Assessment of Genetic Divergence in Salt Tolerance of Soybean (Glycine max L.) Genotypes
A large number of soybean (Glycine max L.) genotypes of diverse growth habit and adaptive characters were used in the experiment. Soil salinity-induced changes in nine morpho-physiological characters of 30-day-old seedlings of 170 soybean genotypes were compared in the study. The first and second principal components (PC) of principal component analysis (PCA) results accounted for 97 and 2.5%, respectively, of the total variations of soybean genotypes. The variation for the first PC was composed mainly of relative total dry weight (DW), relative shoot dry weight, as well as petiole dry weight. There were four clusters distinguished in the cluster analysis. The genotypes in cluster IV performed better in respect to relative total dry weight and relative shoot dry weight and hence having salt tolerance. The genotypes clusters III performed very poorly and those of clusters II and I were moderate to poor. $D^2$ analysis indicated that the clusters differed significantly from each other. Discriminant function analysis (DFA) again asserts strongly that more than 92% of the genotypes were correctly assigned to clusters. Both PCA and DFA confirmed that the relative total DW followed by shoot and petiole DW were the major discriminatory variables, and the root DW were the secondary important variables to distinguish genotypes into groups. In this study, multivariate analyses were used in identifying the soybean genotypes of desirable traits for salt tolerance.
- Ashraf M, McNeilly T. 1987. Salinity effects on five cultivars / lines of pearl millet (Pennisetum americammum (L). Plant Soil 103: 13-19
- Bansal UK, Saivi RG, Rani NS, Kaur A. 1999. Genetic diver gence in quality rice. Oryza 36(1): 20-23
- Cordovilla MP, Ocana A, Ligero F, Lluch C. 1995. Salinity effects on growth analysis and nutrient composition in four grain legumes-Rhizobium symbiosis. J. Plant Nutr. 18: 1595-1609
- FAO (UN Food and Agriculture Organization). 2005
- Hedge SG, Patil CS. 2000. Genetic divergence in rainfed rice. Karnataka J. Agril. Sci. 13 (3): 549-553
- Jha SK, Awasthi IP, Maurya DM. 1999. Genetic divergence in wild rice germplasm of eastern U. P. India. Oryza 36 (20): 157-158
- Kelley DB, Norlyn JD, Epstein E. 1979. Salt tolerant crops and saline water: Resources for arid lands. 326-344. In JR Goodin, DK Northlington, eds, Proc. Int. Arid Lands Conf. Plant Resources, Lubbock, TX. 8-15 Oct. 1978. Texas Tech. Univ. Press, Lubbock
- Kingsbury RW, Epstein E. 1984. Selection for salt resistant spring wheat. Crop Sci. 24: 310-315
- Maas EV, Hoffman GJ. 1977. Crop salt tolerance-current assess ment. J. Irrig. Drainage Div., ASCE 103(IR2): 115-134
- Munns R, James RA. 2003. Screening methods for salinity toler ance: a case study with tetraploid wheat. Plant Soil 253: 201-218
- Munns R, Termaat A. 1986. Whole plant responses to salinity. Aust. J. Plant Physiol. 13: 143-160
- Munns R, Hussain S, Rivelli AR, James RA, Condon AG, Lindsay MP, Lagudah ES, Schachtman DP, Hare RA. 2002. Avenues for increasing salt tolerance of crops, and the role of physiologically based selection traits. Plant Soil 247: 93-105
- Pradhan K, Roy A. 1990. Genetic divergence in rice. Oryza 27: 415-418
- Reddy MP, Vora AB. 1986. Changes in pigment composition, Hill reaction activity and Saccharides metabolism in Bajra (Pennisetum typhoides) leaves under NaCl salinity. Photosynthetica (Praha)
- Rojas W, Barriga P, Figueroa H. 2000. Multivariate analysis of the genetic diversity of Bolivian quinua germplasm. Plant Gen. Res. Newsl. 122: 16-23
- Singh SP, Gutieerrez JA, Molina A, Urrea C, Gepts P. 1991. Genetic diversity in cultivated common bean: marker-based analysis of morphological and agronomic traits. Crop Sci. 31: 23-29
- Zaman TM, Bakri DA. 2003. Dryland salinity and rising water table in the Mulyan creek Catchment, Australia. The University of Sydney Orange Leeds Parade, Orange, NSW 2800, Australia
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기