Numerical Analyses of Piles Subjected to Lateral Soil Movement
Load transfer to piles due to the relative movement between the piles and the moving soil is a fairly complex soil-pile interaction problem. Different analysis methods are available in literature to estimate the loads on piles. However, the predicted loads on the piles calculated by these methods vary due to insufficient representation of loading conditions and ignoring relative pile and soil movement. In this paper, three dimensional finite element analyses have been performed to evaluate the load transfer mechanism of free head passive pile groups in purely cohesionless soils. Numerical analyses are classified to address two most common passive pile cases, namely piles adjacent to embankments and piles used for slope stabilization. The effects of relative pile and soil displacement, pile spacing and pile arrangement on soil arching are investigated by numerical simulations. It is observed that load transfer decreases parallel to a decrease in pile spacing for piles adjacent to embankments contrary to piles used for slope stabilization.
- Baguelin, F., Frank, R., and Said, Y. H. (1977). "Theoretical study of lateral reaction mechanism of piles." Geotechnique, Vol. 27, No. 3, pp. 405-434.
- Begemann, H. K. S. and De Leeuw, E. H. (1972). "Horizontal Earth pressures on foundation piles as result of nearby soil fills." Proc. 5th Eur. Conf. Soil Mech. & Fdn. Engrg., Madrid, Vol. 1, pp. 1-9.
- Bransby, M. F. and Springman, S. M. (1996). "3-D Finite element modelling of pile groups adjacent to surcharge load." Computers and Geotechnics, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 301-324.
- Bransby, M. F. and Springman, S. (1999). "Selection of load-transfer functions for passive lateral loading of piles." Computers and Geotechnics, Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 155-184.
- Cai, F. and Ugai, K. (2000). "Numerical analysis of the stability of a slope reinforced with piles." Soils and Foundations, Vol. 40, No. 1, pp. 73-84.
- Chen, C. Y. and Martin, G. R. (2002). "Soil-structure interaction for landslide stabilizing piles." Computers and Geotechnics, Vol. 29, No. 5, pp. 363-386.
- Chen, L. T., Poulos, H. G., and Hull, T. S. (1997). "Model tests on pile groups subjected to lateral soil movement." Soils and Foundations, Vol. 37, No. 1, pp. 1-12.
- Chow, Y. K. and Yong, K. Y. (1996). "Analysis of piles subject to lateral soil Movements." Journal Institute of Engineers, Singapore, Vol. 36, No. 2, pp. 43-49.
- Comodromos, E. M. and Pitilakis K. D. (2005). "Response evaluation of horizontally loaded fixed-head pile groups using 3-D nonlinear analysis." International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, Vol. 29, No. 6, pp. 597-625.
- Cox, W. R., Dixon, D. A., and Murphy, B. S. (1983). Lateral load tests of 25.4 mm diameter piles in very soft clay in side-by-side and inline groups, Laterally Loaded Deep Foundations: Analysis and Performance, ASTM, SPT835.
- De Beer E. and Carpentier, R. (1977). "Discussions: Methods to estimate lateral force acting on stabilizing piles." Soils and Foundions, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 68-82.
- De Beer, E. E. and Wallays, M. (1972). "Forces induced in piles by unsymmetrical surcharges on the soil around the pile." Proc. 5th European Conf. on Soil Mechanics.
- Desai, C. S., Zaman, M. M., Lighter, J. G., and Siriwardane, H. J. (1984). "Thin-layer element for interface and joints." International Journal of Numerical Analysis Methods in Geomechanics, Vol. 8, pp. 19-43.
- Esu, F. and D'Elia, B. (1974). "Interazione terreno-struttura in un palo sollecitato dauna frana tip colata." Rev. Ital di Geot., Vol. III, pp. 27-38.
- Goh, A. T. C., Teh, C. I., and Wong, K. S. (1997). "Analysis of piles subjected to embankment induced lateral soil movements." Journal Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, Vol. 123, No. 9, pp. 792-801.
- Gudehus, G. and Schwarz, W. (1985). "Stabilisation of creeping slopes by dowels." Proceedings, 11th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, San Francisco, Vol. 3, pp. 1697-1700.
- Hassiotis, S. and Chameau, J. L. (1984). "Stabilization of slopes using piles." In Slope Stabilization, Report FHWA/IN/JHRP-84-8, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, p. 181.
- Hassiotis, S., Chameau, J. L., and Gunaratne, M. (1997). "Design method for stabilization of slopes with piles." Journal Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, Vol. 123, No. 4, pp. 314-323.
- Ito, T. and Matsui, T. (1975). "Methods to estimate lateral force acting on stabilizing piles." Soils and Foundations, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 43-59.
- Ito, T., Matsui, T., and Hong, W. P. (1982). "Extended design method for multi-row stabilising piles againts landslides." Soils and Foundations, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 1-13.
- Jeong, S., Kim, B., Won, J., and Lee, J. (2003). "Uncoupled analysis of stabilizing piles in weathered slopes." Computers and Geotechnics, 30, 671-682.
- Kahyaoglu, M. R., Imancli, G., Ozturk, A. U., and Kayalar, A. S. (2009). "Computational 3D finite element analyses of model passive piles." Computational Materials Science, Vol. 46, No. 1, pp. 193-202.
- Kelesoglu, M. K. and Cinicioglu, S. F. (2010). "Free-field measurements to disclose lateral reaction mechanism of piles subjected to soil movements." Journal Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, Vol. 136, No. 2, pp. 331-343.
- Laudeman, S. and Chang, N. Y. (2004). "Finite element analysis of slope stabilization using piles." Geotechnical Engineering for Transportation Projects-Proceedings of Geo-Trans, Los Angeles, CA.
- Liang, R. and Yamin, M. (2009). "Three-dimensional finite element study of arching behavior in slope/drilled shafts system." International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, DOI: 10.1002/nag.851
- Liang, R. and Zeng S. (2002). "Numerical study of soil arching mechanism in drilled shafts for slope stabilization." Soils and Foundations, Vol. 42, No. 2, pp. 83-92.
- Matsui, T., Hong, W. P., and Ito, T. (1982). "Earth pressures on piles in a row due to lateral soil movements." Soils and Foundations, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 71-81.
- Morgenstern, N. R. (1982). "The analysis of wall supportsto stabilize slopes." Application of Walls to Landslide Control Problems, Edited by R.B. Reeves, pp. 19-29.
- Nethero, M. F. (1982). "Slide control by drilled pier walls." Application of Walls to Landslide Control Problems, Reeves, R. B. (ed.), ASCE, pp. 61-76.
- Nunez, I. L. (1988). "Driving and tension loading of piles in sand on a centrifuge." Proceedings International Conference Centrifuge 88, Paris, Corte, J. F. (ed.), Balkema, Rotterdam, pp. 353-362.
- Oteo, C. S. (1977). "Horizontal loaded piles - Deformation influence." Proc. 9th Int. Conf. Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, Tokyo, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 101-106.
- Ovesen, N. K. (1979). "The use of physical models in design: The scaling law relationship." Proc., 7th European Conf. on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, Brighton, Vol. 4, pp. 318-323.
- Pan, J. L., Goh, A. T. C., Wong, K. S., and Teh, C. I. (2000). "Model tests on single piles in soft clay." Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Vol. 37, No. 4, pp. 890-897.
- Pan, J. L., Goh, A. T. C., Wong, K. S., and Teh, C. I. (2002). "Ultimate soil pressures for piles subjected to lateral soil movements." Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 128, No. 6, pp. 530-535.
- Poulos, H. G. (1973). "Analysis of piles in soil undergoing lateral movement." Journal of Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering Division, ASCE, Vol. 99, pp. 391-406.
- Poulos, H. G. (1995). "Design of reinforcing piles to increase slope stability." Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Vol. 32, No. 5, pp. 808-818.
- Poulos, H. G. (1996). "A comparison of some methods for the design of piles through embankments." 12th Southeast Asian Geotechnical Conference, Kuala Lumpur.
- Poulos, H. G. and Davis, E. H. (1980). Pile foundation analysis and design, New York: John Wiley & Sons Inc.
- Reese, L.C., Wang, S. T., and Fouse, J. L. (1992). "Use of drilled shafts in stabilising a slope." In Stability and Performance of Slopes and Embankments-II, Seed, R. B. and Boulanger, R. W. (eds.), ASCE, Vol. 2, pp. 1318-1332.
- Rollins, K. M. and Rollins, R. L. (1992). "Landslide stabilisation using drilled shaft walls." In Ground Movements and Structures, Geddes, J. D. (eds.), Pentech Press: London, Vol. 4, pp. 755-770.
- Rollins, K. M., Peterson, K. T., and Weaver, T. J. (1998). "Lateral load behaviour of full-scale group in clay." Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, Vol. 124, No. 6, pp. 468-478.
- Rowe, R. K. and Poulos, H. G. (1979). "A method for predicting the effect of piles on slope behaviour." Proc. 3rd ICONMIG, Achen, Vol. 3, pp. 1073-1085.
- Sommer, H. (1977). "Creeping slope in a stiff clay." Proc. 10th Spec. Session, 9th Int. Conf. Soil Mechs and Found. Engrg., Tokyo, pp. 113-118.
- Springman, S. M. (1989). Lateral loading on piles due to simulated embankment construction, Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Cambridge University, England.
- Springman, S. M. and Bolton, M. D. (1990). "The effect of surcharge loading adjacent to piles." Transport & Road Research Laboratory-Contractor Report 196.
- Stewart, D. P. (1992). Lateral loading of piled bridge abutments due to embankment construction, PhD Thesis, University of Western Australia.
- Stewart, D. P., Jewell, R. J., and Randolph, M. F. (1993). "Numerical modeling of piled bridge abutments on soft ground." Computers and Geotechnics, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 21-46.
- Trochanis, A., Bielek, J., and Christiano, P. (1988). "A three-dimensional nonlinear study of piles leading to the development of a simplified model." Carnegie Institute of Technology, Report No. R, pp. 88-176.
- Wakai, A., Gose, S., and Ugai, K. (1999). "3-D Elasto-plastic finite element analyses of pile foundations subjected to lateral loading." Soils and Foundations, Vol. 39, No. 1, pp. 97-111.
- Wang, Z. and Richwien, W. (2002). "A study of soil-reinforcement interface friction." J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., Vol. 128, No. 1, pp. 92-94.
- Wang, M. C., Wu, A. H., and Scheessele, D. J. (1979). "Stress and deformation in single piles due to lateral movement of surrounding soils." Behaviour of Deep Foundations, ASTM 670, Raymond Lunggren, Ed., American Society for Testing and Materials, pp. 578-591.
- Won, J., You, K., Jeong, S., and Kim, S. (2005). "Coupled effects in stability analysis of pile-slope system." Computers and Geotechnics, Vol. 32, No. 4, pp. 304-315.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기