Molecular Characterization and Survey of the Infection Rate of Orchid fleck virus in Commercial Orchids
Orchid fleck virus (OFV) is an unassigned plant virus in the family Rhabdoviridae. OFV was isolated from Cymbidium sp. showing oval necrotic lesions on their leaves in Korea, and designated as OFV-NHHS1. The complete nucleotide sequence of the RNA1 (6,413 nt) (GenBank accession no. AB516442) and RNA2 (6,001 nt) (GenBank accession no. AB516441) was determined in this study. RNA1 and RNA2 contained five and one ORF respectively. RNA1 encodes nucleocapsid (N) of 49 kDa, ORF2 of 26 kDa, ORF3 of 38 kDa, ORF4 of 20 kDa and glycoprotein (G) of 61 kDa proteins, whereas RNA2 encodes a single polymerase of 212 kDa. OFV-NHHS1 shared extremely high similarity of 98.6-100% and 98.9-99.6% in nucleotidle and amino acid sequences with a Japanese isolate, OFV-so, respectively. However, the N, G and L of OFV-NHHS1 revealed 6.9-19.3%, 7.3-12.0%, and 13.4-26.6% identities to those of 29 Rhabdoviruses, respectively. To survey the infection rate of OFV in commercial orchids in Korea, 51 Cymbidium sp., 10 Phalaenopsis sp., 22 Oncidium sp. and 21 Dendrobium sp. plants that showed typical viral symptoms were collected. RT-PCR with specific primers for detection of Cymbidium mosaic virus (CymMV), ORSV and OFV showed high infection rate by ORSV alone and double infection by ORSV and CymMV. One of the orchids tested was infected with OFV. This is the first report of the complete nucleotide sequences of OFV isolated in Korea.
- Blanchfield, A. L., Machenzie, A. M., Gibbs, A., Kondo, H., Tamada, T. and Wilson, C. R. 2001. Identification of Orchid fleck virus by reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction and analysis of isolate relationships. J. Phytopathol. 149:713-718.
- Chang, M. U., Arai, K., Doi, Y. and Yora, K. 1976. Morphology and intracellular appearance of orchid fleck virus. Ann. Phytopathol. Soc. Jpn. 42:156-167.
- Chang, M. U., Chun, H. H., Baek, D. H. and Chung, J. D. 1991. Studies on the viruses in orchids in Korea. 2. Dendrobium mosaic virus, odontoglossum ringspot virus, orchid fleck virus, and unidentified potyvirus. Korean J. Plant Pathol. 7: 118-129.
- Doi, Y., Chang, M.U. and Yora, K. 1977. Orchid fleck virus. CMI/ AAB Description of Plant Viruses No. 183.
- Doi, Y. Arai, K. and Yora, K. 1969. Distribution of bacilliform virus particles in Masaki mosaic disease and Cymbidium ring spot disease. Ann. Phytopathol. Soc. Japan. 35:388 (Abstract).
- Francki, R. I. B. 1970. Cymbidium mosaic potexvirus. CMI/AAB Description of Plant Viruses No. 27.
- Freitas-Astua, J., Rezende, J. A. M. and Kitajima, E. W. 1999. Incidence of orchid viruses in the state of Sao Paulo, Brazil. Fitopatol Bras 24:125-130.
- Freitas-Astua, J., Moreira, L., Rivera, C., Rodriguez, C. M. and Kitajima, E. W. 2002. First report of orchid fleck virus in Costa Rica. Plant Dis 86:1402.
- Gibbs, A., Mackenzie, A., Blanchfield, A., Cross, P., Wilson, C., Kitajima, E. W., Nightingale M. and Clements M. 2000. Viruses of orchids in Australia: their identification, biology and control. Aust. Orchid Rev. 65:10-21.
- Hogenhout, S. A. Ammar, E. D., Whitfield, A. E. and Redinbaugh, M. E. 2008. Insect vector interactions with persistently transmitted viruses. Annu. Rev. Phytopathol. 46:327-359.
- Huang, Y. W., Geng, Y., Ying, X. B., Chen, X. Y. and Fang, R. X. 2005. Identification of a movement protein of rice yellow stunt rhabdovirus. J. Virol. 79:2108-2114.
- Jackson, A. O., Dietzgen, R. G., Goodin, M. M., Bragg, J. N. and Deng, M. 2005. Biology of plant rhabdoviruses. Annu. Rev. Phytopahtol. 43:623-660.
- Kitajima, E. W. Kondo, H., Mackenzie, A., Rezende, J. A. M., Gioria, R., Gibs, A. and Tamada, T. 2001. Comparative cytopathology and immunocytochemistry of Japanese, Australian and Brazilian isolates of orchid fleck virus. J. Gen. Plant Pathol. 67:231-237.
- Kondo, H., Maeda, T. and Tamada, T. 2003. Orchid fleck virus: Brevipalpus californicus mite transmission, biological properties and genome structure. Exp. Appl. Acarol. 30: 215-223.
- Kondo, H., Maeda, T., Shirako, Y. and Tamada, T. 2006. Orchid fleck virus is a rhabdovirus with an unusual bipartite genome. J. Gen. Virol. 87:2413-2421.
- Lawson, R. H. and Hsu, H. T. 1995. Orchid. In: Virus and Viruslike Diseases of Bulb and Flower Crops. Ed. by G. Loebenstein, R. H. Lawwon and A. A. Brunt, pp. 409-420, John Wiley & Sons, N. Y.
- Paul, H. L. 1975. Odontoglossum ring spot virus. CMI/AAB Description of plant viruses No. 155.
- Seo, J. W. 2004. A taxonomic study on the false spider mites (Acari: Tenuipalpidae) in Korea. MS Diss., Chonbuk National University, Chonbuk. (Diss. 1-59).
- NDSL :
- 한국식물병리학회 : 저널
- KCI :
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 이용한 콘텐츠
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기