Agonistic Anti-CD137 Monoclonal Antibody Treatment Induces CD11b+Gr-1+ Myeloid-derived Suppressor Cells
CD137 (4-1BB/tnfrsf9) has been shown to co-stimulate T cells. However, agonistic anti-CD137 monoclonal antibody (mAb) treatment can suppress $CD4^+$ T cells, ameliorating autoimmune diseases, whereas it induces activation of $CD8^+$ T cells, resulting in diverse therapeutic activity in cancer, viral infection. To investigate the CD137-mediated T cell suppression mechanism, we examined whether anti-CD137 mAb treatment could affect $CD11b^+Gr-1^+$ myeloid-derived suppressor cells (MDSCs). Intriguingly, anti-CD137 mAb injection significantly increased $CD11b^+Gr-1^+$ cells, peaking at days 5 to 10 and continuing for at least 25 days. Furthermore, this cell population could suppress both $CD8^+$ T cells and $CD4^+$ T cells. Thus, this study demonstrated that, for the first time, anti-CD137 mAb treatment could induce $CD11b^+Gr-1^+$ MDSCs under normal conditions, suggesting a possible relationship between myeloid cell induction and CD137-mediated immune suppression.
- Vinay DS, Cha K, Kwon BS: Dual immunoregulatory pathways of 4-1BB signaling. J Mol Med 84;726-736, 2006
- Miller RE, Jones J, Le T, Whitmore J, Boiani N, Gliniak B, Lynch DH: 4-1BB-specific monoclonal antibody promotes the generation of tumor-specific immune responses by direct activation of CD8 T cells in a CD40-dependent manner. J Immunol 169;1792-1800, 2002
- Xu D, Gu P, Pan PY, Li Q, Sato AI, Chen SH: NK and CD8＋ T cell-mediated eradication of poorly immunogenic B16-F10 melanoma by the combined action of IL-12 gene therapy and 4-1BB costimulation. Int J Cancer 109;499-506, 2004
- Halstead ES, Mueller YM, Altman JD, Katsikis PD: In vivo stimulation of CD137 broadens primary antiviral CD8＋ T cell responses. Nat Immunol 3;536-541, 2002
- Hong HJ, Lee JW, Park SS, Kang YJ, Chang SY, Kim KM, Kim JO, Murthy KK, Payne JS, Yoon SK, Park MJ, Kim IC, Kim JG, Kang CY: A humanized anti--4-1BB monoclonal antibody suppresses antigen-induced humoral immune response in nonhuman primates. J Immunother 23;613-621, 2000
- Sun Y, Chen HM, Subudhi SK, Chen J, Koka R, Chen L, Fu YX: Costimulatory molecule-targeted antibody therapy of a spontaneous autoimmune disease. Nat Med 8;1405- 1413, 2002
- Sun Y, Lin X, Chen HM, Wu Q, Subudhi SK, Chen L, Fu YX: Administration of agonistic anti-4-1BB monoclonal antibody leads to the amelioration of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. J Immunol 168;1457-1465, 2002
- Foell J, Strahotin S, O'Neil SP, McCausland MM, Suwyn C, Haber M, Chander PN, Bapat AS, Yan XJ, Chiorazzi N, Hoffmann MK, Mittler RS: CD137 costimulatory T cell receptor engagement reverses acute disease in lupus-prone NZB x NZW F1 mice. J Clin Invest 111;1505-1518, 2003
- Seo SK, Choi JH, Kim YH, Kang WJ, Park HY, Suh JH, Choi BK, Vinay DS, Kwon BS: 4-1BB-mediated immunotherapy of rheumatoid arthritis. Nat Med 10;1088-1094, 2004
- Foell JL, Diez-Mendiondo BI, Diez OH, Holzer U, Ruck P, Bapat AS, Hoffmann MK, Mittler RS, Dannecker GE: Engagement of the CD137 (4-1BB) costimulatory molecule inhibits and reverses the autoimmune process in collagen- induced arthritis and establishes lasting disease resistance. Immunology 113;89-98, 2004
- Kim J, Choi WS, La S, Suh JH, Kim BS, Cho HR, Kwon BS, Kwon B: Stimulation with 4-1BB (CD137) inhibits chronic graft-versus-host disease by inducing activation-induced cell death of donor CD4＋ T cells. Blood 105; 2206-2213, 2005
- Kim YH, Seo SK, Choi BK, Kang WJ, Kim CH, Lee SK, Kwon BS: 4-1BB costimulation enhances HSV-1-specific CD8＋ T cell responses by the induction of CD11c＋CD8＋ T cells. Cell Immunol 238;76-86, 2005
- Vinay DS, Kim CH, Choi BK, Kwon BS: Origins and functional basis of regulatory CD11c＋CD8＋ T cells. Eur J Immunol 39;1552-1563, 2009
- Lee SW, Park Y, So T, Kwon BS, Cheroutre H, Mittler RS, Croft M: Identification of regulatory functions for 4-1BB and 4-1BBL in myelopoiesis and the development of dendritic cells. Nat Immunol 9;917-926, 2008
- Niu L, Strahotin S, Hewes B, Zhang B, Zhang Y, Archer D, Spencer T, Dillehay D, Kwon B, Chen L, Vella AT, Mittler RS: Cytokine-mediated disruption of lymphocyte trafficking, hemopoiesis, and induction of lymphopenia, anemia, and thrombocytopenia in anti-CD137-treated mice. J Immunol 178;4194-4213, 2007
- Gabrilovich DI, Nagaraj S: Myeloid-derived suppressor cells as regulators of the immune system. Nat Rev Immunol 9;162-174, 2009
- Dubrot J, Azpilikueta A, Alfaro C, Murillo O, Arina A, Berraondo P, Hervas-Stubbs S, Melero I: Absence of surface expression of CD137 (4-1BB) on Myeloid-derived suppressor cells. Immunologia 26;121-126, 2007
- Wang C, Lin GH, McPherson AJ, Watts TH: Immune regulation by 4-1BB and 4-1BBL: complexities and challenges. Immunol Rev 229;192-215, 2009
- DOI : http://dx.doi.org/10.4110/in.2010.10.3.104
- PubMed Central : 저널 > https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2902672
- Synapse : 저널
- KCI :
- DBPia : 저널
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기