R&D 전략의 형태가 기업 재무성과에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구
A Study on the Effects of Forms of R&D Strategy on Corporate Financial Performance
In Schumpeterian competition, superior profit arises from successful innovation created by firm's R&D strategy. Such R&D strategy diverges as time passes. This study examines empirically the effects of diverged forms of R&D strategy such as technological assets, technological diversity, and technological similarity on firm performance in Korean pharmaceutical industry. With the financial and patent data of 96 firms for 14 years from 1994 to 2007, we measured variables. And then we performed panel analysis with 3 years lag between dependent variable and other variables. The result shows that firm performance increases as technological asset and technological diversification increase. But technological similarity positively affects on firm performance in opposition to our hypothesis. We interpret and discuss these results and highlight the theoretical and practical implications of our findings.
- 김석관, "제약 산업의 기술혁신 패턴과 발전 전략", 과학기술정책연구원의 정책연구, 2004-12.
- 김태유, 박경민, "사업포트폴리오의 기술시너지 효과 : 50대 재벌의 패널자료분석", 기술혁신연구, 제5권, 제1호(1997), pp.15-43.
- 권오진, 노경란, 서진이, 정의섭, 유재영, "A study on method of citation information generation in Korean Patent Systems by using linking of core information resources", Proceedings of the Korea Technology Innovation Society Conference, 추계학술대회 발표논문집(2005), pp.689-701.
- 박경민, "카테고리 다각화와 전략적 균형이 인터넷 포털의 성장에 미치는 영향", 경영학연구, 제38권, 제1호(2009), pp.193-213.
- 이대락, 김명환, "연구개발비의 증가율이 기업의 성장성에 미치는 영향 : 코스닥 시장을 중심으로", 세무와 화계저널, 제3권, 제1호(2002), pp.5-31.
- 이영훈, "선형패널자료모형에 관한 문헌연구", 계량경제학보, 제15권, 제1호(2001), pp.105-138.
- 이진주, "혁신이론의 범위와 연구동향", 경영학연구, 제27권, 제5호(1999), pp.1115-1139.
- 전승훈, 강성호, 임병인, "선형패널자료 분석방법에 관한 비교연구", 통계연구, 제9권, 제2호 (2004), pp.1-24.
- 최충익, "패널모형 : 시계열 분석과 횡단면 분석을 한번에", 국토, 제6권(2008), pp.120-127.
- Argyres, N., "Capabilities, technological diversification and divisionalization," Strategic Management Journal, Vol.17, No.5(1996), pp. 395-410.
- Afuah, A., "Mapping technological capabilities into product markets and competitive advantage : the case of cholesterol drugs," Strategic Management Journal, Vo.23, No.2(2002), pp.171-179.
- Barney, J.B., "Firm resources and sustained competitive advantage," Journal of Management, Vol.17(1991), pp.99-120.
- Baum, J.A.C. and S.J. Mezias, "Localized competition and organizational failure in the Manhattan hotel industry, 1898-1990," Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol.37(1992), pp. 580-604.
- Baum, J.A.C. and J.V. Singh, "Organizational niche overlap and the dynamics of organizational mortality," American Journal of Sociology, Vol.100(1994), pp.346-380.
- Baumol, W., The Free-Market Innovation Machine : Analyzing the Growth Miracle of Capitalism, Princeton University Press, 2002.
- Beal, B.D. and J. Gimeno, "Geographic agglomeration, knowledge spillovers, and competitive evolution," INSEAD Working paper.
- Betz, F., Managing Technological Innovation: Competitive Advantage from Change, John Willey and Sons, New York, NY, 1998.
- Breschi, S., F. Lissoni, and F. Malerba, "Knowledge-relatedness in firm technological diversification," Research Policy, Vol.32(2003), pp.69-87.
- Caves, R.E., "Economic analysis and the quest for competitive advantage," Papers and Proceedings of the Ninety-Sixth Annual Meeting of the American Economic Association, The American Economic Review, Vol.74, No.2 (1984), pp.127-132.
- Christensen, C.M., Innovation and General Manager, Irwin McGraw-Hill, Boston, 1998.
- Clark, K.B. and T. Fujimoto, Product Development Performance : Strategy, Organization, and Management in the World Auto Industry, Harvard Business School Press : Boston, MA, 1991.
- D'Aveni, R.A., Hypercompetition, The Free Press, New York, 1994.
- Deephouse, D.L., "To be different, or to be the same? It's a question(and theory) of strategic balance," Strategic Management Journal, Vol.20(1999), pp.147-166.
- Ernst, H., "Patent applications and subsequent changes of performance : evidence from time-series cross-section analyses on the firm level," Research Policy, Vol.30(2001), pp.143-157.
- Gambardella, A. and S. Torrisi, "Does technological convergence imply convergence in markets? Evidence from the electronics industry," Research Policy, Vol.27(1998), pp. 445-463.
- Garcia-Vega, M., "Does technological diversification promote innovation? An empirical analysis for European firms," Research Policy, Vol.25(2006), pp.230-246.
- Granstrand, O., "Towards a theory of the technology- based firm," Research Policy, Vol. 27, No.5(1998), pp.467-491.
- Gimeno, J. and C.Y. Woo, "Hypercompetition in a multimarket environment : The role of strategic similarity and multimarket contact in competitive de-escalation," Organization Science, Vol.7(1996), pp.322-341.
- Harrigan, K.R., "Research methodologies for contingency approaches to business strategy," Academy of Management Review, Vol.8(1983), pp.398-405.
- Henderson, R. and Cockburn, "scale, scope, and spillovers : The determinants of research productivity in drug discovery," The RAND Journal of Economics, Vol.27, No.1(1996), pp. 32-59.
- Hitt, M.A. and R.D. Ireland, Corporate distinctive competence, strategy, industry and performance, Strategic Management Journal, Vol.6, No.3(1985), pp.273-293.
- Jaffe, A.B., "Technological opportunity and spillovers of R&D : Evidence from firms' patents, profits, and market value," American Economic Association, Vol.76, No.5(1986), pp. 984-1001.
- Joseph, E.C. and E.B. Paul, "Measuring technological capability and performance," R&D Management, Vol.36, No.4(2006), pp.421-438.
- Kim, D. and B. Kogut, "Technological platforms and diversification," Organization Science, Vol.7(1996), pp.283-301.
- Kurdas, C., "Dynamic economies of scope in the pharmaceutical industry," Industrial and Coporate Change, Vol.7, No.3(1998), pp.501-521.
- Lach, S. and M. Schankerman, "Dynamics of R&D and investment in the scientific sector," The Journal of Political Economy, Vol.97, No.4(1989), pp.880-904.
- Lawless M.W. and P.C. Anderson, "Generational technological change : Effects of innovation and local rivalry on performance," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.39, No.5(1996), pp.1185-1217.
- Lee, J., "Innovation and strategic divergence : An empirical study of the U.S. pharmaceutical industry from 1920 to 1960," Management Science, Vol.49, No.2(2003), pp.143-159.
- Leonard-Barton, D., "Core capabilities and core rigidities : A paradox in managing new product development," Strategic Management Journal, Vol.13(1992), pp.111-125.
- Miller, D.J., "Technological diversity, related diversification, and firm performance," Strategic Management Journal, Vol.27(2006), pp. 601-619.
- Mowery, D.C., J.E. Oxley, and B.S. Silverman, "Technological overlap and interfirm cooperation : implications for the resourcebased view of the firm," Research Policy, Vol.27(1998), pp.507-523.
- Nelson, R., "The simple economics of basic scientific research," Journal of Political Economy, Vol.67(1959), pp.297-306.
- Nelson, R.R. and Winter, S.G., "Forces generating and limiting concentration under schumpeterian competition," The Bell Journal of Economics, Vol.9, No.2(1978), pp.524-548.
- Parikh, M., "Knowledge management framework for high-tech research and development," Engineering Management Journal, Vol.13 No.3 (2001), pp.27-33.
- Peteraf, M.A., "The cornerstones of competitive advantage : A resource-based view," Strategic Management Journal, Vol.14, No.3(1993), pp.179-191.
- Pisano G.P., "Knowledge, integration, and the locus of learning : an empirical analysis of process development," Strategic Management Journal, Winter Special Vol.15(1994), pp.85-100.
- Piscitello, L., "Relatedness and coherence in technological and product diversification of the world's largest firms," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Vol.11(2000), pp. 288-295.
- Piscitello, L., "Corporate diversification, coherence and economic performance," Industrial and Corporate Change, Vol.13(2004), pp. 757-787.
- Porter, M.E., "Toward a dynamic theory of strategy," Strategic Management Journal, Vol.12(1991), pp.95-117.
- Quintana-Garcia, C. and C.A. Benavides-Velasco, "Innovative competence, exploration and exploitation : The influence of technological diversification," Research Policy, Vol.37(2008), pp.492-507.
- Ravichandran, T., Y. Liu, S. Han, and I. Hasan, "Diversification and firm performance : Exploring the moderating effects of information technology spending," Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol.25, No.4 (2009), pp.205-240.
- Scherer, F., New Perspectives on Economics Growth and Technological Innovation, Brookings Institution Press, Washington, D.C., 1999.
- Schumpeter, J.A., The Theory of Economic Development, Cambridge : Harvard University Press, 1934.
- Snow, Charles C. and D.C. Hambrick, "Measuring organizational strategies : Some theoretical and methodological problems," Academy of Management Review, Vol.5(1980), pp. 527-538.
- Song M., C. Droge, S. Hanvanich, and R. Calantone, "Marketing and technology resource complementarity : An analysis of their interaction effect in two environmental contexts," Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 26(2005), pp.259-276.
- Suh, W., Derick J.H. Sohn, and J.H. Kwak, "Knowledge management as enabling R&D innovation in high tech industry : the case of SAIT," Journal of Knowledge Management, Vol.8, No.6(2004), pp.5-15.
- Tirole, J., The Theory of Industrial Organization, MIT Press, Cambridge, 1988.
- Torkkeli, M. and Tuominen, M., "The contribution of technology selection to core competencies," International Journal of Production Economics, Vol.77, No.3(2002), pp.271-284.
- Tyler, B.B., "The complementarity of cooperative and technological competencies : a resource-based perspective," Journal of Engineering and Technology Management, Vol. 18, No.1(2001), pp.1-27.
- Walsh, S. and J.D. Linton, "The measurement of technical competencies," Journal of High Technology Management Research, Vol.13, No.1(2002), pp.63-86.
- Wang, Y., H. Lo, and Y. Yang, "The constituents of core competencies and firm performance : evidence from high-technology firms in china," Journal of Engineering and Technology Management, Vol.21(2004), pp. 249-280.
- Valvano, S. and D. Vannoni, "Diversification strategies and corporate coherence evidence from Italian leading firms," Review of Industrial Organization, Vol.23(2003), pp.24-41.
저자의 다른 논문
- 2009 "사용자가 인지한 시간이 모바일 서비스 이용의도에 미치는 영향 - 유비쿼터스 특성의 조절효과를 고려하여 -" 정보시스템연구 = The Journal of information systems 18 (3): 155~181
- 2010 "통합경계시스템의 이용의도에 미치는 영향 요인 분석 - 한국군 GOP 과학화 경계시스템을 중심으로 -" 정보시스템연구 = The Journal of information systems 19 (4): 183~206
- 2014 "인터넷 포탈에 대한 자원 의존성이 온라인 쇼핑몰기업의 성장에 미치는 영향" 한국경영과학회지 = Journal of the Korean Operations Research and Management Science Society 39 (2): 141~154
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기