Parents' Knowledge about Enterobiasis Might Be One of the Most Important Risk Factors for Enterobiasis in Children
To know the prevalence of Enterobius vermicularis infection and what are the most important risk factors, we evaluated the incidence and risk factors of enterobiasis among children attended in kindergartens in Busan metropolitan city, Republic of Korea. A total of 1,674 children from 21 kindergartens in 11 of 16 autonomous districts of Busan were evaluated for E. vermicularis infection by the cellotape anal swab technique. The overall egg-positive rate for E. vermicularis was 10.7% (179/1,674), and the prevalence of enterobiasis in each kindergarten ranged between 0% and 32.4%. There was an increasing tendency of the egg positive rate according to the population density; the higher the population density communities had, the higher egg-positive rate for E. vermicularis was detected (P = 0.001). Among personal hygiene factors involving children, thumb-sucking (P = 0.036) and fingernail-trimming (P = 0.024) were highly associated with enterobiasis. In addition, taking anthelmintic medications against E. vermicularis infection was strongly associated with enterobiasis (P = 0.014). Moreover, parents' knowledge of enterobiasis was correlated significantly with the incidence of enterobiasis of their children (P = 0.006). In conclusion, we need to consider not only personal hygiene but also parents' knowledge about enterobiasis as a factor in order to develop new strategies for elimination or to complete reduction of enterobiasis in Korea.
- Hopkins DR. Homing in on helminths. Am J Trop Med Hyg 1992;46: 626-634.
- McDonald GS, Hourihane DO. Ectopic Enterobius vermicularis. Gut 1972; 13: 621-626.
- Chung DI, Kong HH, Yu HS, Kim J, Cho CR. Live female Enterobius vermicularis in the posterior fornix of the vagina of a Korean woman. Korean J Parasitol 1997; 35: 67-69.
- Deshpande AD. Enterobius vermicularis live adult worms in the high vagina. Postgrad Med J 1992; 68: 690-691.
- Kang S, Jeon HK, Eom KS, Park JK. Egg positive rate of Enterobius vermicularis among preschool children in Cheongju, Chungcheongbuk-do, Korea. Korean J Parasitol 2006; 44: 247-249.
- Park JH, Han ET, Kim WH, Shin EH, Guk SM, Kim JL, Chai JY. A survey of Enterobius vermicularis infection among children on western and southern coastal islands of the Republic of Korea. Korean J Parasitol 2005; 43: 129-134.
- Song HJ, Cho CH, Kim JS, Choi MH, Hong ST. Prevalence and risk factors for enterobiasis among preschool children in a metropolitan city in Korea. Parasitol Res 2003; 91: 46-50.
- Kim BJ, Lee BY, Chung HK, Lee YS, Lee KH, Chung HJ, Ock MS. Egg positive rate of Enterobius vermicularis of primary school children in Geoje island. Korean J Parasitol 2003; 41: 75-77.
- Sung JF, Lin RS, Huang KC, Wang SY, Lu YJ. Pinworm control and risk factors of pinworm infection among primary-school children in Taiwan. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2001; 65: 558-562.
- Cho SY, Ahn YR, Ryang YS, Seo BS. Evaluation of anthelmintic treatment of Enterobius vermicularis infection in highly endemic population by prolonged observation. Korean J Parasitol 1977;15: 100-108.
- Cho SY, Kang SY, Kim SI, Song CY. Effect of anthelmintics on the early stage of Enterobius vermicularis. Korean J Parasitol 1985; 23:7-17.
- Cook GC. Enterobius vermicularis infection. Gut 1994; 35: 1159-1162.
- Norhayati M, Hayati MI, Oothuman P, Azizi O, Fatmah MS, Ismail G, Minudin YM. Enterobius vermicularis infection among children aged 1-8 years in a rural area in Malaysia. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 1994; 25: 494-497.
- Kim BJ, Yeon JW, Ock MS. Infection rates of Enterobius vermicularis and Clonorchis sinensis of primary school children in Hamyang-gun, Gyeongsangnam-do (province), Korea. Korean J Parasitol 2001; 39: 323-325.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (1)
- Kim, Dong-Hee ; Park, Jung-Ha 2016. "Survey of Parents and Kindergarten Teachers on their Educational Needs Regarding the Prevention of Infectious Diseases in Children" 보건의료산업학회지 = The Korean journal of health service management, 10(4): 213~223
- DBPia : 저널
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기