Anti-inflammatory and Radical Scavenging Effects of Spirodela polyrrhiza
Anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant effect of Spirodela polyrrhiza (Lemnaceae), a widely used traditional medicinal plant were investigated. In macrophages nitric oxide (NO) is released as an inflammatory mediator and has been proposed to be an important modulator of many pathophysiological conditions including inflammation. 85% MeOH extracts of S. polyrrhiza (0.01, 0.1, 1 mg/mL) suppressed nitric oxide production in interferone- $\gamma$ (IFN- $\gamma$ ) and lipopoloysaccharide(LPS)-stimulated macrophages. It also attenuated the expression of inflammatory enzymes like inducible NOS (iNOS) and cyclooxygenase-2(COX-2) as assessed by immunoblotting with specific antibodies. Moreover, the values obtained with DPPH radical, superoxide anion and NO radical scavenging assay showed that S. polyrrhiza has potent antioxidant properties as a natural ROS scavenger. The results of the present study suggest the potential use of S. polyrrhiza in the treatment of ROS-mediated chronic inflammatory diseases such as atherosclerosis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Bonomini, F., Tengattini, S., Fabiano, A., Bianchi, R., and Rezzani, R., Atherosclerosis and oxidative stress. Histol Histopathol. 23, 381-390 (2008).
- Chang, Y.C., Li, P.C., Chen, B.C., Chang, M.S., Wang, J.L., Chiu, W.T., and Lin, C.H., Lipoteichoic acid-induced nitric oxide synthase expression in RAW 264.7 macrophages is mediated by cyclooxygenase- 2, prostaglandin E2, protein kinase A, p38 MAPK, and nuclear factorkappa B pathways. Cell. Signal. 18, 1235-1243 (2006).
- Choi, H.S. and Sa, Y.S., Fibrinolytic and antithrombotic protease from Spirodela polyrhiza. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 65, 781-786 (2001).
- D'Acquisto, F., May, M.J., and Ghosh, S., Inhibition of nuclear factor kappa B (NF-B): an emerging theme in anti-inflammatory therapies. Mol. Interv. 2, 22-35 (2002).
- Gyamfi, M.A., Yonamine, M., and Aniya, Y., Free-radical scavenging action of medicinal herbs from Ghana: Thonningia sanguinea on experimentally-induced liver injuries. Gen. Pharmacol. 32, 661-667 (1999).
- Halliwell, B., Free radicals, antioxidants, and human disease: curiosity, cause, or consequence. Lancet 344, 721-724 (1994).
- Harborne, J.B., The natural distribution in angiosperms of anthocyanins acylated with aliphatic dicarboxylic acids. Phytochemistry 25, 1887- 1894 (1986).
- Kaplan, M., Mutlu, E.A., Benson, M., Fields, J.Z., Banan, A., and Keshavarzian, A., Use of herbal preparations in the treatment of oxidant-mediated inflammatory disorders. Complement Ther. Med. 15, 207-216 (2007).
- Khasina, E.I., Sgrebneva, M.N., Ovodova, R.G., Golovchenko, V.V., and Ovodov, Y.S., Gastroprotective effect of lemnan, a pectic polysaccharide from Lemna minor L. Dokl Biol Sci. 390, 204-206 (2003).
- Kim, H.K., Cheon, B.S., Kim, Y.H., Kim, S.Y., and Kim, H.P., Effects of naturally occurring flavonoids on nitric oxide production in the macrophage cell line RAW 264.7 and their structure-activity relationships. Biochem. Pharmacol. 58, 759-765 (1999).
- Kim, J.H., Lee, E.J., Shin, D.O., Hong, S.E., and Kim, J.K., Protective effect against oxidative stress in medical plant extract. J. Kor. Asso. Radiat. Prot. 25, 37-43 (2000).
- Kim, Y.H. and Ko, W.S., Inhibitory effect of spirodela polyrhiza on the mast cell-mediated immediate hypersensitivity. J. Orient. Physiol. Pathol. 18, 919-923 (2004).
- Nakagawa, T. and Yokozawa, T., Direct scavenging of nitric oxide and superoxide by green tea. Food Chem. Toxicol. 40, 1745-1750 (2002).
- Ovodova, R.G., Golovchenko, V.V., Shashkov, A.S., Popov, S.V., and Ovodov, Iu.S., [Structure and physiological activity of lemnan, Lemna minor L. pectin]. Bioorg. Khim. 26, 743-751 (2000).
- Park, E.J., Min, H.Y., Ahn, Y.H., Bae, C.M., Pyee, J.H., and Lee, S.K., Synthesis and inhibitory effects of pinosylvin derivatives on prostaglandin E2 production in lipopolysaccharide-induced mouse macrophage cells. Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett. 14, 5895-5898 (2004).
- Saha, K., Lajis, N.H., Israf, D.A., Hamzah, A.S., Khozirah, S., Khamis, S., and Syahida, A., Evaluation of antioxidant and nitric oxide inhibitory activities of selected Malaysian medicinal plants. J. Ethnopharmacol. 92, 263-267 (2004).
- Schreck, R., Albermann, K., and Baeuerle, P.A., Nuclear factor kappa B: an oxidative stress-responsive transcription factor of eukaryotic cells (a review). Free Radic. Res. Commun. 17, 221-237 (1992).
- Seo, W.G., Pae, H.O., Oh, G.S., Chai, K.Y., Kwon, T.O., Yun, Y.G., Kim, N.Y., and Chung, H.T., Inhibitory effects of methanol extract of Cyperus rotundus rhizomes on nitric oxide and superoxide productions by murine macrophage cell line, RAW 264.7 cells. J. Ethnopharmacol. 76, 59-64 (2001).
- Singh, V.K., Mehrotra, S., Narayan, P., Pandey, C.M., and Agarwal, S.S., Modulation of autoimmune diseases by nitric oxide. Immunol. Research. 22, 1-19 (2000).
- Suh, S.S. and Shin, J.S., Studies on phytosterols. Yakhak Hoe Chi. 13, 144-146 (1969).
- Surh, Y.J., Chun, K.S., Cha, H.H., Han, S.S., Keum, Y., Park, K., and Lee, S.S., Molecular mechanisms underlying chemopreventive activities of anti-inflammatory phytochemcals; down-regulation of COX-2 and iNOS through suppression of NF-kappa B activation. Mutat. Res. 480, 243-268 (2001).
- Thiemermann, C. and Vane, J., Inhibition of nitric oxide synthesis reduces the hypotension induced by bacterial lipopolysaccharides in the rat in vivo. Eur. J. Pharmacol. 182, 591-595 (1990).
- Van der Vliet, A., Eiserich, J.P., O'Neill, C.A., Halliwell, B., and Cross, C.E., Tyrosine modification by reactive nitrogen species: a closer look. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 319, 341-349 (1995).
- Wallace, J.W., Biosynthetic studies on flavones and C-glycosylflavones: B-ring oxidation patterns. Phytochemistry 14, 1765-1768 (1975).
- Wallace, J.L., Distribution and expression of cyclooxygenase (COX) isoenzymes, their physiological roles, and the categorization of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Am. J. Med. 13, 107, 11S-16S; discussion 16S-17S (1999).
- Watt, J.G., The price of factor VIII. Lancet. 2, 301 (1979).
- Yermilov, V., Rubio, J., and Ohshima, H., Formation of 8-nitroguanine in DNA treated with peroxynitrite in vitro and its rapid removal from DNA by depurination. FEBS Lett. 376, 207-210 (1995).
- Conner, E.M. and Grisham, M.B., Inflammation, free radicals, and antioxidants. Nutrition 12, 274-277 (1996).
- Ibrahim, H.R., Hoq, M.I., and Aoki, T., Ovotransferrin possesses SODlike superoxide anion scavenging activity that is promoted by copper and manganese binding. Int. J. Biol. Macromol. 41, 631-640 (2007).
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (1)
- 2011. "" Natural product sciences, 17(4): 303~308
- NDSL :
- 한국학술정보 : 저널
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기