Estimation of Genetic Distance and Its Predictability of
$F_1$ Hybrid Performance in Barley
Heterotic performance of hybrids is dependent upon the amount of genetic variability among parents and combining ability of alleles at the loci associated with target traits. This study was carried out to determine if (1) pedigree-based genetic distance could explain molecular levels of genetic diversity, and (2) molecular marker-based genetic distance could predict the degree of hybrid performance in barley. The average value of Random Amplified Polymorphic DNA (RAPD)-based genetic similarity for all 58 genotypes was 0.641. Twenty-two hulless barley and eight malt barley varieties showed low levels of genetic diversity with higher similarity values than the average of all or of the hulled barley variety pool. Coefficients of parentage (COPs) computed for 1,653 pairs of 58 Korean barley varieties ranged from 0 to 0.984 with a mean of 0.048. Correlation between the genealogical and RAPD-based genetic similarity matrices was 0.256 (P
- Bernado R. 1993. Estimation of coefficient of coancestry using molecular markers in maize. Theor. Appl. Genet. 85: 1055-1062
- Bohn M, Utz HF, Melchinger AE. 1999. Genetic similarities among winter wheat cultivars determined on the basis of RFLPs, AFLPs, and SSRs and their use for predicting proge ny variance. Crop Sci. 39: 228-237
- Charcosset A, Essioux L. 1994. The effect of population struc ture on the relationship between heterosis and heterozygosity at marker loci. Theor. Appl. Genet. 89: 336-343
- Cox TS, Murphy JP, Rodgers DM. 1986. Changes in genetic diversity in the red winter wheat regions of the United States. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 83: 5583-5586
- Donini P, Stephenson P, Bryan GJ, Koebner RMD. 1998. The potential of microsatellites for high throughput genetic diver sity assessment in wheat and barley. Genet. Res. Crop Evol. 45: 415-421
- Frankel OH, Brown AHD. 1984. Plant genetic resources today: a critical appraisal. In JHW Holden, JT Williams, ed, Crop Genetic Resources: Conservation & Evaluation, George Allen & Unwin Ltd., London, pp 249-257
- Graner A, Ludwig WF, Melchinger AE. 1994. Relationships among European barley germplasm. II. Comparisons of RFLP and pedigree data. Crop Sci. 34: 1199-1205
Gutierrez OA, Basu S, Saha S, Jenkins JN, Shoemaker OB, Cheatham CL, McCarty Jr JC. 2002. Genetic distance among selected cotton genotypes and its relationship with
$F_2$perfor mance. Crop Sci. 42: 1841-1847
- Jong SK, Park MW. 2000a. Cluster analysis of Korean six-row covered barley varieties based on coefficient of parentage. Korean J. Breed. 32: 205-210
- Jong SK, Park MW. 2000b. Genetic diversity in naked barley varieties based on coefficient of parentage. Korean J. Breed. 32: 303-308
- Jordan DR, Tao Y, Godwin ID, Henzell RG, Cooper M, McIntyre CL. 2003. Prediction of hybrid performance in grain sorghum using RFLP markers. Theor. Appl. Genet. 106: 559-567
- Kempthorne O. 1969. An introduction to genetic statistics. Iowa State Univ. Press, Ames, IA.
- Kim HS, Park KG, Baek SB, Suh SJ, Nam JH. 2002. Genetic diversity of barley cultivars as revealed by SSR marker. Korean J. Crop Sci. 47: 379-383
- Kim HS, Park KG, Baek SB, Kim JG, Nam JH. 2005. Genetic diversity measured by RAPDs in Korean barley germplasm pools. Korean J. Crop Sci. 50: 131-141
- Kim JG. 2004. Genetics of cytoplasmic male sterility and fertili ty restoration, and relationship between genetic diversity and hybrid vigor in barley (Hordeum vulgare L.). Ph.D. thesis, Chonbuk National University, Chonju
- L_bberstedt T, Melchinger AE, DuBle C, Vuylsteke M, Kuiper M. 2000. Relationships among early European maize inbreds: IV. Genetic diversity revealed with AFLP markers and com parison with RFLP, RAPD, and pedigree data. Crop Sci. 40: 783-791
- Manifesto MM, Schlatter AR, Hopp HE, Suarez EY, Dubcovsky J. 2001. Quantitative evaluation of genetic diversity in wheat germplasm using molecular markers. Crop Sci. 41: 682-690
- Melchinger AE, Lee M, Lamkey KR, Woodman WW. 1990. Genetic diversity for restriction fragment length polymor phisms: relation to genetic effects in maize inbreds. Crop Sci 30: 1033-1040
- Messmer, MM, Melchinger AE, Herrman RG, Boppenmaier J. 1993. Relationships among early European Maize inbreds: II Comparison of pedigree and RFLP data. Crop Sci. 33: 944-950
- Mohammadi SA, Prasanna BM. 2003. Analysis of genetic diver sity in crop plants-salient statistical tools and considerations. Crop Sci. 43: 1235-1248
- Nevo E. 1998. Genetic diversity in wild cereals: regional and local studies and their bearing on conservation ex situ and in situ. Genet. Res. Crop Evol. 45: 355-370
- Russel JR, Fuller JD, Macaulay M, Hatz BG, Jahoor A, Powell W, Waugh R. 1997. Direct comparison of levels of genetic variation among barley accessions detected by RFLPs, AFLPs, SSRs and RAPDs. Theor. Appl. Genet. 95: 714-722
- Xiao J, Li J, Yuan L, McCouch SR, Tanksley SD. 1996. Genetic diversity and its relationship to hybrid performance and het erosis in rice as revealed by PCR-based markers. Theor. Appl. Genet. 92: 637-643
- Zhang Q, Zhou ZQ, Yang GP, Xu CG, Liu KD, Saghai Maroof MA. 1996. Molecular marker heterozygosity and hybrid per formance in Indica and Japonica rice. Theor. Appl. Genet. 93: 1218-1224
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기