MODEL-BASED CONTROL OF AN ELECTROPNEUMATIC BRAKE SYSTEM FOR COMMERCIAL VEHICLES
A properly functioning brake system is critical for ensuring the safe operation of any vehicle on roadways. Commercial vehicles such as trucks, tractors-trailers and buses are equipped with an air brake system that uses compressed air as the energy transmitting medium. This paper presents a model-based control scheme for an electropneumatic brake system for use in commercial vehicles. A mathematical model for an electropneumatic brake system was developed and corroborated with experimental data. A control scheme was developed based on this model and was used to regulate the pressure of air inside the brake chamber according to a desired pressure trajectory. This control scheme was implemented on an experimental test bench, and its performance was studied for various values of the controller parameter. The control scheme was tested for various desired pressure trajectories reflecting actual brake operation.
- Bowlin, C. L., Subramanian, S. C., Darbha, S. and Rajagopal, K. R. (2006). Pressure control scheme for air brakes in commercial vehicles. IEE Proc. Intelligent Transportation Systems, 153, 21-32.
- Buckman, L. C. (1998). Commercial vehicle braking systems: Air brakes, ABS and beyond, the 43rd L. Ray Buckendale Lecture. Int. Trucks and Bus Meeting and Exposition, SAE, Indianapolis.
- CMVR Rules (2009). G.S.R 589(E) dt. 16/9/2005, Available at http://morth.nic.in/index3.asp?langid=2&sublink2id= 261, Accessed April 2009.
- Francher, P., Bareket, Z., Bogard, S., MacAdam, C. and Ervin, R. (1997). Tests characterizing performance of an adaptive cruise control system. SAE Paper No. 970458.
- Garrett, T. K., Newton, K. and Steeds, W. (2001). The Motor Vehicle. 13th Edn. SAE. Warrendale. Pennsylvania.
- Gerdes, J. C. and Hedrick, J. K. (1999). Brake system modelling for simulation and control. ASME J. Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control, 121, 496-503.
- Indian Standards for Automotive Vehicles (2003). Brakes and Braking Systems. IS 11852, (Part 9).
- Karthikeyan, P. and Subramanian, S. C. (2009). Development and modelling of an electropneumatic brake system. Proc. 2009 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symp., Xi'an, China, 858？863.
- Khan, Y., Kulkarni, P. and Youcef-Toumi, K. (1994). Modeling, experimentation and simulation of a brake apply system. ASME J. Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control, 116, 111-122.
- Lindemann, K., Petersen, E., Schult, M. and Korn, A. (1997). EBS and tractor trailer brake compatibility. SAE Paper No. 973283.
- Martin, P. (1993). Autonomous intelligent cruise control incorporating automatic braking. SAE Paper No. 930510.
- Murphy, B. R. (1997). Anti-lock braking systems for North American buses, coaches and motorhomes. SAE Paper No. 973248.
- Natarajan, S. V., Subramanian, S. C., Swaroop, D. and Rajagopal, K. R. (2006). A model of the relay valve used in an air brake system. Nonlinear Analysis: Hybrid Systems, 1, 430-442.
- Riley, B., Kuo, G., Schwartz, B., Zumberge, J. and Shipp, K. (2000). Development of a controlled braking strategy for vehicles adaptive cruise control. SAE Paper No. 2000-01-0109, 140？144.
- Subramanian, S. C., Swaroop, D. and Rajagopal, K. R. (2004). Modeling the pneumatic subsystem of an S-cam air brake system. ASME J. Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control, 126, 36-46.
- Subramanian, S. C., Swaroop, D. and Rajagopal, K. R. (2006). A diagnostic system for air brakes in commercial vehicles. IEEE Trans. Intelligent Transportation Systems, 7, 360-376.
- Woll, J. D. (1997). Radar-based adaptive cruise control for truck applications. SAE Paper No. 973184.
- Wrede, J. and Decker, H. (1992). Brake by wire for commercial vehicles. SAE Paper No. 922489.
- Wuh, D. (1994). Design and comparison of autonomous intelligent cruise control systems. SAE Paper No. 942405.
- Wang, X.-D., Hu, Y.-J., Li, C.-G. and Wang, X.-L. (2004). Modelling and analysis of an airover-hydraulic brake system. Proc. IMechE, Part D: J. Automobile Engineering, 218, 805-815.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (1)
- 2013. "" International journal of automotive technology, 14(6): 941~953
- 원문이 없습니다.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기