One unusual species, Coilia sp. (Engraulidae, Pisces) from the Yellow Sea
Four specimens of unknown Coilia sp. were collected for the first time from the Yellow Sea in 2008 and compared with Coilia mystus and Coilia nasus. Coilia sp. showed similar morphology to C. mystus and C. nasus, but differed in that its tail was considerably shorter. We conducted an analysis of the morphological and genetic characteristics in an effort to clarify the taxonomic position of Coilia sp. In counts and measurements, Coilia sp. were well distinguished from C. nasus by the number of scutes (42-44 in Coilia sp. vs. 40-45 in C. mystus vs. 45-55 in C. nasus), ratio of dorsal base length to head length (43.4-47.6 vs. 37.9-47.6 vs. 33.0-41.0), and eye length to head length (19.2-20.8 vs. 17.0-22.4 vs. 13.8-18.2). In caudal skeleton of Coilia sp., urostyle, hypural and epural bones were not observed; instead of them, caudal fin rays were supported by the last vertebra, neural and haemal spines' extension. The molecular phylogenetic relationship was analyzed using 414 base-pair 12S rRNA mitochondrial DNA sequences. The Kimura-2-parameter distance between Coilia sp. and C. mystus was 0.3%, but was 1.3% between Coilia sp. and C. nasus. Both the neighbor-joining tree and maximum-likelihood tree showed that Coilia sp. are closely clustered with C. mystus. Therefore, our results suggest that the Coilia sp. may be a deformed fish of C. mystus.
- Jordan DS, Seale A. 1926. Review of the Engraulidae, with descriptions of new and rare species. Bull Mus Comp Zool Harv. 67:353-418.
- Aonuma Y 2002. Engraulidae. In: Nakabo T, editor. Fishes of Japan with pictorial keys to the species. English ed. Tokyo: Tokai University Press. p. 248-250.
- Cheng QQ, Lu DR, Ma L. 2005. Morphological differences between close populations discernible by multivariate analysis: a case study of genus Coilia (Teleostei: Clupeiformes). Aquat Living Resour. 18:187-192.
- Cheng Q, Ma C, Cheng H, Zhang Q. 2008. Mitochondrial DNA diversity of Coilia mystus (Clupeiformes: Engraulidae) in three Chinese estuaries. Environ Biol Fish. 83:277-282.
- Chyung MK. 1977. The fishes of Korea. Seoul: Ilji-Publishing. p. 1-727.
- Fujita K. 1990. The caudal skeleton of teleostean fishes. Tokyo: Tokai University Press. p. 1-897.
- Gray JE. 1830-34. Illustrations of Indian zoology; chiefly selected from the collection of Major-General Hardwicke. 20 parts in 2 vols, 200 pls. London.
- Hall TA. 1999. BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT. Nucl Acids Symp Ser. 41:95-98.
- Hwang UW, Kim W. 1999. Generalproperties and phylogenetic utilities of nuclear ribosomal DNA and mitochondrial DNA commonly used in molecular systematic. Kor J Parasitol. 37:215-228.
- Jones S, Menon PMG. 1952. Observations on the development and systematic of the fishes of the genus Coilia Gray. J Zool Soc India. 4:17-36.
- Jordan DS, Metz CW. 1913. A catalog of the fishes known from the waters of Korea. Mem Carnegie Mus. 6:65.
- Kim IS, Choi Y, Lee CL, Lee YJ, Kim BJ, Kim JH. 2005. Illustrated book of Korean fishes. Seoul: Kyohak-Publishing. p. 1-615.
- Kim JY, Cho ES, Kim WJ. 2004. Population genetic structure of Japanese Anchovy (Engraulis japanicus) in Korean waters based on mitochondrial 12S ribosomal RNA gene sequences. Kor J Life Sci. 14:938-950.
- Kimura M. 1980. A simple method for estimating evolutionary rates of base substitutions through comparative studies of nucleotide sequences. J Mol Evol. 16:111-120.
- Lavoue S, Miya M, Saitoh K, Ishiguro NB, Nishida M. 2007. Phylogenetic relationships among anchovies, sardines, herrings and their relatives (Clupeiformes), inferred from whole mitogenome sequences. Mol Phyl Evol. 43:1096-1105.
- Lee BW, Chung EY, Lee JY. 2003. Histological study on the reproductive cycle of Coilia nasus. J Aquacult. 16:179-186.
- Li C, Orti G. 2007. Molecular phylogeny of Clupeiformes (Actinopterygii) inferred from nuclear and mitochondrial DNA sequences. Mol Phyl Evol. 44:386-398.
- Magoulas A. 2005. Mitochondrial DNA. In: Cadrin SX, Friedland KD, Waldman JR, editors. Stock identification methods. London: Elsevier Academic Press. p, 311-330.
- Menon PMG. 1951. Regeneration of the caudal fin in Coilia retnaldi Cuv. and Val. R Asiat Soc. 16:123-126.
- Mori T. 1952. Checklist of the fishes of Korea. Mem Hyogo Univ Agric Sasayama. 1:1-228.
- Nam YK, Chu SD, Jeong CH, Noh CH. 1997. Genetic stock identification of Common Carp (Cyprinus carpio) by detection of intraspecific DNA sequence variation in the mitochondrial 12S rRNA gene. J Aquacult. 10:403-407.
- Nelson JS. 2006. Fishes of the world. 4th ed. New York: John Wiley. p. 1-600.
- Posada D, Crandall KA. 1998. MODELTEST: testing the model of DNA substitution. Bioinformatics. 14:817-818.
- Scheffler IE. 1999. Mitochondria. New York: John Wiley. p. 1-367.
- Swofford DL. 2002. PAUP 4.0b10a: phylogenetic analysis using parsimony (and other methods). Sunderland: Sinauer Associates. p. 1-140.
- Takita T. 1978. Identification of a species of Coilia (Engraulidae) distributed in Ariake Sound. Japan J Ichthyol. 25:223-226.
- Tamura K, Dudley J, Nei M, Kumar S. 2007, MEGA4: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis (MEGA) software version 4.0. Mol Biol Evol. 24:1596-1599.
- Thompson JD, Higgins DG, Gibson TJ. 1994, CLUSTAL W: improveing the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position-specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucl Acids Res. 22:4673-4680.
- Wang HY, Lee SC. 2002. Secondary structure of mitochondrial 12S rRNA among fish and its phylogenetic applications. Mol Biol Evol. 12:138-148.
- Wang HY, Tsai MP, Dean I, Lee sc 2001. Molecular phylogeny of Gobioid fishes (Perciformes: Gobioidei) based on mitochondrial 12S rRNA sequences. Mol Phyl Evol 20:390-408.
- Whitehead PIP. 1985. FAO species catalogue. Vol. 7. Clupeoid fishes of the world (suborder Clupeoidei). An annotated and illustrated catalogue of the herrings, sardines, pilchards, sprats, shads, anchovies and wolf-herrings. Part 1 - Chirocentridae, Clupeidae and Pristigasteridae. Rome: FAO. p. 1-303.
- Whitehead PJP, Nelson GJ, Wongratana T. 1988. FAO species catalogue. Vol. 7. Clupeoid fishes of the world (suborder Clupeoidei). An annotated and illustrated catalogue of the herrings, sardines, pilchards, sprats, shads, anchovies and wolf-herrings. Part 2 - Engraulididae. Rome: FAO. p. 305-579.
- Wongratana T. 1980. Systematic of clupeoid fishes of the Indo-Pacific region. University of London. p. 1-432 (cited by Whitehead et al. 1988).
- Yamada U, Tokimura M, Hirokawa H, Nakabo T. 2007. Fishes and fisheries of the East China and Yellow Seas. Tokyo: Tokai University Press. p. 1-1262.
- Youn CH. 1996. A study on the systematic and morphology on the Families Engralidae and Clupeidae (Pisces: Clupeiformes) from Korea. Chonbuk National University. p. 1-180.
- Youn CH, Kim IS. 1996. Taxonomic study of the Family Engraulidae (Pisces: Clupeiformes) from Korea. Korean J Ichthyol. 8:33-46.
- Wang CH, Kuo CH, Mok HK, Lee sc 2003, Molecular phylogeny of elopomorph fishes inferred from mitochondrial 12S ribosomal RNA sequences. Zoologica Scripta. 32:231-241.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (3)
- Baeck, Gun-Wook ; Park, Joo-Myun ; Choo, Hyun-Gi ; Huh, Sung-Hoi 2011. "Diet Composition of Coilia nasus in the Coastal Waters off Gori, Korea" Korean journal of Ichthyology = 한국어류학회지, 23(2): 163~167
- Kim, Hyun-Tae ; Kim, Jae-Goo ; Park, Jong-Young 2012. "The Structures of Feeding Organs in Two Korean Ricefishes (Pisces, Adrianichthyidae), Oryzias latipes and O. sinensis" Korean journal of Ichthyology = 한국어류학회지, 24(4): 247~252
- Kwun, Hyuck Joon ; Park, Jinsoon ; Kim, Hye Seon ; Kim, Ju-Hee ; Bae, Hanna 2016. "Occurrence of Small Scale Blackfish Girella leonina (Perciformes: Kyphosidae) Lacking a Caudal Fin" 한국수산과학회지 = Korean journal of fisheries and aquatic sciences, 49(5): 675~677
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기