Biological effects of a semiconductor diode laser on human periodontal ligament fibroblasts
Purpose: It has been reported that low-level semiconductor diode lasers could enhance the wound healing process. The periodontal ligament is crucial for maintaining the tooth and surrounding tissues in periodontal wound healing. While low-level semiconductor diode lasers have been used in low-level laser therapy, there have been few reports on their effects on periodontal ligament fibroblasts (PDLFs). We performed this study to investigate the biological effects of semiconductor diode lasers on human PDLFs. Methods: Human PDLFs were cultured and irradiated with a gallium-aluminum-arsenate (GaAlAs) semiconductor diode laser of which the wavelength was 810 nm. The power output was fixed at 500 mW in the continuous wave mode with various energy fluencies, which were 1.97, 3.94, and 5.91 $J/cm^2$ . A culture of PDLFs without laser irradiation was regarded as a control. Then, cells were additionally incubated in 72 hours for MTS assay and an alkaline phosphatase (ALPase) activity test. At 48 hours post-laser irradiation, western blot analysis was performed to determine extracellular signal-regulated kinase (ERK) activity. ANOVA was used to assess the significance level of the differences among groups (P $J/cm^2$ (P $J/cm^2$ energy fluency (P $J/cm^2$ energy fluency than in the control. Conclusions: The present study demonstrated that the GaAlAs semiconductor diode laser promoted proliferation and differentiation of human PDLFs.
- Midda M. Lasers in periodontics. Newsl Int Acad Periodontol 1991;1:2-3.
- Midda M. Lasers in periodontics. Periodontal Clin Investig 1992;14:14-20.
- Midda M. The use of lasers in periodontology. Curr Opin Dent 1992;2:104-8.
- Ando Y, Aoki A, Watanabe H, Ishikawa I. Bactericidal effect of erbium YAG laser on periodontopathic bacteria. Lasers Surg Med 1996;19:190-200.
- Aoki A, Sasaki KM, Watanabe H, Ishikawa I. Lasers in nonsurgical periodontal therapy. Periodontol 2000 2004;36:59-97.
- Folwaczny M, Mehl A, Aggstaller H, Hickel R. Antimicrobial effects of 2.94 microm Er:YAG laser radiation on root surfaces: an in vitro study. J Clin Periodontol 2002;29:73-8.
- Moritz A, Schoop U, Goharkhay K, Schauer P, Doertbudak O, Wernisch J, et al. Treatment of periodontal pockets with a diode laser. Lasers Surg Med 1998;22:302-11.
- Conlan MJ, Rapley JW, Cobb CM. Biostimulation of wound healing by low-energy laser irradiation: a review. J Clin Periodontol 1996;23:492-6.
- Mester E, Spiry T, Szende B, Tota JG. Effect of laser rays on wound healing. Am J Surg 1971;122:532-5.
- Reddy GK, Stehno-Bittel L, Enwemeka CS. Laser photostimulation accelerates wound healing in diabetic rats. Wound Repair Regen 2001;9:248-55.
- Pinfildi CE, Liebano RE, Hochman BS, Ferreira LM. Helium-neon laser in viability of random skin flap in rats. Lasers Surg Med 2005;37:74-7.
- Isaka J, Ohazama A, Kobayashi M, Nagashima C, Takiguchi T, Kawasaki H, et al. Participation of periodontal ligament cells with regeneration of alveolar bone. J Periodontol 2001;72:314-23.
- Lekic P, McCulloch CA. Periodontal ligament cell population: the central role of fibroblasts in creating a unique tissue. Anat Rec 1996;245:327-41.
- Kreisler M, Christoffers AB, Willershausen B, d'Hoedt B. Effect of low-level GaAlAs laser irradiation on the proliferation rate of human periodontal ligament fibroblasts: an in vitro study. J Clin Periodontol 2003;30:353-8.
- Kreisler M, Meyer C, Stender E, Daublander M, Willershausen-Zonnchen B, d'Hoedt B. Effect of diode laser irradiation on the attachment rate of periodontal ligament cells: an in vitro study. J Periodontol 2001;72:1312-7.
- do Nascimento PM, Pinheiro AL, Salgado MA, Ramalho LM. A preliminary report on the effect of laser therapy on the healing of cutaneous surgical wounds as a consequence of an inversely proportional relationship between wave-length and intensity: histological study in rats. Photomed Laser Surg 2004;22:513-8.
- Correa F, Lopes Martins RA, Correa JC, Iversen VV, Joenson J, Bjordal JM. Low-level laser therapy (GaAs lambda = 904 nm) reduces inflammatory cell migration in mice with lipopolysaccharide-induced peritonitis. Photomed Laser Surg 2007;25:245-9.
- Kreisler M, Christoffers AB, Al-Haj H, Willershausen B, d'Hoedt B. Low level 809-nm diode laser-induced in vitro stimulation of the proliferation of human gingival fibro-blasts. Lasers Surg Med 2002;30:365-9.
- Pereira AN, Eduardo Cde P, Matson E, Marques MM. Effect of low-power laser irradiation on cell growth and pro-collagen synthesis of cultured fibroblasts. Lasers Surg Med 2002;31:263-7.
- Shimizu N, Yamaguchi M, Goseki T, Shibata Y, Takiguchi H, Iwasawa T, et al. Inhibition of prostaglandin E2 and interleukin 1-beta production by low-power laser irradiation in stretched human periodontal ligament cells. J Dent Res 1995;74:1382-8.
- Giannopoulou C, Cimasoni G. Functional characteristics of gingival and periodontal ligament fibroblasts. J Dent Res 1996;75:895-902.
- Gumbiner BM. Cell adhesion: the molecular basis of tissue architecture and morphogenesis. Cell 1996;84:345-57.
- Kim TI, Jang JH, Lee YM, Rhyu IC, Chung CP, Han SB, et al. Biomimetic approach on human periodontal ligament cells using synthetic oligopeptides. J Periodontol 2004;75:925-32.
- Ozawa Y, Shimizu N, Kariya G, Abiko Y. Low-energy laser irradiation stimulates bone nodule formation at early stages of cell culture in rat calvarial cells. Bone 1998;22:347-54.
- Kreisler M, Al Haj H, d'Hoedt B. Clinical efficacy of semi-conductor laser application as an adjunct to conventional scaling and root planing. Lasers Surg Med 2005;37:350-5.
- Herascu N, Velciu B, Calin M, Savastru D, Talianu C. Lowlevel laser therapy (LLLT) efficacy in post-operative wounds. Photomed Laser Surg 2005;23:70-3.
- Lopes-Martins RA, Albertini R, Martins PS, Bjordal JM, Faria Neto HC. Spontaneous effects of low-level laser therapy (650 nm) in acute inflammatory mouse pleurisy induced by carrageenan. Photomed Laser Surg 2005;23:377-81.
- Stein A, Benayahu D, Maltz L, Oron U. Low-level laser irradiation promotes proliferation and differentiation of human osteoblasts in vitro. Photomed Laser Surg 2005;23:161-6.
저자의 다른 논문
- NDSL :
- 대한치주과학회 : 저널 > http://jpis.org/search.php?where=aview&id=10.5051/jpis.2010.40.3.105&vmode=AR
- PubMed Central : 저널 > https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2895515
- Synapse : 저널
- KCI :
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기