Infection Status of Hospitalized Diarrheal Patients with Gastrointestinal Protozoa, Bacteria, and Viruses in the Republic of Korea
To understand protozoan, viral, and bacterial infections in diarrheal patients, we analyzed positivity and mixedinfection status with 3 protozoans, 4 viruses, and 10 bacteria in hospitalized diarrheal patients during 2004-2006 in the Republic of Korea. A total of 76,652 stool samples were collected from 96 hospitals across the nation. The positivity for protozoa, viruses, and bacteria was 129, 1,759, and 1,797 per 10,000 persons, respectively. Especially, Cryptosporidium parvum was highly mixed-infected with rotavirus among pediatric diarrheal patients (29.5 per 100 C. parvum positive cases), and Entamoeba histolytica was mixed-infected with Clostridium perfringens (10.3 per 100 E. histolytica positive cases) in protozoan-diarrheal patients. Those infected with rotavirus and C. perfringens constituted relatively high proportions among mixed infection cases from January to April. The positivity for rotavirus among viral infection for those aged $\leq$ 5 years was significantly higher, while C. perfringens among bacterial infection was higher for $\geq$ 50 years. The information for association of viral and bacterial infections with enteropathogenic protozoa in diarrheal patients may contribute to improvement of care for diarrhea as well as development of control strategies for diarrheal diseases in Korea.
- Zimmerman CM, Bresee JS, Parashar UD, Riggs TL, Holman RC, Glass RI. Cost of diarrhea-associated hospitalizations and outpatient visits in an insured population of young children in the United States. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2001; 20: 14-19.
- Herikstad H, Yang S, Van Gilder TJ, Vugia D, Hadler J, Blake P, Deneen V, Shiferaw B, Angulo FJ. A population-based estimate of the burden of diarrhoeal illness in the United States: FoodNet, 1996-7. Epidemiol Infect 2002; 129: 9-17.
- Thapar N, Sanderson IR. Diarrhoea in children: an interface between developing and developed countries. Lancet 2004; 363:641-653.
- World Health Organization. Table 2. Cause-specific mortality and morbidity. http://www.who.int/whosis/whostat/2009/en/index.html. WHO 2009; 47-57.
- Olsen SJ, MacKinnon LC, Goulding JS, Bean NH, Slutsker L. Surveillance for foodborne-disease outbreaks--United States, 1993-1997. MMWR CDC Surveill Summ 2000; 49: 1-62.
- Lee SH, Levy DA, Craun GF, Beach MJ, Calderon RL. Surveillance for waterborne-disease outbreaks--United States, 1999-2000. MMWR Surveill Summ 2002; 51: 1-47.
- Smith A, Reacher M, Smerdon W, Adak GK, Nichols G, Chalmers RM. Outbreaks of waterborne infectious intestinal disease in England and Wales, 1992-2003. Epidemiol Infect 2006; 134: 1141-1149.
- Kurugol Z, Geylani S, Karaca Y, Umay F, Erensoy S, Vardar F, Bak M, Yaprak I, Ozkinay F, Ozkinay C. Rotavirus gastroenteritis among children under five years of age in Izmir, Turkey. Turk J Pediatr 2003; 45: 290-294.
- Parashar UD, Gibson CJ, Bresee JS, Glass RI. Rotavirus and severe childhood diarrhea. Emerg Infect Dis 2006; 12: 304-306.
- Kim SH, Cheon DS, Kim JH, Lee DH, Jheong WH, Heo YJ, Chung HM, Jee Y, Lee JS. Outbreaks of gastroenteritis that occurred during school excursions in Korea were associated with several waterborne strains of norovirus. J Clin Microbiol 2005; 43: 4836-4839.
- Kang JO, Kilgore P, Kim JS, Nyambat B, Kim J, Suh HS, Yoon Y, Jang S, Chang C, Choi S, Kim MN, Gentsch J, Bresee J, Glass R. Molecular epidemiological profile of rotavirus in South Korea, July 2002 through June 2003: emergence of G4P(6) and G9P(8) strains. J Infect Dis 2005; 192: S57-63.
- Fayer R, Morgan U, Upton SJ. Epidemiology of Cryptosporidium; transmission, detection and identification. Int J Parasitol 2000; 30: 1305-1322.
- Messner MJ, Chappell CL, Okhuysen PC. Risk assesment for Cryptosporidium; a hierarchical Bayesian analysis of human dose response data. Water Res 2001; 35: 3934-3940.
- Karp CL, Auwaeter PG. Coinfection with HIV and tropical infectious diseases. I. Protozoal pathogens. Clin Infect Dis 2007; 45:1208-1213.
- Bern C, Martines J, de Zoysa I, Glass RI. The magnitude of the global problem of diarrhoeal disease: a ten-year update. Bull World Health Organ 1992; 70: 705-714.
- Parashar UD, Hummelman EG, Bresee JS, Miller MA, Glass RI. Global illness and deaths caused by rotavirus disease in children. Emerg Infect Dis 2003; 9: 565-572.
- Korea Food & Drug Administration. Outbreak Food Poisoning. http://fm.kfda.go.kr/2007 (Korean). (Accessed March 8, 2007).
- Kim C, Park S, Lee D, Kwak Y, Kang Y, Park Y, Yoon S, Jwa S, Moon J. Studies on the risk assessment and management of foodborne microoganisms. Annual Report of Korea Food & Drug Administration 2000; 4: 655-656.
- Lim SH, Koe YS, Jo DS, Lee SJ, Hwang PH, Kilgore P, Nyhambat B, Kim JS. Pediatrician perspectives on the evaluation and treatment of acute gastrointestinal infections, Jeonbuk, South Korea, 2002. J Korean Pediatr Soc 2003; 46: 1217-1223 (in Korean).
- Inglis GD, Johnson DI, Cheng K J, Goettel MS. Use of pathogen combinations to overcome the constraints of temperature on entomopathogenic hyphomycetes againt grasshoppers. Biol Control 1997; 8: 143-152.
- Read AF, Taylor LH. The ecology of genetically diverse infections. Science 2001; 292: 1099-1102.
- Hughes WO, Petersen KS, Ugelvig LV, Pedersen D, Thomsen L, Poulsen M, Boomsma JJ. Density-dependence and within-host competition in a semelparous parasite of leaf-cutting ants. BMC Evol Biol 2004; 4: 45.
- Vignuzzi M, Stone JK, Arnold JJ, Cameron CE, Andino R. Quasispecies diversity determines pathogensis through cooperative interactions in a viral population. Nature 2006; 439: 344-348.
- Hedberg Nyqvist K, Ewald U. Infant and maternal factors in the development of breastfeeding behaviour and breastfeeding outcome in preterm infants. Acta Paediatr 1999; 88: 1194-1203.
- Qiao H, Nilsson M, Abreu ER, Hedlund KO, Johansen K, Zaori G, Svensson L. Viral diarrhea in children in Beijing, China. J Med Virol 1999; 57: 390-396.
- Current WL, Reese NC, Ernst JV, Bailey WS, Heyman MB, Weinstein WM. Human cryptosporidiosis in immunocompetent and immunodeficient persons. Studies of an outbreak and experimental transmission. N Engl J Med 1983; 308: 1252-1257.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (2)
- Lee, Mok-Young ; Park, Sang-Jung ; Cho, Eun-Joo ; Park, Su-Jeong ; Han, Sun-Hee ; Kwon, Oh-Sang 2013. "Health Risk Assessment of Cryptosporidium in Tap Water in Korea" 韓國環境保健學會誌 = Journal of environmental health sciences, 39(1): 32~42
- Baek, Kang-Hyun ; Lee, Hyun-Kyoung ; Lee, Kyung-Hyun ; Kim, Ha-Young ; Park, Jung-Won ; Lee, Bo-Ram ; Her, Ji-Woong ; Lee, Myoung-Heon ; Bae, You-Chan 2014. "Fatal cryptosporidiosis in a calf" 大韓獸醫學會誌 = Korean journal of veterinary research, 54(4): 257~260
- DBPia : 저널
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기