Effect of Platycodin D on Airway MUC5AC Mucin Production and Gene Expression Induced by Growth Factor and Proinflammatory Factor
In this study, we tried to investigate whether platycodin D significantly affects MUC5AC mucin production and gene expression induced by epidermal growth factor (EGF), phorbol ester (PMA) and tumor necrosis factor- $\alpha$ (TNF- $\alpha$ ) from human airway epithelial cells. Confluent NCI-H292 cells were pretreated with varying concentrations of platycodin D for 30 min and then stimulated with EGF, PMA and TNF- $\alpha$ for 24h, respectively. MUC5AC mucin gene expression and mucin protein production were measured by RT-PCR and ELISA. The results were as follows: (1) Platycodin D was found to inhibit the production of MUC5AC mucin protein induced by EGF, PMA, and TNF- $\alpha$ , respectively. (2) It also inhibited the expression of MUC5AC mucin gene induced by the same inducers. These results suggest that platycodin D can regulate mucin gene expression and production of mucin protein, by directly acting on human airway epithelial cells.
- Ahn, K. S., Hahn, B. S., Kwack, K., Lee, E. B. and Kim, Y. S. (2006). Platycodin D-induced apoptosis through nuclear factor-kappaB activation in immortalized keratinocytes. Eur. J. Pharmacol. 537, 1-11.
- Chung, J. W., Noh, E. J., Zhao, H. L., Sim, J. S., Ha, Y. W., Shin, E. M., Lee, E. B., Cheong, C. S. and Kim, Y. S. (2008). Anti-inflammatory activity of prosapogenin methyl ester of platycodin D via nuclear factor-kappaB pathway inhibition. Biol. Pharm. Bull. 31, 2114-2120.
- Chung, K. F. (2001). Cytokines in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Eur. Respir. J. Suppl. 34, 50-59.
- Cohn, L., Whittaker, L., Niu, N. and Homer, R. J. (2002). Cytokine regulation of mucus production in a model of allergic asthma. Novartis. Found. Symp. 248, 201-213.
- Ellis, E. F. (1985). Asthma in childhood. J. Allergy. Clin. Immunol. 72(Suppl), 526-539.
- Fischer, B. M., Rochelle, L. G., Voynow, J. A., Akley, N. J. and Adler, K. B. (1999). TNF-alpha stimulates mucin secretion and cyclic GMP production by guinea pig tracheal epithelial cells in vitro. Am. J. Respir. Cell. Mol. Biol. 20, 413-422.
- Heo, H. J., Kim, C., Lee, H. J., Kim, Y. S., Kang, S. S., Seo, U. K., Kim, Y. H., Park, Y. C., Seok, J. H. and Lee, C. J. (2007a). Carbenoxolone and triterpenoids inhibited mucin secretion from airway epithelial cells. Phytother. Res. 21, 462-465.
- Heo, H. J., Lee, H. J., Kim, Y. S., Kang, S. S., Son, K. H., Seok, J. H., Seo, U. K. and Lee, C. J. (2007b). Effects of baicalin and wogonin on mucin release from cultured airway epithelial cells. Phytother. Res. 21, 1130-1134.
- Heo, H. J., Lee, S. Y., Lee, M. N., Lee, H. J., Seok, J. H. and Lee, C. J. (2009). Genistein and curcumin suppress epidermal growth factor-induced MUC5AC mucin production and gene expression from human airway epithelial cells. Phytother. Res. 23, 1458-1461.
- Hewson, C. A., Edbrooke, M. R. and Johnston, S. L. (2004). PMA induces the MUC5AC respiratory mucin in human bronchial epithelial cells, via PKC, EGF/TGF-alpha, Ras/Raf, MEK, ERK and Sp1-dependent mechanisms. J. Mol. Biol. 344, 683-695.
- Jang, I. M. (2003). Treatise on asian herbal medicines. Haksulpyunsu-kwan in Research institute of natural products of Seoul National University, Seoul. pp. 2748.
- Kim, M. O., Moon, D. O., Choi, Y. H., Shin, D. Y., Kang, H. S., Choi, B. T., Lee, J. D., Li, W. and Kim, G. Y. (2008). Platycodin D induces apoptosis and decreases telomerase activity in human leukemia cells. Cancer Lett. 261, 98-107.
- Kim, Y. P., Lee, E. B., Kim, S. Y., Li, D., Ban, H. S., Lim, S. S., Shin, K. H. and Ohuchi, K. (2001). Inhibition of prostaglandin E2 production by platycodin D isolated from the root of Platycodon grandiflorum. Planta Med. 67, 362-364.
- Lee, C. J., Lee, J. H., Seok, J. H., Hur, G. M., Park, J. S., Bae, S., Lim, J. H. and Park, Y. C. (2004a). Effects of betaine, coumarin and flavonoids on mucin release from cultured hamster tracheal surface epithelial cells. Phytother. Res. 18, 301-305.
- Lee, C. J., Lee, J. H., Seok, J. H., Hur, G. M., Park, Y. C., Seol, I. C. and Kim, Y. H. (2003). Effects of baicalein, berberine, curcumin and hesperidin on mucin release from airway goblet cells. Planta Med. 69, 523-526.
- Lee, C. J., Seok, J. H., Hur, G. M., Lee, J. H., Park, J. S., Seol, I. C. and Kim, Y. H. (2004b). Effects of ursolic acid, betulin and sulfur-containing compounds on mucin release from airway goblet cells. Planta Med. 70, 1119-1122.
- Li, J. D., Dohrman, A. F., Gallup, M., Miyata, S., Gum, J. R., Kim, Y. S., Nadel, J. A., Prince, A. and Basbaum, C. B. (1997). Transcriptional activation of mucin by Pseudomonas aeruginosa lipopolysaccharide in the pathogenesis of cystic fibrosis lung disease. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U S A 94, 967-972.
- Park, S. J., Kang, S. Y., Kim, N. S. and Kim, H. M. (2002). Phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase regulates PMA-induced differentiation and superoxide production in HL-60cells. Immunopharmacol. Immunotoxicol. 24, 211-226.
- Rogers, D. F. and Barnes, P. J. (2006). Treatment of airway mucus hypersecretion. Ann. Med. 38, 116-125.
- Shao, M. X., Ueki, I. F. and Nadel, J. A. (2003). TNF-alpha converting enzyme mediated MUC5AC mucin expression in cultured human airway epithelial cells. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U S A 100, 11618-11623.
- Shin, C. Y., Lee, W. J., Lee, E. B., Choi, E. Y. and Ko, K. H. (2002). Platycodin D and D3 increase airway mucin release in vivo and in vitro in rats and hamsters. Planta Med. 68, 221-225.
- Song, K. S., Lee, W. J., Chung, K. C., Koo, J. S., Yang, E. J., Choi, J. Y. and Yoon, J. H. (2003). IL-1beta and TNF-alpha induced MUC5AC overexpression through a mechanism involving ERK/p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase-MSK1-CREB activation in human airway epithelial cells. J. Biol. Chem. 278, 23243-23250.
- Takeyama, K., Dabbagh, K., Jeong, Shim, J., Dao-Pick, T., Ueki, I. F. and Nadel, J. A. (2000). Oxidative stress causes mucin synthesis via transactivation of epidermal growth factor receptor: role of neutrophils. J. Immunol. 164, 1546-1552.
- Takeyama, K., Dabbagh, K., Lee, H., Agusti, C., Lausier, J. A., Ueki, I. F., Grattan, K. M. and Nadel, J. A. (1999). Epidermal growth factor system regulates mucin production in airways. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U S A 6, 3081-3086.
- Yu, J. S. and Kim, A. K. (2010). Platycodin D induces apoptosis in MCF-7 human breast cancer cells. J. Med. Food. 13, 298-305.
- NDSL :
- 한국응용약물학회 : 저널
- DOI : http://dx.doi.org/10.4062/biomolther.2010.18.3.294
- 한국학술정보 : 저널
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기