Leptin potentiates Prevotella intermedia lipopolysaccharide-induced production of TNF-
$\alpha$ in monocyte-derived macrophages
Purpose: In addition to regulating body weight, leptin is also recognized for its role in the regulation of immune function and inflammation. The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of leptin on Prevotella (P.) intermedia lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced tumor necrosis factor (TNF)- $\alpha$ production in differentiated THP-1 cells, a human monocytic cell line. Methods: LPS from P. intermedia ATCC 25611 was prepared by the standard hot phenol-water method. THP-1 cells were incubated in the medium supplemented with phorbol myristate acetate to induce differentiation into macrophage-like cells. The amount of TNF- $\alpha$ and interleukin-8 secreted into the culture medium was determined by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA). TNF- $\alpha$ and Ob-R mRNA expression levels were determined by semi-quantitative reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction analysis. Results: Leptin enhanced P. intermedia LPS-induced TNF- $\alpha$ production in a dose-dependent manner. Leptin modulated P. intermedia LPS-induced TNF- $\alpha$ expression predominantly at the transcriptional level. Effect of leptin on P. intermedia LPS-induced TNF- $\alpha$ production was not mediated by the leptin receptor. Conclusions: The ability of leptin to enhance P. intermedia LPS-induced TNF- $\alpha$ production may be important in the establishment of chronic lesion accompanied by osseous tissue destruction observed in inflammatory periodontal disease.
- Williams RC. Periodontal disease. N Engl J Med 1990;322:373-82.
- Slots J, Bragd L, Wikstrom M, Dahlen G. The occurrence of Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitans, Bacteroides gingivalis and Bacteroides intermedius in destructive periodontal disease in adults. J Clin Periodontol 1986;13:570-7.
- Chung CP, Nisengard RJ, Slots J, Genco RJ. Bacterial IgG and IgM antibody titers in acute necrotizing ulcerative gingivitis. J Periodontol 1983;54:557-62.
- Kornman KS, Loesche WJ. The subgingival microbial flora during pregnancy. J Periodontal Res 1980;15:111-22.
- Morrison DC, Ryan JL. Endotoxins and disease mechanisms. Annu Rev Med 1987;38:417-32.
- Zhang Y, Proenca R, Maffei M, Barone M, Leopold L, Friedman JM. Positional cloning of the mouse obese gene and its human homologue. Nature 1994;372:425-32.
- Maffei M, Fei H, Lee GH, Dani C, Leroy P, Zhang Y, et al. Increased expression in adipocytes of ob RNA in mice with lesions of the hypothalamus and with mutations at the db locus. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1995;92:6957-60.
- Flier JS. The adipocyte: storage depot or node on the energy information superhighway? Cell 1995;80:15-8.
- Bouloumie A, Drexler HC, Lafontan M, Busse R. Leptin, the product of Ob gene, promotes angiogenesis. Circ Res 1998;83:1059-66.
- Martin-Romero C, Santos-Alvarez J, Goberna R, Sanchez-Margalet V. Human leptin enhances activation and proliferation of human circulating T lymphocytes. Cell Immunol 2000;199:15-24.
- Lord GM, Matarese G, Howard JK, Baker RJ, Bloom SR, Lechler RI. Leptin modulates the T-cell immune response and reverses starvation-induced immunosuppression. Nature 1998;394:897-901.
- Janik JE, Curti BD, Considine RV, Rager HC, Powers GC, Alvord WG, et al. Interleukin 1 alpha increases serum leptin concentrations in humans. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1997;82:3084-6.
- Sanchez-Margalet V, Martin-Romero C. Human leptin signaling in human peripheral blood mononuclear cells: activation of the JAK-STAT pathway. Cell Immunol 2001;211:30-6.
- Halaas JL, Friedman JM. Leptin and its receptor. J Endocrinol 1997;155:215-6.
- Hill RA, Margetic S, Pegg GG, Gazzola C. Leptin: its pharmacokinetics and tissue distribution. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 1998;22:765-70.
- Breidert M, Miehlke S, Glasow A, Orban Z, Stolte M, Ehninger G, et al. Leptin and its receptor in normal human gastric mucosa and in Helicobacter pylori-associated gastritis. Scand J Gastroenterol 1999;34:954-61.
- Groschl M, Rauh M, Wagner R, Neuhuber W, Metzler M, Tamguney G, et al. Identification of leptin in human saliva. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2001;86:5234-9.
- Westphal O, Jann K. Bacterial lipopolysaccharides: extraction with phenol-water and further applications of the procedure. In: Whistler RL, editor. Methods in carbohydrate chemistry. Vol. 5, General polysaccharides. New York: Academic Press; 1965. p.83-91.
- Birkedal-Hansen H. Role of cytokines and inflammatory mediators in tissue destruction. J Periodontal Res 1993;28:500-10.
- Stoufi ED, Taubman MA, Ebersole JL, Smith DJ, Stashenko PP. Phenotypic analyses of mononuclear cells recovered from healthy and diseased human periodontal tissues. J Clin Immunol 1987;7:235-45.
- Arnalich F, Lopez J, Codoceo R, Jim nez M, Madero R, Montiel C. Relationship of plasma leptin to plasma cytokines and human survivalin sepsis and septic shock. J Infect Dis 1999;180:908-11.
- Finck BN, Johnson RW. Tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha induces leptin production through the p55 TNF receptor. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 2000;278:R537-43.
- Faggioni R, Fantuzzi G, Fuller J, Dinarello CA, Feingold KR, Grunfeld C. IL-1 beta mediates leptin induction during inflammation. Am J Physiol 1998;274:R204-8.
- Ahima RS, Flier JS. Leptin. Annu Rev Physiol 2000;62:413-37.
- Karthikeyan BV, Pradeep AR. Gingival crevicular fluid and serum leptin: their relationship to periodontal health and disease. J Clin Periodontol 2007;34:467-72.
- Karthikeyan BV, Pradeep AR. Leptin levels in gingival crevicular fluid in periodontal health and disease. J Periodontal Res 2007;42:300-4.
- Rossomando EF, Kennedy JE, Hadjimichael J. Tumour necrosis factor alpha in gingival crevicular fluid as a possible indicator of periodontal disease in humans. Arch Oral Biol 1990;35:431-4.
- Stashenko P, Jandinski JJ, Fujiyoshi P, Rynar J, Socransky SS. Tissue levels of bone resorptive cytokines in periodontal disease. J Periodontol 1991;62:504-9.
- Abu-Amer Y, Ross FP, Edwards J, Teitelbaum SL. Lipopolysaccharide-stimulated osteoclastogenesis is mediated by tumor necrosis factor via its P55 receptor. J Clin Invest 1997;100:1557-65.
- Assuma R, Oates T, Cochran D, Amar S, Graves DT. IL-1 and TNF antagonists inhibit the inflammatory response and bone loss in experimental periodontitis. J Immunol 1998;160:403-9.
- Masuzaki H, Ogawa Y, Sagawa N, Hosoda K, Matsumoto T, Mise H, et al. Nonadipose tissue production of leptin: leptin as a novel placenta-derived hormone in humans. Nat Med 1997;3:1029-33.
- Markwell MA, Haas SM, Bieber LL, Tolbert NE. A modification of the Lowry procedure to simplify protein determination in membrane and lipoprotein samples. Anal Biochem 1978;87:206-10.
- Johnson RB, Serio FG. Leptin within healthy and diseased human gingiva. J Periodontol 2001;72:1254-7.
- Kobayashi K, Takahashi N, Jimi E, Udagawa N, Takami M, Kotake S, et al. Tumor necrosis factor alpha stimulates osteoclast differentiation by a mechanism independent of the ODF/RANKL-RANK interaction. J Exp Med 2000;191:275-86.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (2)
- 2010. "" Safety and health at work : SH@W, 1(1): 69~79
- 2013. "" International journal of oral biology : official journal of the Korean Academy of Oral Biology and the UCLA Dental Research Institute, 38(2): 73~80
- NDSL :
- 대한치주과학회 : 저널 > http://jpis.org/search.php?where=aview&id=10.5051/jpis.2010.40.3.119&vmode=AR
- PubMed Central : 저널 > https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2895517
- Synapse : 저널
- KCI :
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기