Dynamic modeling and simulation of electrodynamic tether system in stationkeeping phase
Dynamics is one of the fundamentally important aspects of all space tether research. This paper derives the dynamic equations of electrodynamic tether system (EDT) in stationkeeping phase using Newton's laws. This paper further analyzes the tether system motion rules under electrodynamic drag, gravity induced force, and tether tension. Numerical simulation of electrodynamic tether system in stationkeeping phase is calculated using an approach that combines the central difference method, fourth-order Runge-Kutta method, and predictor-corrector method, among others. The simulation results show that the motion of electrodynamic tether in stationkeeping phase not only contains librations caused by the motion of endmass, but also contains vertical and longitudinal vibrations of tether. If the motion of endmass is ignored, it is much similar to the vibration of cable with two immovable pinned-supports, in which the mid-span has the largest amplitude of vibration. Based on this, the main satellite and the endmass at both ends of tether can be treated as immovable pinned-supports when the tether vibration and tension of electrodynamic tether system in impermanency are investigated.
- R. L. Forward, R. P. Hoyt and C. W. Uphoff, Terminator tether: A spacecraft deorbit device, Journal of spacecraft and rockets, 37 (2) (2000) 187-196.
- K. Sorensen, Conceptual design and analysis of an MXER tether boost station, Proceedings of 37th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE joint propulsion conference and exhibit, AIAA, 2001 [AIAA 2001- 3915].
- K. Sorensen, Momentum exchange electrodynamic reboost tether, Technology assessment group final report, Space propulsion technologies program, July 24, 2003, NASA Marshall Space Flight Center, Huntsville, AL 35812.
- E. V. Irwin, J. K. Thomas and A. S. Ethan. Space station reboost with electrodynamic tethers, Journal of spacecraft and rockets, 37 (2) (2000) 154-164.
- R. D. Estes, J. Sanmarth and M.Martnez-Snchez, Performance of bare-tether systems under varying magnetic and plasma conditions, Journal of spacecraft and rockets, 37 (2) (2000) 177-204.
- C. R. McInnes and M. P. Cartmell, Propellantless propulsion, Modern astrodynamics, vol. 1. Elsevier Astrodynamics Series, Oxford, Amsterdam: Elsevier Academic Press; 2006.
- M. P. Cartmell and D. J. McKenzie, A review of space tether research, Progress in Aerospace Science, 44 (2008) 1-21.
- Carmen Pardini, Toshiya Hanada and Paula H. Krisko, Benefits and risks of using electrodynamic tethers to de-orbit spacecraft, Acta Astronautica, 64 (2009) 571-588.
- G. Bae, E. Sim and J. B. Barlow, Dynamics of a tethered satellite system, Advances in the Astronautical Sciences, 82 (2) (1993) 1297-1310.
- J. V. Breakwell and J. W. Gearhart, Pumping a tethered configuration to boost its orbit around an oblate planet, Journal of the Astronautical Sciences, 35 (1) (1987) 19-39.
- K. K. Mankala and S. K. Agrawal. Equilibrium to equilibrium maneuvers of rigid electrodynamic tethers, Journal of Guidance, Control and Dynamics, 128 (3) (2005) 541-545.
- J. Pelaez, O. Lopez-Rebollal, M. Lara and E. Ahedo, Dynamic stability of a bare tether as a deorbiting device, Advances in the Astronautical Sciences, volume 112 II (2002) 1257-1274.
- K. D. Kumar and T. Yasaka. Rotating formation flying of three satellites using tethers, Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, 41 (6) (2004) 973-985.
- A. K. Banerjee. Dynamics of tethered payloads with deployment rate control, Journal of Guidance, Control and Dynamics, 13 (4) (1990) 759-762.
- M. Greene and D. A. Glawtney. Preliminary investigation of dynamic control of a single tethered satellite system using a tether crawler, Proceedings of the Annual Southeastern Symposium on System Theory, 173-177, Tallahassee, FL, USA, 1989.
- E. Kim and S. R. Vadali. Modeling issues related to retrieval of flexible tethered satellite systems, Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 18 (5) (1995) 1169-1176.
- D. K. Le. Modeling of a tethered two-body system in space, Simulation Series, 16 (2) (1986) 86-97.
- K. K. Mankala and S. K. Agrawal. Dynamic modeling and simulation of satellite tethered systems, Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, 127 (2) (2005) 144-156.
- M. Pasca, M. Pignataro, and A. Luongo. Three-dimensional vibrations of tethered satellite systems, Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 14 (2) (1991) 312-320.
- Kalyan K. Mankala, Satellite Tether System: Dynamic Modeling and Control, Ph.D. dissertation, University of Delaware, Newark, USA, 2006.
- R. L. Forward and R. P. Hoyt, Uphoff C. W., Application of the Terminator tether Electrodynamic Drag Technology to the Deorbit of Constellation Spacecraft, AIAA, 1998-3491, 1-19.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기