Evaluation of friction coefficient using simplified deformation model of plastic hemispherical contact with a rigid flat
This work evaluates the friction coefficient using the model of plastic hemispherical contact against a rigid flat. The fractional profile of an ellipsoid is utilized to describe the deformed hemispherical shape, and simultaneously define the contact area ratio. Particularly, an adhesion factor is defined to assess the junction ability of asperity adhesion under compressive loading. Additionally, the complex process of contact is assumed as a series of contact states changing from fracture to shearing. The friction coefficient, which obeys the constant friction law, is then derived as a function of interference and strain hardening exponent via adhesion theory. Finally, a comparison of friction coefficient is made with the published experiment, showing that the calculated value is larger than the experimental value. Some practical conclusions are presented and a conceptual understanding of contact friction is provided.
- P. J. Blau, The significance and use of the friction coefficient, Tribology International, 34 (2001) 585-591.
- J. A. Greenwood and J. B. P. Williamson, Contact of nominally flat surfaces, Proc, R. Soc. London, Ser A, 295 (1966) 300-319.
- E.J. Abbott and F. A. Firestone, Specifying surface quality a method based on accurate measurement and comparison, Mech. Eng. Am. Soc. Mech. Eng., 55 (1933) 569-572.
- W. R. Chang, l. Etsion and D. B. Bogy, Static friction coefficient model metallic rough surfaces, ASME, J. Tribol., 110 (1988) 57-63.
- L. Kogut and I. Etsion, A semi-analytical solution for the sliding: inception of a spherical contact, ASME, J. Tribol., 125 (2003) 499-506.
- L. Kogut and I. Etsion, A static friction model for elasticplastic contacting rough surfaces, ASME, J. Tribol., 126 (2004) 34-40.
- I. Etsion, O. Levinson, G, Halperin and M, Varenberg, Experimental investigation of the elastic-plastic contact and static friction coefficient of a sphere on flat, ASME, J. Tribol., 127 (2005) 47-50.
- V. Brizmer, Y. Kligerman and I. Etsion, Elastic-plastic spherical contact under combined normal and tangential loading in full stick, Tribology Letters, 25 (2007) 61-70.
- A. Ovcharenko, G. Halperin and I. Etsion, Experimental study of adhesive static friction in a spherical elastic-plastic contact, ASME,J. Tribol., 130 (2008) 021401.
- F. P. Bowden and D. Tabor, The Friction and Lubrication of Solids, Clarendon Press, Oxford (1953).
- M. C. Shaw, Metal Cutting Principles, Oxford Press, Oxford (1970).
- L. Kogut and I. Etsion, elastic-plastic contact analysis of a sphere and a rigid flat, ASME, J. Appl. Mech., 69 (5) (2002) 657-662.
- M. A.-N. Hassan Mohamed, N. G. El-Sebaie and K. Yamaguchi, An improved punch friction test in sheet metal forming, Journal of the JSTP, 42 (480) (2001) 31-37.
- T. Wanheim and N. Bay, A model for friction in metal forming processes, Annuals of the CIRP, 27 (1978) 189-194.
- N. Bay, T. Wanheim and B. Avitzur, Models for friction in metal forming, Proc. NAMRC XVII (SME) (1989) 372-379.
- U. Engel and R. Eckstein, Microforming-from basic research to its realization, J. Mater. Process, Technol., 125-126 (2002) 35-44.
- D. Cohen, Y, Kligerman and I. Etsion, The effect of surface roughness on static friction and junction growth of an elastic-plastic spherical contact, ASME, J. Tribol., 131 (2009) 021404.
- R. Jackson and I. Green, A finite element study of elastic-plastic hemispherical contact against a rigid flat, ASME, J. Tribol, 127 (2005) 343-354.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (1)
- 2012. "" Journal of mechanical science and technology, 26(9): 2903~2911
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기