Detection of Plasmodium vivax by Nested PCR and Real-Time PCR
Malaria is endemic in the Cukurova region while it is sporadic in other regions of Turkey. Therefore, the laboratory and clinical diagnosis of malaria is important for the treatment of malaria. In this study, 92 blood samples that were taken from the suspected malaria patients for routine diagnosis in a period of 10 years between 1999 and 2009 were analyzed. All of these blood samples were examined by microscopic examinations using Giemsa-stained thick blood films, nested PCR, and real-time PCR. The sensitivity-specificity and positive-negative predictive values for these diagnostic tests were then calculated. It was found that the positive predictive values of microscopic examination of thick blood films, nested PCR, and real-time PCR were 47.8%, 56.5%, and 60.9% for malaria, respectively. The real-time PCR was found to have a specificity of 75% and sensitivity of 100%, while specificity and sensitivity of nested PCR was found 81.2% and 97.7% according to the microscopic examination of thick blood films, respectively.
- Aslan G, Seyrek A, Kocagoz T, Ulukanligil M, Erguven S, Gunalp A. The diagnosis of malaria and identification of Plasmodium species by polymerase chain reaction in Turkey. Parasitology Int 2007; 56: 217-220.
- Zeyrek YF, Kurcer MA, Zeyrek D, Simsek Z. Parasite density and serum cytokine levels in Plasmodium vivax malaria in Turkey. Parasite Immunol 2006; 28: 201-207.
- Sundar S, Rai M. Laboratory diagnosis of visceral leishmaniasis. Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 2002; 9: 951-958.
- Farcas GA, Soeller R, Zhong K, Zahirieh A, Kain KC. Real-time polymerase chain reaction assay for the rapid detection and characterization of chloroquine-resistant Plasmodium falciparum malaria in returned travelers. Clin Infect Dis 2006; 42: 622-627.
- Schneider P, Wolters L, Schoone G, Schallig H, Sillekens P, Hermsen R, Sauerwein R. Real-time nucleic acid sequence-based amplification is more convenient than real-time PCR for quantification of Plasmodium falciparum. J Clin Microbiol 2005; 43: 402-405.
- Veron V, Simon S, Carme B. Multiplex real-time PCR detection of Plasmodium falciparum, P. vivax and P. malariae in human blood samples. Exp Parasitol 2009; 121: 346-351.
- Snounou G, Viriyakosol S, Zhu XP, Jarra W, Pinheiro L, do Rosario VE, Thaithong S, Brown KN. High sensitivity of detection of human malaria parasites by the use of nested polymerase chain reaction. Mol Biochem Parasitol 1993; 61: 315-320.
- Gama BE, Silva-Pires Fdo E, Lopes MN, Cardoso MA, Britto C, Torres KL, de Mendonca Lima L, de Souza JM, Daniel-Ribeiro CT, Ferreira-da-Cruz Mde F. Real-time PCR versus conventional PCR for malaria parasite detection in low-grade parasitemia. Exp Parasitol 2007; 116: 427-432.
- McKenzie FE, Sirichaisinthop J, Miller RS, Gasser RA Jr, Wongsrichanalai C. Dependence of malaria detection and species diagnosis by microscopy on parasite density. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2003; 69: 372-376.
- Safeukui I, Millet P, Boucher S, Melinard L, Fregeville F, Receveur MC, Pistone T, Fialon P, Vincendeau P, Fleury H, Malvy D. Evaluation of FRET real-time PCR assay for rapid detection and differentiation of Plasmodium species in returning travelers and migrants. Malar J 2008; 7: 70.
- Andrews L, Andersen RF, Webster D, Dunachie S, Walther RM, Bejon P, Hunt-Cooke A, Bergson G, Sanderson F, Hill AV, Gilbert SC. Quantitative real-time polymerase chain reaction for malaria diagnosis and its use in malaria vaccine clinical trials. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2005; 73: 191-198.
- Elsayed S, Plewes K, Church D, Chow B, Zhang K. Use of molecular beacon probes for real-time PCR detection of Plasmodium falciparum and other Plasmodium species in peripheral blood specimens. J Clin Microbiol 2006; 44: 622-624.
- Vo TK, Bigot P, Gazin P, Sinou V, De Pina JJ, Huynh DC, Fumoux F, Parzy D. Evaluation of a real-time PCR assay for malaria diagnosis in patients from Vietnam and in returned travelers. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 2007; 101: 422-428.
- Farcas GA, Zhong KJ, Mazzulli T, Kain KC. Evaluation of the Real-Art Malaria LC real-time PCR assay for malaria diagnosis. J Clin Microbiol 2004; 42: 636-638.
- Gurukumar KR, Priyadarshini D, Patil JA, Bhagat A, Singh A, Shah PS, Cecilia D. Development of real-time PCR for detection and quantitation of dengue viruses. Virol J 2009; 6: 10.
- Cropley IM, Lockwood DN, Mack D, Pasvol G, Davidson RN. Rapid diagnosis of falciparum malaria by using the ParaSight F test in travellers returning to the United Kingdom: prospective study. Br Med J 2000; 321: 484-485.
- Mills CD, Burgess DC, Taylor HJ, Kain KC. Evaluation of a rapid and inexpensive dipstick assay for the diagnosis of Plasmodium falciparum malaria. Bull World Health Organ 1999; 77: 553-559.
- Lee MA, Tan CH, Aw LT, Tang CS, Singh M, Lee SH, Chia HP, Yap EP. Real time fluorescence-based PCR for detection of malaria parasites. J Clin Microbiol 2002; 40: 4343-4345.
- Mangold KA, Manson RU, Koay ES, Stephens L, Regner M, Thomson RB Jr, Peterson LR, Kaul KL. Real-time PCR for detection and identification of Plasmodium spp. J Clin Microbiol 2005; 43: 2435-2440.
- Boonma P, Christensen PR, Suwanarusk R, Price RN, Russell B, Lek-Uthai U. Comparison of three molecular methods for the detection and speciation of Plasmodium vivax and Plasmodium falciparum. Malar J 2007; 6: 124.
- Perandin F, Manca N, Calderaro A, Piccolo G, Galati L, Ricci L, Medici MC, Arcangeletti MC, Snounou G, Dettori G, Chezzi C. Development of a real-time PCR assay for detection of Plasmodium falciparum, Plasmodium vivax, and Plasmodium ovale for routine clinical diagnosis. J Clin Microbiol 2004; 42: 1214-1219.
- Alker AP, Mwapasa V, Meshnick SR. Rapid real-time PCR genotyping of mutations associated with sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine resistance in Plasmodium falciparum. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2004; 48: 2924-2929.
- Keen J, Farcas GA, Zhong K, Yohanna S, Dunne MW, Kain KC. Real-time PCR assay for rapid detection and analysis of PfCRT haplotypes of chloroquine-resistant Plasmodium falciparum isolates from India. J Clin Microbiol 2007; 45: 2889-2893.
- DBPia : 저널
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기