Determination of the minute range for RSM to select the optimum cutting conditions during turning on CNC lathe
Taguchi method and RSM (response surface method) are two of the most well known DOE (design of experiment) techniques. The levels of parameters are recommended to be taken far apart in the Taguchi method in order to cover a wide region to increase the chance of capturing nonlinearity of the relationship between the control and control factors. On the contrary, as long as the optimum is located within the region, RSM needs it to be as small as possible to identify the exact optimum. In this study, the Taguchi method is used to determine the rough region first, followed by RSM technique to determine the exact optimum value during turning on a CNC lathe. A new region reducing algorithm is introduced to narrow down the region of the Taguchi method for RSM. To achieve the goal, the result from the Taguchi method is fed to train the artificial neural network (ANN), whose optimum value is used to drive the region reducing algorithm. The proposed algorithm is tested under different cutting condition with different insert and work material. Data located in the literature is also used to inspect the adequacy of the region reducing algorithm. Both results show that the introduced algorithm has a good region reducing capability. In a separated experiment, it is shown that the obtained cutting condition from RSM gives a better result than that from the Taguchi method.
- D. C. Montgomery, Design and analysis experiments (5th edition), New York WHey, USA (2001).
- I. Mukherjee and K. R. Pradip, A review of optimization techniques in metal cutting processes, Computers & Industrial Engineering, 50 (2006) 15-34.
- H. C. Zang and S. H. Huang, Application of neural network in manufacturing-a state of art survey, International Journal of Production Research, 33 (3) (1995) 705-728.
- M. S. Phadke, Quality engineering using robust design, New Jersey, AT&T Bells Laboratory/Prentice Hall (1989).
- S. Shaji and V. Radhakrisnan, Analysis of process parameters in surface grinding with graphite as lubricant based on Taguchi method, Journal of Material Process Technology (2003) 1-9.
- A. Y. Youssef, Y. Beauchamp and M. Thomas, Comparison of a full factorial experiment to fractional and Taguchi's method in a lathe dry tuming operation, Computer and Industrial Engineering, 27 (1-4) (1994) 59-62.
- S, H. Lee and B. M, Kwak, Development of an optimiu'ltion algoritlml based on the Taguchi method, KSME spring conference (2001) 565-571.
- O. E, P. Box, Discussion of off-line quality control, parame- ter design, and the Taguchi method' by R. N. Kackar, Jour. of Quality Tech., 17 (1985) 189-190.
- G.G. Vining and R. H. Myers, Combining Taguchi and response surface philosophies: A dual response approaches, Jour. of Quality Tech., 22 (1) (1990) 38-45.
- S. L. C. Ferreira, R. E. Bruns, H. S. Ferreira, G. D. Matos, J. M. David, O. C. Brandao, E. O. P. Da Silva, L. A. Portugal, P. S. dos Reis, A. S. Souza and W. N. L dos Santos, BoxBelmken design: An alternative fl:)f the optimization of analytical methods, Analytica Chimica Acta 597 (2007) 179-186.
- J.-S. Kwak, Application of Taguchi and response surface methodologies for geometric error in surface grinding process, International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture, 45 (2005) 327-334.
- K. Fuh and H. Chang, An accuracy model for the peripheral milling of aluminum alloys using response surface design, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 72 (1997) 42-47.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (4)
- Kim, Yong-Sun ; Kwon, Won-Tae 2011. "Determination of Optimal Cutting Conditions in Milling Process using Multiple Design of Experiments Technique" 한국생산제조시스템학회지 = Journal of the Korean Society of Manufacturing Technology Engineers, 20(3): 232~238
- 2012. "" Journal of mechanical science and technology, 26(11): 3587~3595
- 2012. "" International journal of precision engineering and manufacturing, 13(6): 941~946
- Han, Kyu-Taek 2014. "Research on Die Machining using 3D Printing and CAM System" 한국동력기계공학회지 = Journal of the Korean Society for Power System Engineering, 18(6): 91~98
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기