Enzymatic Activities of Allergen Extracts from Three Species of Dust Mites and Cockroaches Commonly Found in Korean Home
Allergen extracts from dust mites and cockroaches commonly found in Korean homes were used to evaluate their enzymatic activity as they are believed to influence allergenicity. Allergen extracts were prepared from 3 dust mite species (Dermatophagoides farinae, D. pteronyssinus, and Tyrophagus putrescentiae) and 3 cockroach species (Blattella germanica, Periplaneta americana, and P. fuliginosa) maintained in the Korea National Arthropods of Medical Importance Resource Bank. Proteins were extracted in PBS after homogenization using liquid nitrogen. The activities of various enzymes were investigated using the API Zym system. No significant difference in phosphatase, lipase, or glycosidase activity was observed among the 6 allergen extracts, but much difference was observed in protease activity. Protease activity was assessed in more detail by gelatin zymography and the EnzChek assay. Extract from T. putrescentiae showed the highest protease activity, followed by those of the cockroach extracts. Extracts from D. farinae and D. pteronyssinus showed only weak protease activity. Gelatinolytic activity was detected mainly in a 30-kDa protein in D. farinae, a 28-kDa protein in D. pteronyssinus, a > 26-kDa protein in T. putrescentiae, a > 20-kDa protein in B. germanica, and a > 23-kDa protein in P. americana and P. fuliginosa. The information on various enzymatic activities obtained in this study may be useful for future studies. In particular, the strong protease activity found in cockroach extracts could contribute to sensitization to cockroach allergens, which is known to be associated with the development of asthma.
Dermatophagoides farinae . Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus . Tyrophagus putrescentiae . Blattella germanica . Periplaneta americana . Periplaneta fuliginosa . allergen . protease . cockroach . dust mite.
- Brunetto B, Tinghino R, Braschi MC, Antonicelli L, Pini C, Iacovacci P. Characterization and comparison of commercially available mite extracts for in vivo diagnosis. Allergy 2010; 65: 184-190.
- Jeong KY, Hong CS, Yong TS. Domestic arthropods and their allergens. Protein Pept Lett 2007; 14: 934-942.
- Jeong KY, Lee J, Lee IY, Ree HI, Hong CS, Yong TS. Allergenicity of recombinant Bla g 7, German cockroach tropomyosin. Allergy 2003; 58: 1059-1063.
- Sohn MH, Lee YA, Jeong KY, Sim S, Kim KE, Yong TS, Shin MH. German cockroach extract induces activation of human eosinophils to release cytotoxic inflammatory mediators. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 2004; 134: 141-149.
- Hong JH, Lee SI, Kim KE, Yong TS, Seo JT, Sohn MH, Shin DM. German cockroach extract activates protease-activated receptor 2 in human airway epithelial cells. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2004;113: 315-319.
- Jeong SK, Kim HJ, Youm JK, Ahn SK, Choi EH, Sohn MH, Kim KE, Hong JH, Shin DM, Lee SH. Mite and cockroach allergens activate protease-activated receptor 2 and delay epidermal permeability barrier recovery. J Invest Dermatol 2008; 128: 1930-1939.
- Lee JS, Kim IS, Ryu JS, Yun CY. House dust mite, Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus increases expression of MCP-1, IL-6, and IL-8 in human monocytic THP-1 cells. Cytokine 2008; 42: 365-371.
- Chapman MD, Wunschmann S, Pomes A. Proteases as Th2 adjuvants. Curr Allergy Asthma Rep 2007; 7: 363-367.
- Sudha VT, Srivastava D, Arora N, Gaur SN, Singh BP. Stability of protease-rich Periplaneta americana allergen extract during storage: formulating preservatives to enhance shelf life. J Clin Immunol 2007; 27: 294-301.
- Ree HI, Lee IY, Kim TE, Jeon SH, Hong CS. Mass culture of house dust mites, Dermatophagoides farinae and D. pteronyssinus (Acari: Pyroglyphidae). Med Entomol Zool 1997; 48: 109-116.
- Ree HI, Lee IY. Development of mass rearing technique of Tyrophagus putrescentiae (Acari: Acaridae) found in house dust. Korean J Parasitol 1997; 35: 149-154.
- Clarke AH, Thomas WR, Rolland JM, Dow C, O'Brien RM. Murine allergic respiratory responses to the major house dust mite allergen Der p 1. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 1999; 120: 126-134.
- Kurup VP, Xia JQ, Crameri R, Richaby DA, Choi HY, Fluckiger S, Blaser K, Dawson CA, Kelly KJ. Purified recombinant A. fumigatus allergens induce different responses in mice. Clin Immunol 2001; 98: 327-336.
- Sudha VT, Arora N, Sing h BP. Serine protease activity of Per a 10 augments allergen-induced airway inflammation in mouse model. Eur J Clin Invest 2009; 39: 507-516.
- Kuderer NM, San-Juan-Vergara HG, Kong X, Esch R, Lockey RF, Mohapatra SS. Mite and cockroach proteases activate p44/p42 MAP kinases in human lung epithelial cells. Clin Mol Allergy 2003; 1: 1.
- Thomas WR, Heinrich TK, Smith WA, Hales BJ. Pyroglyphid house dust mite allergens. Protein Pept Lett 2007; 14: 943-953.
- Iraneta SG, Duschak VG, Rodriguez SM, Seoane MA, Albonico JF, Alonso A. Proteinase and gelatinolytic activieis of house dust mite and cockroach extracts. J Invest Allergol Clin Immunol 1999;9: 235-240.
- Ortego F, Sanchez-Ramos I, Ruiz M, Castanera P. Characterization of proteases from a stored product mite, Tyrophagus putrescentiae. Arch Insect Biochem Physiol 2000; 43: 116-124.
- Osterlund C, Gronlund H, Polovic N, Sundstrom S, Gafvelin G, Bucht A. The non-proteolytic house dust mite allergen Der p 2 induces NF-kB and MAPK dependent activation of bronchial epithelial cells. Clin Exp Allergy 2009; 39: 1199-1208.
- Trompette A, Divanovic S, Visintin A, Blanchard C, Hegde RS, Madan R, Thorne PS, Wills-Karp M, Gioannini TL, Weiss JP, Karp CL. Allergenicity resulting from functional mimicry of a Toll-like receptor complex protein. Nature 2009; 457: 585-588.
- Kauffman HF, Tamm M, Timmerman JA, Borger P. House dust mite major allergens Der p 1 and Der p 5 activate human airwayderived epithelial cells by protease-dependent and protease-independent mechanisms. Clin Mol Allergy 2006; 4: 5.
- Peregrine PC. Host dietary changes and the hindgut fauna of cockroaches. Int J Parasitol 1974; 4: 645-656.
- Martinez-Giron R, Ribas A, Astudillo-Gonzalez A. Flagellated protozoa in cockroaches and sputum: the unhygienic connection? Allergy Asthma Proc 2007; 28: 608-609.
- Patterson ML, Slater JE. Characterization and comparison of commercially available German and American cockroach allergen extracts. Clin Exp Allergy 2002; 32: 721-727.
- Lee KE, Kim JW, Jeong KY, Kim KE, Yong TS, Sohn MH. Regulation of German cockroach extract-induced IL-8 expression in human airway epithelial cells. Clin Exp Allergy 2007; 37: 1364-1373.
- Fernandez-Caldas E, Gallego M, Carnes J, Iraola V. Enzymatic activity of Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus extracts after acidic treatment. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 2008; 145: 298-304.
- Schwab CJ, Cooley JD, Brasel T, Jumper CA, Graham SC, Straus DC. Characterization of exposure to low levels of viable Penicillium chrysogenum conidia and allergic sensitization induced by a protease allergen extract from viable P. chrysogenum conidia in mice. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 2003; 130: 200-208.
- Sudha VT, Arora N, Gaur SN, Pasha S, Singh BP. Identification of a serine protease as a major allergen (Per a 10) of Peripleneta americana. Allergy 2008; 63: 768-776.
- Zhang Z, Zhang H, Yang H, Zhang L, Chen X, Zheng X, He S. Induction of T-helper type 2 cytokine release and up-regulated expression of protease-activated receptors on mast cells by recombinant American cockroach allergen Per a 7. Clin Exp Allergy 2008; 38: 1160-1167.
- Cocks TM, Moffatt JD. Protease-activated receptor-2 (PAR2) in the airway. Pulm Pharmacol Ther 2001; 14: 183-191.
- DBPia : 저널
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기