.
- Malhautier, L., N. Khammar, S. Bayle, and J. L. Fanlo (2005) Biofiltration of volatile organic compounds. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 68: 16-22.
- Hwang, J. W., C. Y. Choi, S. Park, and E. Y. Lee (2008) Biodegradation of gaseous styrene by Brevibacillus sp. using a novel agitating biotrickling filter. Biotechnol. Lett. 30: 1207-1212.
- Kennes, C. and M. C. Veiga (2002) Inert filter media for the biofiltration of waste gases-characteristics and biomass control. Rev. Environ. Sci. Biotechnol. 1: 201-214.
- Hwang, J. W., S. J. Jang, E. Y. Lee, C. Y. Choi, and S. Park (2007) Evaluation of composts as biofilter packing material for treatment of gaseous p-xylene. Biochem. Eng. J. 35: 142-149.
- Moe, W. M. and R. L. Irvine (2001) Polyurethane foam based biofilter media for toluene removal. Water Sci. Technol. 43: 35-42.
- Sorial, G. A., F. L. Smith, M. T. Suidan, and P. Biswas (1995) Evaluation of trickle bed biofilter media for toluene removal. J. Air Waste Manage. Assoc. 45: 801-810.
- Lee, E. Y., B. D. Ye, and S. Park (2003) Development and operation of a trickling biofilter system for continuous treatment of gas-phase trichloroethylene. Biotechnol. Lett. 25: 1757-1761.
- Kim, D., Z. Cai, and G. A. Sorial (2005) Evaluation of tricklebed air biofilter performance under periodic stressed operating conditions as a function of styrene loading. J. Air Waste Manag. Assoc. 55: 200-209.
- Chung, J. K., W. Yuan, G. Liu, and J. Zheng (2006) Investigation of bioactivation and toxicity of styrene in CYP2E1 transgenic cells. Toxicol. 226: 99-106.
- Roe, F. J. C. (1994) Styrene: Toxicity studies -what do they show? Crit. Rev. Toxicol. 24: 117-125.
- Mi So Park, Ju Hee Han, Seung Shick Yoo, Eun Yeol Lee, Sun Gu Lee, and Sunghoon Park (2005) Degradation of styrene by a new isolate Pseudomonas putida SN1. Kor. J. Chem. Eng. 22: 418-424.
- Delhomenie, M. C., L. Bibeau, J. Gendron, R. Brzezinski, and M. Heitz (2003) A study of clogging in a biofilter treating toluene vapors. Chem. Eng. J. 94: 211-222.
- Iliuta, I. and F. Larachi (2004) Transient biofilter aerodynamics and clogging for VOC degradation. Chem. Eng. Sci. 59: 3293-3302.
- Smith, F. L., G. A. Sorial, M. T. Suidan, A. W. Breen, P. Biswas, and R. C. Brenner (1996) Development of two biomass control strategies for extended, stable operation of highly efficient biofilters with high toluene loadings. Environ. Sci. Technol. 30: 1744-1751.
- Weber, F. J. and S. Hartmans (1996) Prevention of clogging in a biological trickle-bed reactor removing toluene from contaminated air. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 50: 91-97.
- Diks, R. M. M., S. P. P. Ottengraf, and A. H. C. van den Oever (1994) The influence of NaCl on the degradation rate of dichloromethane by Hyphomicrobium sp. Biodegradation 5: 129-141.
- Moon, C. (2003) High performance biotrickling filter for gaseous styrene removal. M.S. Thesis. Pusan National University, Busan, Korea.
- Zilli, M., E. Palazzi, L. Sene, A. Converti, and M. del Borghi (2001) Toluene and styrene removal from air in biofilters. Proc. Biochem. 37: 423-429.
- Chou, M. S. and C. C. Hsiao (1998) Treatment of styrenecontaminated airstream in biotrickling filter packed with slags. J. Environ. Eng. 124: 844-850.
- Devinny, J. S., M. A. Deshusses, and T. S. Webster (1999) Biofiltration for air pollution control, Lewis Publishers, CRC Press, USA.
- Cai, Z., D. Kim, and G. A. Sorial (2006) Performance of tricklebed air biofilter: a comparative study of a hydrophilic and a hydrophobic VOC. Water Air Soil Poll. Focus 6: 57-69.
- Cox, H. H. J., R. E. Moerman, S. Van Baalen, W. N. M. van Heiningen, H. J. Dodderma, and W. Harder (1997) Performance of a styrene degrading biofilter containing the yeast Exophiala jeanselmei. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 53: 259-266.
- 원문이 없습니다.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기