Evaluation of cyclic plasticity models of multi-surface and non-linear hardening by an energy-based fatigue criterion
This study examines the performance of four constitutive models according to capacity in predicting metal fatigue life under proportional and non-proportional loading conditions. These cyclic plasticity models are the multi-surface models of Mroz and Garud, and the non-linear kinematic hardening models of Armstrong-Frederick and Chaboche. The range of abilities of these models is studied in detail. Furthermore, the plastic strain energy under multiaxial fatigue condition is calculated in the cyclic plasticity models by the stress-strain hysteresis loops. Using the results of these models, the fatigue lives that have set in the energy-based fatigue model are predicted and evaluated with the reported experimental data of 1% Cr-Mo-V steel in the literature. Consequently, the optimum model in the loading condition for this metal is chosen based on life factor.
- H. J. Gough, Engineering steels under combined cyclic and static stresses. Journal of Applied Mechanics, 50 (1950) 113-125.
- B. R. You and S. B. Lee, A critical review on multiaxial fatigue assessments of metals. International Journal of Fatigue, 18 (4) (1996) 235-244.
- A. Fatemi and D. F. Soc ie, Critical plane approaches to multiaxial fatigue damage including out-of-phase loading. Fatigue & Fracture of Engineering Materials & Structures, 11 (3) (1988) 149-165.
- E. Macha and C. M. Sonsino, Energy criteria of multiaxial fatigue failure. Fatigue & Fracture of Engineering Materials & Structures, 22 (1999) 1053-1070.
- I. V. Papadopoulos, P. Davoli, C. Gorla, M. Fillippini and A. Bernasconi, A comparative study of multiaxial high-cycle fatigue criteria for metals. International Journal of Fatigue, 19 (3) (1997) 219-235.
- D. H. Kwak, H. R. Roh, J. K. Kim and S. B. Cho, A study on fretting fatigue life prediction for Cr-Mo Steel (SCM420). Journal of the Korean Society of Precision Engineering, 24 (4) (2007) 123-130.
- G. Rashed, R. Ghajar and G. Farrahi, Multiaxial stress-strain modeling and effect of additional hardening due to nonproportionalloading. Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, 21 (8)(2007) 1153-1161.
- Y. Yokobori, H. Yamanouc and S. Yamamoto, Low cycle fatigue of thin-walled hollow cylinder specimens of mild steel in uniaxial tests at constant strain amplitude. International Journal of Fracture Mechanics, 1 (1965) 3-13.
- C. E. Feltner and J. Morrow, Microplastic strain hysteresis energy as a criterion for fatigue fracture. Journal of Basic Engineering, Transactions of the ASME, Series D, 83 (1961) 15-22.
- J. Morrow, Cyclic plastic strain energy and fatigue of metals. Internal friction,damping and cyclic plasticity, ASTM STP 378, American Society for Testing and Materials, West Conshohocken,PA, (1965) 45-87.
- G. R. Halford, The energy required for fatigue. Journal of materials, 1 (1) (1996) 3-18.
- H. Jahed and A. Varvani-Farahani, Upper and lower fatigue life limits model using energy-based fatigue properties. International Journal of Fatigue, 28 (2006) 467-473.
- M. Hallinan and T. Seeger, A generalized method for estimating multiaxial elastic-plastic notch stresses and strains, part1. Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, 107 (1985) 250-254.
- D. McDowell, An evaluation of recent developments in hardening and flow rules for rate-independent, nonproportional cyclic plasticity. ASME, Journal of Applied Mechanics, 54 (1987) 323-334.
- Y. Dafalias and E. Popove, Plastic internal variables formalism of cyclic plasticity. ASME. Journal of Applied Mechanics, 43 (1975) 645-651.
- S. Bari and T. Hassan, Kinematic hardening rules in uncoupled modeling for multiaxial ratcheting simulation. International Journal of Plasticity, 17 (2001) 885-905.
- W. Prager, A new method of analyzing stresses and strains in work hardening. Journal of Applied Mechanics, 23 (1956) 493-496.
- P. J. Armstrong and C. O. Frederick, A mathematical representation of the multiaxial Bauschinger effect. G.E.G.B. Report RD/B/N731,Berkeley Nuclear Laboratories, (1966).
- J. L. Chaboche, Time-independent constitutive theories for cyclic plasticity. International Journal of Plasticity, 2 (2) (1986) 149-188.
- J. L. Chaboche, Constitutive equations for cyclic plasticity and cyclic viscoplasticity. International Journal of Plasticity, 5 (3) (1989) 247-302.
- J. L. Chaboche, On some modifications of kinematic hardening to improve the description of ratchetting effects. International Journal of Plasticity, 7 (7) (1991) 661-678.
- Z. Mr6z, On the description of anisotropic work-hardening. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 15 (1967) 163-175.
- Z. Mr6z, An attempt to describe the behavior of metals under cyclic loads using a more general workhardening model. Acta Mechanica, 7 (2)(1969) 199-212.
- Y. S. Garud, Multiaxial fatigue: a survey of the state of the art. Journal of Testing and Evaluation, 9 (1981) 165-178.
- J. Yanyao, O. W. Christian, V. Michael and N. Horst, Fatigue life predictions by integrating EVICD fatigue damage model and an advanced cyclic plasticity theory. International Journal of Plasticity, 25 (5) (2009) 780-801.
- D. Lohr, R. and E. G. Ellison, Biaxial high strain fatigue testing of 1% Cr-Mo-V steel. Fatigue of Engineering Materials & Structures, 3 (1980) 19-37.
- K. Kanazawa, K. J. Miller and M. W. Brown, Cyclic deformation of 1% Cr-Mo-V steel under out-of-phase loads. Fatigue of Engineering Materials & Structures, 2 (1979) 217-228.
- M. W. Brown, K. J. M., Biaxial cyclic deformation behaviour of steels. Fatigue of Engineering Materials & Structures, 1 (1979) 93-106.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (3)
- 2012. "" Journal of mechanical science and technology, 26(10): 3067~3072
- 2012. "" Journal of mechanical science and technology, 26(10): 3073~3079
- 2012. "" Journal of mechanical science and technology, 26(11): 3439~3446
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기