Sleep Disturbance in Prostate Cancer Patients
Purpose: This study was done to investigate clinical characteristics and risk factors for sleep disturbance in patients with prostate cancer. Method: Participants were recruited from P hospital outpatient clinic from March 23 to April 20, 2006, and 101 participants completed a questionnaire assessing general and clinical characteristics, sleep quality, physical symptoms and psychological symptoms such as anxiety and depression. The data was analyzed using the SPSS 12.0 program. Results: In this study, 29.7% of the patients reported sleep disturbance. Cancer diagnosis related factors which affected sleep disturbance were onset (55.3%) and aggravation (83.3%). Habitual sleep efficiency of patients with sleep disturbance was as follows: bedtime was 10 PM, wake-up time was 6AM, sleep duration was six hours and twenty minutes. Risk factors for the presence of sleep disturbance included metastasis, the presence of intestinal symptoms, depression and anxiety. Conclusion: Sleep disturbance is a frequent problem associated with prostate cancer and seems to be influenced by aggravation of illness and the presence of physical and psychological symptoms.
- Borghede, G., & Sullivan, M. (1996). Measurement of quality of life in localized prostatic cancer patients treated with radiotherapy: Development of a prostate cancer-specific module supplementing the EORTC QLQ-C30. Quality of Life Research, 5(2), 212-222.
- Buysse, D. J., Reynolds, C. F., Monk, T. H., Bernman, S. R., & Kupfer, D. J. (1989). The Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index: A new instrument for psychiatric practice and research. Psychiatry Research, 28(2), 193-213.
- Caplan, A., & Kratz, A. (2002). Prostate-specific antigen and the early diagnosis of prostate cancer. American Journal of Clinical Pathology, 117(suppl 1), S104-S108.
- Dirksen, S. R., Epstein, D. R., & Hoyt, M. A. (2009). Insomnia, depression, and distress among outpatients with prostate cancer. Applied Nursing Research, 22(3), 154-158.
- Foreman, M. D., & Wykle, M. (1995). Nursing standard of practice protocol: Sleep disturbances in elderly patients. The NICHE faculty. Geriatric Nursing, 16(5), 238-243.
- Heim, H. M., & Oei, T. P. (1993). Comparison of prostate cancer patients with and without pain. Pain, 53(2), 159-162.
- Hong, J. P., Ahn, J. H., Yun, Y. K., Park, J. I., Lee, S. Y., Hahm, B. J., et al. (2000). Sleep habits and insomniaassociated factors in the urban elderly: Demographic, health and psychobehavioral correlates. Journal of the Korean Neuropsychiatric Assocation, 39(6), 1111-1121.
- Jonler, M., Nielsen, O. S., Groenvold, M., Hedlund, P. O., Damber, L., Hedelin, H., et al. (2005). Quality of life in patients with skeletal metastases of prostate cancer and status prior to start of endocrine therapy: Results form the Scandinavian prostate cancer group study 5. Scandinavian Journal of Urology and Nephrology, 39(1), 42-48 .
- Kim, E. S. (2009). Association between sleep disturbance and depression among patients with brain injury. Unpublished master's thesis, Keimyung University, Daegu.
- Kim, M. Y. (2005). A study on the quality of sleep and etiology of sleep disruption experienced by patients in the intensive care unit. Unpublished master's thesis, Kwandong University, Kangneug.
- Kim, K. H. (2001). Quality of sleep and sleep disturbance factors of coronary artery disease patients in CCU . Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Korea national statistical office. (2005). The cause of death statistics 1983-2003. Seoul: Korean National Statistical Office.
- Kornblith, A. B., Herr, H. W., Ofman, U. S., Scher, H. I., & Holland, J. C. (1994). Quality of life of patients with prostate cancer and their spouses: The value of a data base in clinical care. Cancer, 73(11), 2791-2802.
- Lee, J. I. (2004). The effects of worry and emotional regulation on sleep and fatigue. Unpublished master's thesis, Korea University, Seoul.
- Lilleby, W., Fossa, S. D., Waehre, H. R., & Olsen, D. R. (1999). Long-term morbidity and quality of life in patients with localized prostate cancer undergoing definitive radiotherapy or radical prostatectomy. International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, 43(4), 735-743.
- Lintz, K., Moynihan, C., Steginga, S., Norman, A., Eeles, R., Huddart, R., et a!. (2003). Prostate cancer patients' support and psychological care needs: Survey from a non-surgical oncology clinic. Psycho-oncology, 12(8), 769-783.
- McCrae, C. S., & Lichstein, K. L. (2001). Secondary insomnia:Diagnostic challenges and intervention opportunities. Sleep Medicine Reviews, 5(1), 41-61.
- Oh, S. M., Min, K. J., & Park, D. B. (1999). A study of the standardization of the hospital anxiety and depression scale for Koreans: A comparison of normal, depressed and anxious groups. Journal of the Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, 38(2), 289-296.
- Park, S. A. (2007). The effect of aroma hand massage on sleep disturbance and depression in hospitalized elderly patients. Unpublished master's thesis, Doneui University, Busan.
- Savard, J., & Morin, C. M. (2001). Insomnia in the context of cancer: A review of a neglected problem. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 19(3), 895-908.
- Savard, J.,. Simard, S., Hervouet, S., Ivers, H., Lacombe, L., & Fradet, Y. (2005). Insomnia in men treated with radical prostatectomy for prostate cancer. Psycho-oncology, 14(2), 147-156.
- Southwell, M. T., & Wistow, G. (1995). Sleep in hospitals at night: are patients' needs being met? Journal of Advanced Nursing, 21(6), 1101-1109.
- Stepanski, E. J., & Rybarczyk, B. (2006). Emerging research on the treatment and etiology of secondary or comorbid insomnia. Sleep Medicine Reviews, 10(1), 7-18.
- Theobald, D. E. (2004). Cancer pain, fatigue, distress, and insomnia in cancer patients. Clinical Cornerstone, 6(suppl 1D), S15-S21.
- Yang, B. K., Young, M. D., Calingaert, B., Albala, D. M., Vieweg, J., Murphy, B. C., et al. (2004). Prospective and longitudinal patient self-assessment of health-related quality of life following radical perineal prostatectomy. The Journal of Urology, 172(1), 264-268.
- Zimond, A. S., & Snaith, R. P. (1983). The hospital anxiety and depression scale. Acta psychiatrica Scandinavica, 67(6), 361-370.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (2)
- Park, Hyun Hye ; Park, Jeong Sook 2014. "Hot Flashes and Hypogonadism Symptoms in Patients with Prostate Cancer Receiving Hormone Replacement Therapy" 성인간호학회지 = Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 26(2): 159~170
- Park, Jieun ; Lee, Haejung 2015. "The Effect of Telephone-enforced Pelvic Floor Muscle Exercise on Incontinence, Urinary Function Related Satisfaction, Depression, and Quality of Life for Prostate Cancer Patients" 성인간호학회지 = Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 27(4): 406~417
저자의 다른 논문
- 1986 "설사 환자에서의 원인균 분리동정에 관한 연구" 대한미생물학회지 = The journal of the Korean Society for Microbiology 21 (4): 417~422
- 1995 "병원 감염관리를 위한 직원 교육 방안" 대한병원협회지 = Journal of the Korean Hospital Association 24 (1): 41~45
- 1999 "Activation of SAPK and Increase in Bak Levels during Ceramide and Indomethacin-Induced Apoptosis in HT29 Cells" The Korean journal of physiology & pharmacology : official journal of the Korean Physiological Society and the Korean Society of Pharmacology 3 (1): 75~82
- 1999 "단전호흡 수련에 관한 일상 생활 기술적 연구" 대한간호학회지= Journal of Korean academy of nursing 29 (6): 1244~1253
- 1999 "암 환자가 지각한 가족 지지와 영적 안녕에 관한 조사 연구" 保健敎育健康增進學會誌 = Korean journal of health education and promotion 16 (2): 67~80
- 1999 "수술환자의 욕창예측변수에 관한 연구" 기본간호학회지 = Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing 6 (2): 267~276
- 2000 "자궁절제술 환자의 표준진료지침(Critical pathway) 개발과 적용효과" 간호행정학회지 = Journal of Korean academy of nursing administration 6 (1): 123~134
- 2000 "흉부물리요법이 기관 분비물량과 동맥혈 산소분압에 미치는 영향" 기본간호학회지 = Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing 7 (3): 355~365
- 2002 "복강경 담낭 절제술 환자의 표준관리지침 개발 및 적용 효과" 간호행정학회지 = Journal of Korean academy of nursing administration 8 (1): 123~135
- 2003 "욕창발생위험사정도구의 타당도 비교" 대한간호학회지= Journal of Korean academy of nursing 33 (2): 162~169
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 이용한 콘텐츠
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기