A proper orthogonal decomposition for parametric study of the mechanical behavior of nanowires
Molecular dynamics (MD) simulation is frequently used in exploring the mechanical behaviors of nanowires, which have strong dependency on parameters such as size, strain-rate, temperature, and so on. However, the MD simulations require heavy computation power. For efficient parametric study on the mechanical behaviors, the use of a snapshot-based proper orthogonal decomposition (POD) is proposed. Per-atom virial stress and atom arrangement, which are chosen as the snapshots in this study, are expressed by the linear combinations of POD basis. As a next step, the moving least square method approximates the corresponding POD coefficients. The mechanical behaviors are then predicted by these POD expressions in the parametric ranges of interest. It is demonstrated from the parametric study that the proposed method not only obtains the snapshots but also predicts the abrupt drop-down of stress at the onset of inelastic deformation more efficiently than the original tedious repeated MD simulations.
- S. P. Cuenot, C. Fre'tigny, S. Demoustier-Champagne and B. Nysten, Surface tension effect on the mechanical properties of nanomaterials measured by atomic force microscopy, Physical Review B, 69 (2004) 165410-2 - 165410-5.
- R. M. Lynden-Bell, A simulation study of induced disorder, failure and fracture of perfect metal crystals under uniaxial tension, Journal of Physics: Condensation of Matter, 7 (1995) 4603-4624.
- R. Komanduri, N. Chandrasekaran and L. M. Raff, Molecular dynamics (MD) simulation of uniaxial tension of some single-crystal cubic metals at nanolevel, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 43 (2001) 2237-2260.
- H. A. Wu, A. K. Soh, X. X. Wang and Z. H. Sun, Strength and fracture of single crystal metal nanowire, Key Engineering Materials, 261-263 (2004) 33-38.
- A. Chatterjee, An introduction to the proper orthogonal decomposition, Current Science, 78 (2000).
- D. D. Kosambi, Statistics in functional space, Journal of Indian Mathematical Society, 7 (1943) 76-88.
- G. Berkooz, P. Holmes and J. L. Lumley, The proper orthogonal decomposition in the analysis of turbulent flows, Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, 25 (1993) 539-575.
- A. Li, and E. H. Dowell, Modal reduction of mathematical models of biological molecules, Journal of Computational Physics, 211 (2006) 262-288.
- A. Nealen, An as-short-as-possible introduction to the least squares, weighted least squares and moving least squares methods for scattered data approximation and interpolation, Discrete Geometric Modeling Group, TU Darmstadt, 2004.
- H. S. Park and J. A. Zimmerman, Modeling inelasticity and failure in gold nanowires, Physical Review B, 72 (2005) 054106-1-054106-9.
- S. J. Plimpton, Fast parallel algorithms for short-range molecular dynamics, Journal of Computational Physics, 117 (1995) 1-9.
- Y. Mishin, M. J. Mehl, D. A. Papaconstantopoulos, A. F. Voter and J. D. Kress, Structural stability and lattice defects in copper: Ab initio, tight-binding, and embedded-atom calculations, Physical Review B, 63 (2001) 224106-1-224106-16.
- W. G. Hoover, Canonical dynamics: Equilibrium phase-space distributions, Physical Review A, 31 (1985) 1695-1697.
- D. H. Tsai, The virial theorem and stress calculation in molecular dynamics, Journal of Chemical Physics, 70 (1979) 1375-1382.
- G. Kerchen, J.-C. Golinval, A. F. Vakakis and L. A. Bergman, The method of proper orthogonal decomposition for dynamical characterization and order reduction of mechanical systems: An overview, Nonlinear Dynamics, 41 (2005) 147-169.
- L. Sirovich, Turbulence and the dynamics of coherent structures. part 1 : coherent structures, Quarterly of Applied Mathematics, 45 (1987) 561-571.
- T. Bui-Thanh, M. Damodaran and K. Willcox, Proper orthogonal decomposition extensions for parametric applications in transonic aerodynamics, 21th AIAA applied aerodynamics conference, Orlando, USA (2003).
- R. F. Coelho, P. Breitkopf, C. Knopf-Lenoir and P. Villon, Bi-level model reduction for coupled problems, Structural Multidisciplinary Optimization, Published online (2008) DOI:10.1007/s00158-008-0335-3.
- B. Nayroles, G. Touzot and P. Villon, Generalizing the finite element method: diffuse approximation and diffuse elements, Computational Mechanics, 10 (1992) 307-318.
- B.-S. Kim, Y.-B. Lee and D.-H. Choi, Comparison study on the accuracy of metamodeling technique for non-convex functions, Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, 23 (2009) 1175-1181.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (1)
- Kim, Ui-Yeong ; Jang, Seong-Min ; Jo, Maeng-Hyo ; Lee, Dong-Ho 2012. "Design of Wing Structures for High Altitude, Long Endurance UAV Concerning FSI Analysis with Reduced Order Model" 전산 구조 공학 = Journal of the Computational Structural Engineering Institute of Korea, 25(4): 7~13
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기