A New Application Method of Chitosan for Improved Antimicrobial Activity on Wool Fabrics Pretreated by Different Ways
Antimicrobial treatments have become more important for the textile materials especially used in sportswear, activewear, and casual wear since they can easily be contaminated by perspiration leading to bacterial growth and body odor. In this work, antimicrobial activity of chitosan in a silica matrix on pretreated wool fabrics was studied. The pretreatment processes were applied by two different ways (enzymatic and enzymatic+hydrogen peroxide). Afterwards chitosan solutions were applied to the untreated samples and to the samples that were pretreated by two different ways to give antimicrobial effects. The antimicrobial activity of wool fabrics treated in various methods was assessed before and after repeated washings (up to 10 cycles) by the application of standard test method AATCC 147-1998. The morphology of the treated fabrics was investigated by SEM and their characterizations were made by the FT-IR spectral analysis. Results revealed that pretreatment ways and chitosan application methods were quite important for adsorption and diffusion of chitosan on wool fabrics and washing stability. From the SEM images, it was clearly observed that pretreatment processes caused some degradation on the surface of the fiber; but combined processes were found to be less degradative and more effective.
- C. J. S. M. Silva, M. Prabaharan, G. Gubitz, and A. Cavaco-Paulo, Enzyme Microb. Technol., 36, 917 (2005).
- J. M. Cardamone, J. Yao, and A. Nunez, Text. Res. J., 74, 887 (2004).
- E. Pascual and M. R. Julia, J. Biotechnol., 89, 289 (2001).
- T. Oktem, Color. Technol., 119, 241 (2003).
- A. Demir, Ph.D. Thesis, Ege University, Turkey, 2007.
- S. Vilchez, A. M. Manich, P. Jovancic, and P. Erra, Carbohyd. Polym., 71, 515 (2008).
- M. Rinaudo, Prog. Polym. Sci., 31, 603 (2006).
- Y. Gao and R. Cranston, Text. Res. J., 78, 60 (2008).
- B. Mahltig, D. Fiedler, and H. Bottcher, J. Sol-gel Sci. Technol., 32, 219 (2004).
- B. Tomsic, B. Simoncic, B. Orel, M. Zerjav, H. Schroers, A. Simoncic, and Z. Samardzija, Carbohyd. Polym., 75, 618 (2009).
- K. Schafer, Wool Tech. Sheep Breed., 42, 59 (1994).
- K. M. G. Hossain, M. D. Gonzalez, G. R. Lozano, and T. Tzanov, J. Biotechnol., 141, 58 (2009).
- Y. Martinez, J. Retuert, M. Yazdani-Pedram, and H. Colfen, Polymer, 45, 3257 (2004).
- Y. Tao, J. Pan, S. Yan, B. Tang, and L. Zhu, Mater. Sci. Eng. B-Solid, 138, 84 (2007).
- H. Haufe, A. Thron, D. Fiedler, B. Mahltig, and H. Bottcher, Surf. Coat. Int. Part B: Coat. Trans., 88, 55 (2005).
- A. Demir, H. A. Karahan, E. Ozdogan, T. Oktem, and N. Seventekin, Fibres Text. East. Eur., 67, 89 (2008).
- H. S. Barud, R. M. N. Assuncao, M. A. U. Martines, J. Dexpert-Ghys, R. F. C. Marques, Y. Messaddeq, and S. J. L. Ribeiro, J. Sol-gel Sci. Technol., 46, 363 (2008).
- S. Wang, W. Hou, L. Wei, H. Jia, X. Liu, and B. Xu, Surf. Coat. Technol., 202, 460 (2007).
- J. Shen, M. Rushforth, A. Cavaco-Paulo, G. Guebitz, and H. Lenting, Enzyme Microb. Technol., 40, 1656 (2007).
- S. H. Lim and S. M. Hudson, J. Macromol. Sci. Polym. Rev., 43, 223 (2003).
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기