Bone regeneration effects of human allogenous bone substitutes: a preliminary study
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to compare the bone regeneration effects of cortical, cancellous, and cortico-cancellous human bone substitutes on calvarial defects of rabbits. Methods: Four 8-mm diameter calvarial defects were created in each of nine New Zealand white rabbits. Freeze-dried cortical bone, freeze-dried cortico-cancellous bone, and demineralized bone matrix with freeze-dried cancellous bone were inserted into the defects, while the non-grafted defect was regarded as the control. After 4, 8, and 12 weeks of healing, the experimental animals were euthanized for specimen preparation. Micro-computed tomography (micro-CT) was performed to calculate the percent bone volume. After histological evaluation, histomorphometric analysis was performed to quantify new bone formation. Results: In micro-CT evaluation, freeze-dried cortico-cancellous human bone showed the highest percent bone volume value among the experimental groups at week 4. At week 8 and week 12, freeze-dried cortical human bone showed the highest percent bone volume value among the experimental groups. In histologic evaluation, at week 4, freeze-dried cortico-cancellous human bone showed more prominent osteoid tissue than any other group. New bone formation was increased in all of the experimental groups at week 8 and 12. Histomorphometric data showed that freeze-dried cortico-cancellous human bone showed a significantly higher new bone formation percentile value than any other experimental group at week 4. At week 8, freeze-dried cortical human bone showed the highest value, of which a significant difference existed between freeze-dried cortical human bone and demineralized bone matrix with freeze-dried cancellous human bone. At week 12, there were no significant differences among the experimental groups. Conclusions: Freeze-dried cortico-cancellous human bone showed swift new bone formation at the 4-week healing phase, whereas there was less difference in new bone formation among the experimental groups in the following healing phases.
- Helm GA, Dayoub H, Jane JA Jr. Bone graft substitutes for the promotion of spinal arthrodesis. Neurosurg Focus 2001;10:E4.
- Giannoudis PV, Dinopoulos H, Tsiridis E. Bone substitutes: an update. Injury 2005;36 Suppl 3:S20-7.
- Urist MR. Bone: formation by autoinduction. Science 1965;150:893-9.
- Misch CE, Dietsh F. Bone-grafting materials in implant dentistry. Implant Dent 1993;2:158-67.
- Mellonig JT, Bowers GM, Bailey RC. Comparison of bone graft materials. Part I. New bone formation with autografts and allografts determined by Strontium-85. J Periodontol 1981;52:291-6.
- Mellonig JT, Bowers GM, Cotton WR. Comparison of bone graft materials. Part II. New bone formation with autografts and allografts: a histological evaluation. J Periodontol 1981;52:297-302.
- Piattelli A, Scarano A, Corigliano M, Piattelli M. Comparison of bone regeneration with the use of mineralized and demineralized freeze-dried bone allografts: a histological and histochemical study in man. Biomaterials 1996;17:1127-31.
- Rummelhart JM, Mellonig JT, Gray JL, Towle HJ. A comparison of freeze-dried bone allograft and demineralized freeze-dried bone allograft in human periodontal osseous defects. J Periodontol 1989;60:655-63.
- Mellonig JT, Bowers GM, Bright RW, Lawrence JJ. Clinical evaluation of freeze-dried bone allografts in periodontal osseous defects. J Periodontol 1976;47:125-31.
- Cammack GV 2nd, Nevins M, Clem DS 3rd, Hatch JP, Mellonig JT. Histologic evaluation of mineralized and demineralized freeze-dried bone allograft for ridge and sinus augmentations. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent 2005;25:231-7.
- Cornell CN. Osteobiologics. Bull Hosp Jt Dis 2004;62:13-7.
- Behairy Y, Jasty M. Bone grafts and bone substitutes in hip and knee surgery. Orthop Clin North Am 1999;30:661-71.
- Goldberg VM, Stevenson S. Natural history of autografts and allografts. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1987:7-16.
- Ludwig SC, Boden SD. Osteoinductive bone graft substitutes for spinal fusion: a basic science summary. Orthop Clin North Am 1999;30:635-45.
- Schreurs BW, Slooff TJ, Buma P, Gardeniers JW, Huiskes R. Acetabular reconstruction with impacted morsellised cancellous bone graft and cement. A 10- to 15-year follow-up of 60 revision arthroplasties. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1998;80:391-5.
- Pietrzak WS, Woodell-May J, McDonald N. Assay of bone morphogenetic protein-2, -4, and -7 in human demineralized bone matrix. J Craniofac Surg 2006;17:84-90.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (1)
- Park, Yong-Tae ; Kwon, Kwang-Jun ; Park, Young-Wook ; Kim, Seong-Gon ; Kim, Chan-Woo ; Jo, You-Young ; Kweon, Hae-Yong ; Kang, Seok-Woo 2011. "The Effect of Silk Fibroin/Nano-hydroxyapatite/Corn Starch Composite Porous Scaffold on Bone Regeneration in the Rabbit Calvarial Defect Model" 대한악안면성형재건외과학회지 = The journal of Korean association of maxillogacial plastic and reconstructive surgeons, 33(6): 459~466
저자의 다른 논문
- 2008 "고분자 기반 코팅형 상아질 지각 과민 처치제의 효과에 대한 비교 연구" 大韓齒科醫師協會誌 = The journal of the Korean dental association 46 (11): 683~688
- 2009 "유도장치가 부가된 진동회전방식 전동칫솔의 구강건강증진효과에 대한 조사연구" 대한치주과학회지 = The journal of Korean academy of periodontology 39 (4): 407~412
- 2010 "Socket preservation using deproteinized horse-derived bone mineral" Journal of periodontal & implant science 40 (5): 227~231
- 2010 "Biological effects of a porcine-derived collagen membrane on intrabony defects" Journal of periodontal & implant science 40 (5): 232~238
- 2010 "Clinical case report of a Coronally Advanced Flap Procedure in Multiple Gingival Recession Defects" Journal of the Korean Academy of Esthetic Dentistry = 대한심미치과학회지 19 (1): 12~16
- 2010 "치은 착색의 심미적 치료" Journal of the Korean Academy of Esthetic Dentistry = 대한심미치과학회지 19 (1): 17~21
- 2010 "Biological effects of a semiconductor diode laser on human periodontal ligament fibroblasts" Journal of periodontal & implant science 40 (3): 105~110
- 2011 "Response of osteoblast-like cells cultured on zirconia to bone morphogenetic protein-2" Journal of periodontal & implant science 41 (5): 227~233
- 2013 "Evaluation of the correlation between insertion torque and primary stability of dental implants using a block bone test" Journal of periodontal & implant science 43 (1): 30~36
- 2013 "Effect of microthreads on removal torque and bone-to-implant contact: an experimental study in miniature pigs" Journal of periodontal & implant science 43 (1): 41~46
- NDSL :
- 대한치주과학회 : 저널 > http://jpis.org/search.php?where=aview&id=10.5051/jpis.2010.40.3.132&vmode=AR
- Synapse : 저널
- PubMed Central : 저널
- KCI :
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기