What Determines the Laterality of the Chronic Subdural Hematoma?
Objective : Chronic subdural hematomas (CSDH) are more common on the left hemisphere than on the right. We verified this left predilection of CSDH and tried to explain the reason for this discrepancy. Methods : We investigated the laterality of CSDH in 182 patients who were treated from January 2005 to December 2009. We examined the symmetry of the cranium and the location of the lesion. Results : CSDH was more common on the left-side. The cranium was symmetric in 63 patients, asymmetric in 119 patients. The asymmetric crania were flat on the right-side in 77 patients, on the left-side in 42 patients. The density of the CSDHs was hypodense in 29 patients, isodense 132 patients, and the others in 21 patients. Bilateral hematomas were more common in the hypodense group. In the right flat crania, the hematoma was more commonly located on the opposite side of the flat side. While in the left flat crania, the hematoma was more common on the same side. Conclusion : CSDHs occurred more frequently on the left side. The anatomical asymmetry of the cranium influences the left predilection of CSDH.
- Abouzari M, Rashidi A, Rezaii J, Esfandiari K, Asadollahi M, Aleali H, et al. : The role of postoperative patient posture in the recurrence of traumatic chronic subdural hematoma after burr-hole surgery. Neurosurgery 61 : 794-797; discussion 797, 2007
- Akhaddar A, Bensghir M, Elmoustarchid B, Abouqal R, Boucetta M : Influence of cranial morphology on the location of chronic subdural hematoma. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 151 : 1235-1240, 2009
- Chiu HC, Damasio AR : Human cerebral asymmetries evaluated by computed tomography. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 43 : 873-878, 1980
- Foerch C, Misselwitz B, Sitzer M, Berger K, Steinmetz H, Neumann- Haefelin T, et al. : Differences in recognition of right and left hemisphere stroke. Lancet 366 : 392-393, 2005
- Gelabert-Gonzalez M, Iglesias-Pais M, Garcia-Allut A, Martinez- Rumbo R : Chronic subdural haematoma : surgical treatment and outcome in 1000 cases. Clin Neurol Neurosurg 107 : 223-229, 2005
- Herve PY, Crivello F, Perchey G, Mazoyer B, Tzourio-Mazoyer N : Handedness and cerebral anatomical asymmetries in young adult males. Neuroimage 29 : 1066-1079, 2006
- Ko BS, Lee JK, Seo BR, Moon SJ, Kim JH, Kim SH : Clinical analysis of risk factors related to recurrent chronic subdural hematoma. J Korean Neurosurg Soc 43 : 11-15, 2008
- Koff E, Naeser MA, Pieniadz JM, Foundas AL, Levine HL : Computed tomographic scan hemispheric asymmetries in right- and lefthanded male and female subjects. Arch Neurol 43 : 487-491, 1986
- Kovalev VA, Kruggel F, von Cramon DY : Gender and age effects in structural brain asymmetry as measured by MRI texture analysis. Neuroimage 19 : 895-905, 2003
- Le May M, Kido DK : Asymmetries of the cerebral hemispheres on computed tomograms. J Comput Assist Tomogr 2 : 471-476, 1978
- Lee KS, Bae WK, Bae HG, Doh JW, Yun IG : The computed tomographic attenuation and the age of subdural hematomas. J Korean Med Sci 12 : 353-359, 1997
- Lee KS, Bae WK, Yoon SM, Doh JW, Bae HG, Yun IG : Location of the chronic subdural hematoma : role of the gravity and cranial morphology. Brain Inj 15 : 47-52, 2001
- Lee KS, Bae WK, Yoon SM, Doh JW, Bae HG, Yun IG : Location of the traumatic subdural hygroma : role of gravity and cranial morphology. Brain Inj 14 : 355-361, 2000
- Lee KS, Doh JW, Bae HG, Yun IG : Relations among traumatic subdural lesions. J Korean Med Sci 11 : 55-63, 1996
- MacFarlane MR, Weerakkody Y, Kathiravel Y : Chronic subdural hematomas are more common on the left than on the right. J Clin Neurosci 16 : 642-644, 2009
- Miele VJ, Sadrolhefazi A, Bailes JE : Influence of head position on the effectiveness of twist drill craniostomy for chronic subdural hematoma. Surg Neurol 63 : 420-423; discussion 423, 2005
- Mori K, Maeda M : Surgical treatment of chronic subdural hematoma in 500 consecutive cases : clinical characteristics, surgical outcome, complications, and recurrence rate. Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 41 : 371-381, 2001
- Park SH, Lee SH, Park J, Hwang JH, Hwang SK, Hamm IS : Chronic subdural hematoma preceded by traumatic subdural hygroma. J Clin Neurosci 15 : 868-872, 2008
- Santarius T, Kirkpatrick PJ, Ganesan D, Chia HL, Jalloh I, Smielewski P, et al. : Use of drains versus no drains after burr-hole evacuation of chronic subdural hematoma : a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 374 : 1067-1073, 2009
- Good CD, Johnsrude I, Ashburner J, Henson RN, Friston KJ, Frackowiak RS : Cerebral asymmetry and the effects of sex and handedness on brain structure : a voxel-based morphometric analysis of 465 normal adult human brains. Neuroimage 14 : 685-700, 2001
- Nakajima H, Yasui T, Nishikawa M, Kishi H, Kan M : The role of postoperative patient posture in the recurrence of chronic subdural hematoma : a prospective randomized trial. Surg Neurol 58 : 385-387; discussion 387, 2002
저자의 다른 논문
- Synapse : 저널
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기