Langerhans Cell Histiocytosis Causing Cervical Myelopathy in a Child
Langerhans cell histiocytosis (LCH), a disorder of the phagocytic system, is a rare condition. Moreover, spinal involvement causing myelopathy is even rare and unusual. Here, we report a case of atypical LCH causing myelopathy, which was subsequently treated by corpectemy and fusion. A 5-year-old boy presented with 3 weeks of severe neck pain and limited neck movement accompanying right arm motor weakness. CT scans revealed destruction of C7 body and magnetic resonance imaging showed a tumoral process at C7 with cord compression. Interbody fusion using cervical mesh packed by autologus iliac bone was performed. Pathological examination confirmed the diagnosis of LCH. After the surgery, the boy recovered from radiating pain and motor weakness of right arm. Despite the rarity of the LCH in the cervical spine, it is necessary to maintain our awareness of this condition. When neurologic deficits are present, operative treatment should be considered.
- Davidson RI, Shillito J Jr : Eosinophilic granuloma of the cervical spine in children. Pediatrics 45 : 746-752, 1970
- Favara BE, Feller AC, Pauli M, Jaffe ES, Weiss LM, Arico M, et al. : Contemporary classification of histiocytic disorders. The WHO Committee On Histiocytic/Reticulum Cell Proliferations. Reclassification Working Group of the Histiocyte Society. Med Pediatr Oncol 29 : 157-166, 1997
- Green NE, Robertson WW Jr, Kilroy AW : Eosinophilic granuloma of the spine with associated neural deficit. Report of three cases. J Bone Joint Surg Am 62 : 1198-1202, 1980
- Howarth DM, Gilchrist GS, Mullan BP, Wiseman GA, Edmonson JH, Schomberg PJ : Langerhans cell histiocytosis : diagnosis, natural history, management, and outcome. Cancer 85 : 2278-2290, 1999
- Ippolito E, Farsetti P, Tudisco C : Vertebra plana. Long-term followup in five patients. J Bone Joint Surg Am 66 : 1364-1368, 1984
- Kilpatrick SE, Wenger DE, Gilchrist GS, Shives TC, Wollan PC, Unni KK : Langerhans' cell histiocytosis (histiocytosis X) of bone. A clinicopathologic analysis of 263 pediatric and adult cases. Cancer 76 : 2471-2484, 1995
- Ladisch S : Langerhans cell histiocytosis. Curr Opin Hematol 5 : 54-58, 1998
- Levine SE, Dormans JP, Meyer JS, Corcoran TA : Langerhans' cell histiocytosis of the spine in children. Clin Orthop Relat Res : 288-293, 1996
- Raab P, Hohmann F, Kuhl J, Krauspe R : Vertebral remodeling in eosinophilic granuloma of the spine. A long-term follow-up. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 23 : 1351-1354, 1998
- Robert H, Dubousset J, Miladi L : Histiocytosis X in the juvenile spine. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 12 : 167-172, 1987
- Seimon LP : Eosinophil granuloma of the spine. J Pediatr Orthop 1 : 371-376, 1981
- Sohn MJ, Park HC, Park HS, Kim JJ, Kim EY : Anterior cervical corpectomy and fusion using miniplate and screws in a 7-year-old child with eosinophilic granuloma of the cervical spine. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26 : 1193-1196, 2001
- Garg S, Mehta S, Dormans JP : An atypical presentation of Langerhans cell histiocytosis of the cervical spine in a child. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28 : E445-E448, 2003
저자의 다른 논문
- 2011 "Screw Fixation without Fusion for Low Lumbar Burst Fracture : A Severe Canal Compromise But Neurologically Intact Case" Journal of Korean Neurosurgical Society = 대한신경외과학회지 49 (2): 128~130
- 2011 "Paraspinal Muscle Sparing versus Percutaneous Screw Fixation: A Prospective and Comparative Study for the Treatment of L5-S1 Spondylolisthesis" Journal of Korean Neurosurgical Society = 대한신경외과학회지 49 (3): 163~166
- Synapse : 저널
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기