Finite element study for determination of material's creep parameters from small punch test
Compared with the conventional tensile creep test, it is much more difficult to obtain the creep properties of a material by the small punch creep test due to the complex deformation response and stress distribution in the miniature specimen of the material. Although creep behavior has been investigated by the small punch test, most studies have been limited to a specimen geometry and therefore, cannot be extended to other conditions conveniently. In this study, a new developed analysis routine is presented to derive the creep parameters of a material using data obtained from the small punch creep test. With the aid of the finite element method, the displacement and the displacement rate of the small punch are obtained for different load levels. The relationship between the stress and creep strain of the specimen and the applied load and the punch displacement is obtained by a dimensional analysis and the membrane stretching model. The creep properties obtained from small punch tests and the conventional creep tests are also compared. The values of the creep properties between the two types of tests agree well with each other within an acceptable accuracy range. This indicates that it is possible to obtain the creep parameters of a material from the small punch creep test instead of the conventional creep test by the analysis routines proposed in this study. Some suggestions for data reduction of the small punch creep tests are also presented to obtain more accurate material creep parameters.
- M. P. Manahan, A. S. Argon and O. K. Hariing, The devel opment of a miniaturized disk bend test for the determination of post-irradiation mechanical properties, Journal of Nuclear Materials. 104 (1981) 1545-1550.
- J. H. Bulloch, The small punch toughness test: some detailed fractographic information. International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping. 63 (1995) 177-194.
- A. A. Becker, T. H. Hyde and L. Xia, Numerical analysis of creep in components. The Journal of Strain Analysis for Engineering Design. 29 (1994) 185-192.
- D. P. Butt, D. A. Korzekwa and S. A. Maloy, etc. Impression creep behavior of SiC particle-MoSi2 composites. Journal of Materials Research. 11 (1996) 1528-1536.
- T. H. Hyde, K. A. Yehia and A. A. Becker, Interpretation of impression creep data using a reference stress approach. International Journal of Mechanical Sciences. 35 (6) (1993) 451-462.
- Z. Yang and Z. W. Wang, Relationship between strain and central deflection in small punch creep specimens. International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping. 80 (2003) 397-404.
- K. B. Yoon, T. G. Park and S. H. Shim etc. Assessment of creep properties of 9Cr steel using small punch creep testing, Transaction of KSME(A) (in Korean). 25 (2001) 1493-1500.
- T. G. Park, S. H. Shim and K. B. Yoon etc. A study on parameters measured during small punch creep testing. Transaction of KSME(A) (in Korean). 26 (2002) 171-178.
- K. Milieka and F. Dobes, Small punch testing of P91 steel. International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping. 83 (9) (2006) 625-634.
- R. Hurst, V. Bicego and J. Foulds, Small punch testing for creep - progress in Europe. Eighth International Conference on Creep and Fatigue at Elevated Temperatures. San Antonio, Texas. (2007) 1-6.
- G. I. Barenblatt, Scaling, Self-Similarity, and Intermediate Asymptotics. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. (1996).
- Y. T. Cheng and C. M. Cheng, What is indentation hardness? Surface and Coatings Technology. 133-134 (2000) 417-424.
- Y. J. Liu, B. Zhao, B. X. XU and Z. F. Yue, Experimental and numerical study of the method to determine the creep parameters from the indentation creep testing. Materials Science and Engineering A. 456 (1-2) (2007) 103-108.
- Y. Cao, Determination of the creep exponent of a powerlaw creep solid using indentation tests. Mechanics of TimeDependent Materials. 11 (2) (2007) 159-172.
- J. Chakrabarty, A theory of stretch forming over hemispherical punch heads. International Journal of Mechanical Sciences. 12 (1970) 315-325.
- ABAQUS standard User's Manual, Version 6.5, USA ABAQUS Inc. (2005).
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기