Thermal rectification of asymmetrically-defective materials
We conducted numerical simulations of heat conduction in one-dimensional (1D) nonlinear lattices to reveal the mechanism of thermal rectification of asymmetrically-defective materials. A decreased spring constant simulates the defective lattice and the obtained temperature profile suggests a thermal resistance existing at the interface of two linked segments with different spring constants. Our numerical results suggest that the thermal rectification of two-segment system is dependent on the spring constant and temperature gradient. Introducing the estimated phonon band, most of the rectification mechanisms are clearly explained and performance limit as a thermal rectifier is found for the defective/pristine materials.
- M. Terraneo, M. Peyrard and G. Casati, Controlling the Energy Flow in Nonlinear Lattices: A Model for a Thermal Rectifier, Phys. Rev. Lett., 88 (2002) 094302.
- B. Li, L. Wang and G. Casati, Thermal Diode: Rectification of Heat Flux, Phys. Rev. Lett., 93 (2004) 184301.
- B. Li, L. Wang and G. Casati, Negative differential thermal resistance and thermal transistor, Appl. Phys. Lett., 88 (2006) 143501.
- L. Wang and B. Li, Thermal Logic Gates Computation with Phonons, Phys. Rev. Lett., 99 (2007) 177208.
- L. Wang and B. Li, Thermal Memory: A Storage of Phononic Information, Phys. Rev. Lett., 101 (2008) 267203.
- C. W. Chang, D. Okawa, A. Majumdar and A. Zettl, Solid-State Thermal Rectifier, Science, 314 (2006) 1121.
- N. Yang, N. Li, L. Wang and B. Li, Thermal rectification and negative differential thermal resistance in lattices with mass gradient, Phys. Rev., B 76 (2007) 020301(R).
- G. Wu and B. Li, Thermal rectifiers from deformed carbon nanohorns, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter, 20 (2008) 175211.
- N. Yang, G. Zhang and B. Li., Carbon nanocone: A promising thermal rectifier, Appl. Phys. Lett., 93 (2008) 243111.
- K. Takahashi, M. Inoue and Y. Ito, Defective Carbon Nanotube for Use as a Thermal Rectifier, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., 49 (2010) 02BD12.
- A. Hashimoto, K. Suenaga, A. Gloter, K. Urita and S. Iijima, Direct evidence for atomic defects in graphene layers, Nature 430 (2004) 870.
- K. Takahashi, Y. Ito, T. Ikuta, T. Nishiyama, M. Fujii, X. Zhang and A. Huczko, Thermal conductivity of SiC nanowire formed by combustion synthesis, High Temperatures-High Pressures, 37-2 (2008) 119.
- S. Lepri, R. Livi and A. Politi, Heat Conduction in Chains of Nonlinear Oscillators, Phys. Rev. Lett., 78 (1997) 1896.
- S. Lepri, R. Livi and A. Politi, On the anomalous thermal conductivity of one-dimensional lattices, Europhys. Lett., 43 (1998) 271-276.
- S. Lepri, R. Livi and A. Politi, Energy transport in anharmonic lattices close to and far from equilibrium, Physica D, 119 (1998) 140-147.
- S. Nose, Constant Temperature Molecular Dynamics Methods, Progress of Theoretical Phys. Supplement, (1991) No. 103.
K. Aoki and D. Kusnezov, Fermi-Pasta-Ulam
$\beta$Model: Boundary Jumps, Fourier's Law, and Scaling, Phys. Rev. Lett., 86 (2001) 4029-4032.
- S. Lepri, Memory effects and heat transport in one-dimensional insulators , Eur. Phys. J., B 18 (2000) 441-446.
- T. Hatano, Heat conduction in the diatomic Toda lattice revisited, Phys. Rev., E 59 (1999) R1-R4.
- K. Takahashi, Y. Ito, T. Ikuta, X. Zhang and M. Fujii, Experimental and numerical studies on ballistic phonon transport of cup-stacked carbon nanofiber, Physica B: Condensed Matter., 404 (2009) 2431.
- Y. Ito, M. Inoue and K. Takahashi, One-dimensionality of phonon transport in cup-stacked carbon nanofiber, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter., 22 (2010) 065403.
- J.-S. Wang and B. Li, Intriguing Heat Conduction of a Chain with Transverse Motions, Phys. Rev. Lett., 92 (2004) 074302.
- Z. Liu and B. Li, Heat Conduction in a One-Dimensional Harmonic Chain with Three-Dimensional Vibrations, J. Phys. Soc. Jpn., 77 (2008) 074003.
- B. Hu, B. Li and H. Zhao, Heat conduction in one-dimensional chains, Phys. Rev., E 57 (1998) 2992.
- S. Nose, A unified formulation of the constant temperature molecular dynamics methods, J. Chem. Phys., 81 (1984) 511.
- W. G. Hoover, Canonical dynamics: Equilibrium phasespace distributions, Phys. Rev., A 31 (1985) 1695.
- W. C. Swope, H. C. Andersen, P. H. Berems and K. R. Wilson, A computer simulation method for the calculation of equilibrium constants for the formation of physical clusters of molecules: Application to small water clusters, J. Chem. Phys., 76 (1982) 637.
- S. Lepri, R. Livib and A. Politi, Thermal conduction in classical low-dimensional lattices, Phys. Report, 377 (2003) 1-80.
- W. Kim, R. Wang and A. Majumdar, Nanostructuring expands thermal limits, nanotoday, 2-1 (2007) 40.
- J. Lan and B. Li, Vibrational spectra and thermal rectification in three-dimensional anharmonic lattices, Phys. Rev., B 75 (2007) 214302.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기