Oil Biosynthesis and its Related Variables in Developing Seeds of Mustard (Brassica juncea L.) as Influenced by Sulphur Fertilization
The aim of this research was to study the effect of sulphur (S) fertilization on oil biosynthesis and its related variables at various stages of seed development, and to find possible explanations for increased oil content in the seeds of mustard (Brassica juncea L. Czern and Coss) due to S fertilization. Acetyl-CoA carboxylase activity and contents of oil, acetyl-CoA, soluble protein, total RNA, total sugar and sulphur were determined in the developing seeds of mustard grown in the field with sulphur (+S) and without sulphur (-S). The period between 10 to 30 days after flowering was observed as the active period of oil accumulation in the developing seeds of mustard. The accumulation of the oil was preceded by a marked rise in acetyl-CoA carboxylase activity and acetyl-CoA concentration, which declined rapidly when oil accumulation reached a plateau. Total sugar content decreased, while protein content increased during the active period of oil accumulation in the developing seeds (i.e. between 10-30 days after flowering). Sulphur fertilization significantly (P
- Abdin MZ, Ahmad A, Khan N, Khan I, Jamal A, Iqbal M. 2003. Sulphur interaction with other nutrients, In YP, Abrol, A Ahmad, eds, Sulphur in Plants, Kluwer Academic Publishers, The Netherlands, pp 359-374
- Ahmad A, Abdin MZ. 2000a. Effect of sulphur application on lipid, RNA and fatty acid content in developing seeds of rapeseed (Brassica campestris L.). Plant Sci. 152: 71-76
- Ahmad A, Abdin MZ. 2000b. Photosynthesis and its related physiological variables in the leaves of Brassica genotypes as influenced by sulphur fertilization. Physiol. Plant. 110: 144-149
- Ahmad A, Abraham G, Abdin MZ. 1999a. Physiological investigation of the impact of nitrogen and sulphur application on seed and oil yield of rapeseed (Brassica campestris L.) and mustard (Brassica juncea L. Czern. and Coss.) genotypes. J. Agron. Crop Sci. 183: 19-25
- Ahmad A, Abraham G, Gandotra N, Abrol YP, Abdin MZ. 1998. Interactive effect of nitrogen and sulphur on growth and yield of rapeseed-mustard (Brassica juncea L. Czern and Coss and Brassica campestris L.) genotypes. J. Agron. Crop Sci. 181: 193-199
- Ahmad A, Abrol YP, Abdin MZ. 1999b. Effect of split application of sulphur and nitrogen on growth and yield attributes of Brassica genotypes differing in time of flowering. Can. J. Plant Sci. 79: 175-180
- Ahmad A, Khan I, Abdin MZ. 2000. Effect of S fertilization on oil accumulation, acetyl-CoA concentration and acetyl-CoA carboxylase activity in the developing seeds of rapeseed (Brassica campestris L.). Aust. J. Agri. Res. 51: 1023-1029.
- Applequvist LA. 1977. Relationship between the use of fertilizers and the production of lipids, In Proc. 13th IPI-Colloquium of the Int. Potash Inst., New York, pp 257-268
- Asare E, Scarisbrick DH. 1995. Rate of N and S fertilizers on yield, yield components and seed quality of oilseed rape (Brassica napus L.). Field Crops Res. 44: 41-46
- Aulakh MS, Pasricha NS, Sahota NS. 1980. Yield, nutrient concentration and quality of mustard crops as influenced by sulphur and nitrogen fertilizer. J. Agric. Sci. (Cambridge) 94: 545-549
- Barney Jr. PE, Bush LP. 1985. Interaction of nitrate and sulphate reduction in tobacco. I. Influence of availability of nitrate and sulphate. J. Plant Nutr. 8: 507-515
- Betty M, Smith AM. 1990. Nature of the effect of the r locus on the lipid content of embryos of peas (Pisum sativum L.). Planta 180: 420-428
- Bradford MM. 1976. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein dye binding. Anal. Biochem. 72: 248-254
- Charles DJ, Hasegawa PM, Cherry JH. 1986. Characterization of acetyl-CoA carboxylase in the seed of two soybean genotypes. Phytochem. 25, 55-59
- Chaubey AK, Dwivedi KN, Yadav RS. 1992. Effect of N, P and S on linseed. J. Ind. Soc. Soil Sci. 40: 758-761
- Chesnin L, Yien CH. 1950. Turbidemetric determination of available sulphates. Soil Sci. Am. Proc. 15: 149-151
- Chung CH, Yee YJ, Kim DH, Kim HK, Chung DS. 1995. Changes in lipid, protein, RNA and fatty acid composition in developing sesame (Sesamum indicum L.) seeds. Plant Sci. 109: 237-241.
- Dey PM. 1990. Methods in Plant Biochemistry, In Carbohydrates, Vol. 2, London
- Dubey OP, Sahu TR, Garg DC. 1994. Response and economics in relation to N and S nutrition in Indian mustard (Brassica juncea). Ind. J. Agron. 39: 49-63.
- Farahbakhsh I, Pakgohar N, Karimi A. 2006. Effects of nitrogen and sulphur fertilizers on yield, yield components and oil content of oilseed rape (Brassica napus L.). Asian J. Plant Sci. 5: 112-115
- Fazli IS, Abdin MZ, Jamal A, Ahmad S. 2005a. Interactive effect of sulphur and nitrogen on lipid accumulation, acetyl-CoA concentration and acetyl-CoA caroxylase activity in developing seeds of oilseed crops (Brasstca campestris L. and Eruca sativa Mill.). Plant Sci. 168: 29-36
- Fazli IS, Ahmad S, Jamal A, Abdin MZ. 2005b. Changes in oil and fatty acid composition of developing seeds of taramira (Eruca sativa Mill.) as influenced by sulphur and nitrogen nutrition. Ind. J. Plant Physiol. 10: 354-361
- Friedrich JW, Schrader LE. 1978. Sulphur deprivation and nitrogen metabolism in maize seedlings. Plant Physiol. 61: 900-903
- Hughes DW, Galau G. 1988. Preparation of RNA from cotton leaves and pollen. Plant Mol. Biol. Rep. 6: 253-257
- Jamal A, Fazli IS, Ahmad S, Abdin MZ. 2006. Interactive effect of nitrogen and sulphur on yield and quality of groundnut (Arachis hypogea L.). Korean J. Crop Sci. 51: 519-522.
- Jamal A, Fazli IS, Ahmad S, Abdin MZ, Yun SJ. 2005. Effect of sulphur and nitrogen application on growth characteristics, seed and oil yields of soybean cultivars. Korean J. Crop Sci. 50: 340-345
- Kang F, Ridout CJ, Morgan CL, Rawsthorne S. 1994. The activity of acetyl-CoA carboxylase is not correlated with the rate of lipid synthesis during development of oilseed rape (Brassica napus L.) embryos. Planta 193: 320-325
- Kartha ARS, Sethi AS. 1957. A cold percolation method for rapid gravimetric estimation of oil in small quantities of oilseeds. Ind. J. Agric. Sci. 27: 211-217
- Lain, WA, Roughan PG. 1982. Activation of spinach chloroplasts acetyl-CoA carboxylase by coenzyme A. FEBS Lett. 144: 341-344
- Lakkineni KC, Abrol YP, 1994. Sulphur requirement of crop plants: Physiological analysis. Fert. News 39: 11-18
- Malhi SS, Gan Y, Raney JP. 2007. Yield, seed quality and sulfur uptake of Brassica oilseed crops in response to sulfur fertilization. Agron. J. 99: 570-577
- Manning K. 1991. Isolation of nucleic acids from plants by dif ferential solvent precipitation. Anal. Biochem. 195: 45-50
- McGrath SP, Zhao FJ, Withers PJA. 1996. Development of sulphur deficiency in crop and its treatment, In Proc. Fetilizer Soc., No. 379, The Fertiliser Society, Peterborough, pp 257-268
- Munshi SK, Vats S, Dhillon K., Sukhija PS. 1990. Lipid biosynthesis in seeds of mustard (Brassica juncea L.) influenced by zinc and sulphur deficiency. Physiol. Plant. 80: 102-108
- Nageswar Rao G. 1983. Statistics for Agricultural Sciences, Oxford and IBH Publishing, New Delhi
- Pal UR, Gosset DR, Sims JL, Legget JE. 1976. Molybdenum and sulphur nutrition effects on nitrate reductase in Burley tobacco. Can. J. Bot. 54: 2014-2022
- Post-Beittenmiller MA, Jaworski JG, Ohlrogge JB. 1991. In vivo pools of free and acylated acyl carrier in spinach: Evidence for sites of regulation of fatty acid biosynthesis. J. Biol. Chem. 266: 1858-1865
- Post-Beittenmiller MA, Roughan G, Ohlrogge JB. 1992. Regulation of plant fatty acid biosynthesis: Analysis of acyl-CoA and acyl-acyl carrier protein substrate pools in spinach and pea chloroplasts. Plant Physiol. 100: 923-930
- Reuveny Z, Dougall DK, Trinity PM. 1980. Regulatory coupling of nitrate and sulphate assimilation pathways in cultured tobacco cells. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 77: 6670-6672
- Roughan PG. 1997. Stromal concentrations of coenzyme A and its esters are insufficient to account for rates of chloroplast fatty acid synthesis: Evidence for substrate channeling within the chloroplast fatty acid synthase. Biochem. J. 327: 267-273
- Simcox PD, Garland W, Deluca V, Canvin DT, Dennis DT. 1979. Respiratory pathways and fat synthesis in the developing castor oilseeds. Can. J. Bot. 57: 1008-1014
- Strommer J, Gregerson R, Vyad, M. 1993. Isolation and characterization of plant mRNA. In BR Glick, JE Thompson, eds, Methods in Plant Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, CRC Press, Boca Raton, pp 49-65
- Tandon HLS. 1995. Sulphur Fetilizers for Indian Agriculture, A Guide Book, Ed 2, Fertilizer Development and Consultation Organization, New Delhi
- Thelen JJ, Ohlrogge JB. 2002. Metabolic engineering of fatty acid biosynthesis in plants. Metabolic Eng. 4: 12-21
- Turnham E, Northcote DH, 1982. The use of acetyl-CoA carboxylase activity and changes in wall composition as measures of embryogenesis in tissue cultures of oil palm (Elaeis guineensis). Biochem. J. 51: 323-332
- Turnham E, Northcote DH. 1983. Changes in the activity of acetyl-CoA carboxylase during rapeseed formation. Biochem. J. 212: 223-229
- Weselake RJ, Pomeroy MK, Kurukuwa TL, Golden JL, Little DB, Larocke A. 1993. Developmental profile of diacylglycerol acyltransferase in maturing seeds of oilseed rape and saf-flower and microspore derived cultures of oilseed rape. Plant Physiol. 102: 565-571
- Williams CH, Steinbergs A. 1959. Soil sulphur fractions as chemical indices of available sulphur in some Australian soils. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 10: 340-352
- Zhao FJ, Evans EJ, Bilsborrow PE, Syers JK. 1993. Influence of S and N on seed yield and quality of low glucosinolate oilseed rape (Brassica napus L.). J. Sci. Food Agric. 63: 29-37
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기