AGE AND CROSS-CULTURAL COMPARISON OF DRIVERS' COGNITIVE WORKLOAD AND PERFORMANCE IN SIMULATED URBAN DRIVING
Driving demands significant psychomotor attention and requires even more when drivers are engaged in secondary tasks that increase cognitive workload and divert attention. It is well established that age influences driving risk. Less is known about how culture impacts changes in attention. We conducted parallel driving simulations in the US and Korea to measure the extent to which age and culture influence dual-task performance. There were 135 participants divided into two groups: a younger group aged 20~29, and an older group aged 60~69. Whereas some differences by culture appeared in absolute control measures, the younger participants showed similar mean velocity and compensatory patterns associated with increased cognitive load in the urban setting; however, the results from the older samples were less similar.
- Boyle, J., Dienstfrey, S. and Sothoron, A. (1996). National Survey of Speeding and Other Unsafe Driving Actions (No. DOT HS 808 749). Washington, DC. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
- Cha, D. W. and Park, P. (2006). Simulator-based human factors evaluation of automated highway system. Int. J. Automotive Technology 7, 5, 625-635.
- D'Ambrosio, L. A., Meyer, J., Coughlin, J. F. and Mohyde, M. (2008). Self-regulation among Older Drivers: A Costbenefit Approach. Unpublished Manuscript. Cambridge. MA.
- Folstein, M. F., Folstein, S. E. and McHugh, P. R. (1975). Mini mental state: A practical method for grading the cognitive state for the clinician. J. Psychiatry Research 12, 3, 189 198.
- Haigney, D. E., Taylor, R. G. and Westerman, S. J. (2000). Concurrent mobile (cellular) phone use and driving performance: Task demand characteristics and compensatory processes. Transportation Research Part F, 3, 113？121.
- Harms, L. (1991). Variation in drivers' cognitive load: Effects of driving through village areas and rural junctions. Ergonomics 34, 2, 151-160.
- Matthews, G., Tsuda, A., Xin, G. and Ozeki, Y. (1999). Individual differences in driver stress vulnerability in a Japanese sample. Ergonomics 42, 3, 387？414.
- McDowd, J. M., Vercruyssen, M. and Birren, J. E. (1991). Aging, Divided Attention, and Dual-task Performance. In: D. L. Damos, Edn. Multiple-Task Performance. Taylor & Francis Ltd. London. 387？414.
- Mehler, B., Reimer, B., Pohlmeyer, A. E. and Coughlin, J. F. (2008). The association between heart rate reactivity and driving performance under dual task demands in late middle age drivers. Advances in Transportation Studies, Int. J., Special Issue, 53-70.
- Mehler, B., Reimer, B., Coughlin, J. F. and Dusek, J. A. (2009). The impact of incremental increases in cognitive workload on physiological arousal and performance in young adult drivers. Transportation Research Record, 2138, 6-12.
- Nordfjaern, T. and Rundmo, T. (2009). Perceptions of traffic risk in an industrialized and a developing country. Transportation Research Part F, 12, 91？98.
- Reimer, B. (2009). Cognitive task complexity and the impact on drivers' visual tunneling. Transportation Research Record, 2138, 13？19.
- Reimer, B., D'Ambrosio, L. A., Coughlin, J. F., Kafrissen, M. E. and Biederman, J. (2006). Using self-reported data to assess the validity of driving simulation data. Behavior Research Methods 38, 2, 314？324.
- Reimer, B., D'Ambrosio, L. D., Coughlin, J. F., Fried, R. and Biederman, J. (2007). Task-induced fatigue and collisions in adult drivers with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Traffic Injury Prevention 8, 3, 290？299.
- Reimer, B., Mehler, B., Son, J., Pohlmeyer, A. E., Orszulak, J., Long, J. and Coughlin, J. (2009). A cross cultural comparison of younger and older adults' simulated highway driving performance under single and dual task conditions. Proc. 5th Int. Symp. Human Factors in Driver Assessment, Training and Vehicle Design. Big Sky, MT, 206？213.
- Reimer, B., Mehler, B., Coughlin, J. F., Wang, Y., D'Ambrosio, L. A., Roy, N., Long, J., Bell, A., Wood, D. and Dusek, J. A. (2008). A comparison of the effect of a low to moderately demanding cognitive task on simulated driving performance and heart rate in middle aged and young adult drivers. Proc. Int. Conf. Cyberworlds. Hangzhou, China, 493？500.
- Reimer, B., Mehler, B. L., Pohlmeyer, A. E., Coughlin, J. F. and Dusek, J. A. (2006). The use of heart rate in a driving simulator as an indicator of age-related differences in driver workload. Advances in Transportation Studies an Int. J., Special Issue, 9？20.
- Rogers, W. A. and Fisk, A. D. (2001). Understanding the Role of Attention in Cognitive Aging Research. J. E. Birren and K. W. Schaie, Edn. Handbook of the Psychology of Aging. Elsevier Science. Oxford. UK.
- Stutts, J. C. and Hunter, W. W. (2003). Driver inattention, driver distraction and traffic crashes. ITE J. 73, 7, 34？45.
- Warner, H. W., Ozkan, T. and Lajunen, T. (2009). Crosscultural differences in drivers' speed choice. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 41, 816？819.
- Zeitlin, L. R. (1993). Subsidiary task measures of driver mental workload: A long-term field study. Transportation Research Record 1403, 23？27.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (6)
- Park, Su-Wan ; Son, Jun-U 2011. "Implementation of a Vehicle Monitoring System using Multimodal Information" 大韓交通學會誌 = Journal of Korean Society of Transportation, 29(3): 41~48
- 2011. "" International journal of precision engineering and manufacturing, 12(1): 135~141
- 2011. "" International journal of automotive technology, 12(2): 265~272
- Son, Joonwoo ; Park, Myoungouk 2013. "The Impact of Cognitive Workload on Driving Performance and Visual Attention in Younger and Older Drivers" 한국자동차공학회논문집 = Transactions of the Korean Society of Automotive Engineers, 21(4): 62~69
- 2013. "" International journal of precision engineering and manufacturing, 14(8): 1321~1327
- Hong, Wongi ; Lee, Wonsup ; Jung, Kihyo ; Lee, Baekhee ; Park, Jangwoon ; Park, Suwan ; Park, Yunsuk ; Son, Joonwoo ; Park, Seikwon ; You, Heecheon 2014. "Development of an Evaluation Method for a Driver's Cognitive Workload Using ECG Signal" 대한산업공학회지 = Journal of Korean institute of industrial engineers, 40(3): 325~332
- 원문이 없습니다.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기