Piecewise exact solution for seismic mitigation analysis of bridges equipped with sliding-type isolators
Recently, earthquake proof technology has been widely applied to both new and existing structures and bridges. The analysis of bridge systems equipped with structural control devices, which possess large degrees of freedom and nonlinear characteristics, is a result in time-consuming task. Therefore, a piecewise exact solution is proposed in this study to simplify the seismic mitigation analysis process for bridge systems equipped with sliding-type isolators. In this study, the simplified system having two degrees of freedom, to reasonably represent the large number of degrees of freedom of a bridge, and is modeled to obtain a piecewise exact solution for system responses during earthquakes. Simultaneously, we used the nonlinear finite element computer program to analyze the bridge responses and verify the accuracy of the proposed piecewise exact solution for bridge systems equipped with sliding-type isolators. The conclusions derived by comparing the results obtained from the piecewise exact solution and nonlinear finite element analysis reveal that the proposed solution not only simplifies the calculation process but also provides highly accurate seismic responses of isolated bridges under earthquakes.
- Chopra, A.K. (1995), Dynamics of Structures: Theory and Applications to Earthquake Engineering, Prentice-Hall, Inc.
- Constantinou, M.C., Tsopelas, P., Kim, Y.S. and Okamoto, S. (1993), "NCEER-Taisei corporation research program on sliding seismic isolation systems for bridges: experimental and analysis study of a friction pendulum system (FPS)", Technical Report NCEER-93-0020, National Center for Earthquake Engineering Research, State University of New York at Buffalo.
- Fenz, D.M. and Constantinou, M.C. (2006), "Behaviour of the double concave friction pendulum bearing", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 35(11), 1403-1424.
- Kunde, M.C. and Jangid, R.S. (2006), "Effects of pier and deck flexibility on the seismic response of isolated bridges", J. Bridge Eng., 11(1), 109-121.
- Naeim, F. and Kelly, J.M. (1999), Design of Seismic Isolated Structures: From Theory to Practice, John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Tsai, C.S. (1996), "Nonlinear stress analysis techniques-NSAT", Department of Civil Engineering, Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan.
- Tsai, C.S. (2003a), "Improved structures of base isolation systems", Taiwan Patent No. 207126, Publication Number 00542278, Publication Date: July 11, Application Number 091210175, Filing date: July 4, 2002. (in Chinese)
- Tsai, C.S., Chiang, T.C. and Chen, B.J. (2003b), "Shaking table tests of a full scale steel structure isolated with MFPS", Proceedings of the 2003 ASME Pressure Vessels and Piping Conference, Seismic Engineering, Chen, J.C. (Ed.), Cleveland, Ohio.
- Tsai, C.S., Chiang, T.C. and Chen, B.J. (2003c), "Seismic behavior of MFPS isolated structure under near-fault earthquakes and strong ground motions with long pedominant periods", Proceedings of the 2003 ASME Pressure Vessels and Piping Conference, Seismic Engineering, Chen, J.C. (Ed.), Cleveland, Ohio.
- Tsai, C.S., Chen, B.J., Pong, W.S. and Chiang, T.C. (2004), "Interactive behavior of structures with multiple friction pendulum isolation system and unbounded foundations", Adv. Struct. Eng., 7(6), 539-551.
- Tsai, C.S., Chiang, T.C. and Chen, B.J. (2005a), "Experimental evaluation of piecewise exact solution for predicting spherical sliding type isolated structures", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 34(9), 1027-1046.
- Tsai, C.S., Chiang, T.C., Chen, B.J. and Chen, K.C. (2005b), "Piecewise exact solution for analysis of base isolated structure under earthquakes", Struct. Eng. Mech., 19(4).
- Tsai, C.S., Chen, W.S., Chiang, T.C. and Chen, B.J. (2006a), "Component and shaking table tests for full scale multiple friction pendulum system", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 35(13), 1653-1675.
- Tsai, C.S., Lu, P.C. and Chen, W.S. (2006b), "Shaking table tests of a building isolated with trench friction pendulum system", Proceedings of the 2006 ASME Pressure Vessels and Piping Conference, Seismic Engineering, James F. Cory (Ed.), Vancouver, July.
- Tsai, C.S., Chen, W.S., Chiang, T.C., Chen, B.J. and Chen, K.C. (2007), "Piecewise exact solution for a bridge with sliding type isolators under earthquakes", Proceedings of the 2007 ASME Pressure Vessels and Piping Conference, Seismic Engineering, Tom Clark (Ed.), San Antonio, Texas, July.
- Tsai, C.S., Lu, P.C., Chen, W.S., Chiang, T.C., Yang, C.T. and Lin, Y.C. (2008), "Finite element formulation and shaking table tests of direction-optimized friction pendulum system", Eng. Struct., 30(9), 2321-2329.
- Tsopelas, P., Constantinou, M.C., Kim, Y.S. and Okamoto, S. (1996), "Experimental study of FPS system in bridge seismic isolation", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 25(1), 65-78.
- Zayas, V.A., Low S.S. and Mahin, S.A. (1987), "The FPS earthquake resisting system experimental report", EERC Technical Report, UBC/EERC-87/01.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (1)
- 2011. "" Computers & concrete, 8(6): 693~715
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기