Genetic aberrations on the short arm of chromosome 8 (8p) in tongue carcinomas
Aberrations on the short arm of chromosome 8 (8p) are frequently observed in several human cancers. In this study, 20 squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) specimens from the tongue were examined in order to evaluate the role of 8p in SCC of the tongue. Microsatellite analysis using 14 markers demonstrated two commonly deleted regions (CDRs) on 8p. Reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) revealed frequent down-regulation of the FEZ1 gene, mapped to 8p22, and frequent over-expression of the cathepsin B gene, mapped to 8p-21-22. These results suggested that genetic aberrations are involved in the development of SCC of the tongue. However, no significant relationship was observed to be established between the genetic alterations and clinicopathological features. Thus, further investigation is necessary in order to clarify the clinical role of 8p in carcinoma of the tongue.
- Ono K, Miyakawa A, Fukuda M, Shiiba M, Uzawa K, Watanabe T, et al. Allelic loss on the short arm of chromosome 8 in oral squamous cell carcinoma. Oncol Rep 1999;6:785-9.
- Takechi T, Okabe H, Fujioka A, Murakami Y, Fukushima M. Relationship between protein levels and gene expression of dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase in human tumor cells during growth in culture and in nude mice. Jpn J Cancer Res 1998;89: 1144-53.
- Scully C, Field JK, Tanzawa H. Genetic aberrations in oral or head and neck squamous cell carcinoma (SCCHN): 1. Carcinogen metabolism, DNA repair and cell cycle control. Oral Oncol 2000;36:256-63.
- Scully C, Field JK, Tanzawa H. Genetic aberrations in oral or head and neck squamous cell carcinoma 2: chromosomal aberrations. Oral Oncol 2000;36:311-27.
- Scully C, Field JK, Tanzawa H. Genetic aberrations in oral or head and neck squamous cell carcinoma 3: clinico-pathological applications. Oral Oncol 2000;36:404-13.
- Partridge M, Emilion G, Pateromichelakis S, Phillips E, Langdon J. Location of candidate tumour suppressor gene loci at chromosomes 3p, 8p and 9p for oral squamous cell carcinomas. Int J Cancer 1999;83:318-25.
- Vecchione A, Ishii H, Shiao YH, Trapasso F, Rugge M, Tamburrino JF, et al. Fez1/lzts1 alterations in gastric carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res 2001;7:1546-52.
- Kawaki J, Miyazaki M, Ito H, Nakagawa K, Shimizu H, Yoshidome H, et al. Allelic loss in human intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma: correlation between chromosome 8p22 and tumor progression. Int J Cancer 2000;88:228-31.
- Mort JS, Buttle DJ. Cathepsin B. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 1997;29:715-20.
- Podgorski I, Sloane BF. Cathepsin B and its role (s) in cancer progression. In: Proteases and the regulation of biological processes. Proceedings of the Biochemical Society Symposium. vol. 70. London: Portland Press; 2003:263-76.
- Maniatis T, Fritsch EF, Sambrook J. Molecular cloning, a laboratory manual. 1st ed. New York: Cold Spring Harbor; 1982:280-1.
- Nowell PC, Croce CM. Chromosomes, genes, and cancer. Am J Pathol 1986;125:7-15.
- Nowell PC. Foundations in cancer research. Chromosomes and cancer: the evolution of an idea. Adv Cancer Res 1993;62:1-17.
- Knudson AG. Antioncogenes and human cancer. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1993;90:10914-21.
- Suzuki H, Emi M, Komiya A, Fujiwara Y, Yatani R, Nakamura Y, et al. Localization of a tumor suppressor gene associated with progression of human prostate cancer within a 1.2 Mb region of 8p22-p21.3. Genes Chromosomes Cancer 1995;13:168-74.
- Cunningham C, Dunlop MG, Bird CC, Wyllie AH. Deletion analysis of chromosome 8p in sporadic colorectal adenomas. Br J Cancer 1994;70:18-20.
- Kerangueven F, Essioux L, Dib A, Noguchi T, Allione F, Geneix J, et al. Loss of heterozygosity and linkage analysis in breast carcinoma: indication for a putative third susceptibility gene on the short arm of chromosome 8. Oncogene 1995;10:1023-6.
- Knowles MA, Shaw ME, Proctor AJ. Deletion mapping of chromosome 8 in cancers of the urinary bladder using restriction fragment length polymorphisms and microsatellite polymorphisms. Oncogene 1993;8:1357-64.
- el-Naggar AK, Hurr K, Batsakis JG, Luna MA, Goepfert H, Huff V. Sequential loss of heterozygosity at microsatellite motifs in preinvasive and invasive head and neck squamous carcinoma. Cancer Res 1995;55:2656-9.
- Wu CL, Roz L, Sloan P, Read AP, Holland S, Porter S, et al. Deletion mapping defines three discrete areas of allelic imbalance on chromosome arm 8p in oral and oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinomas. Genes Chromosomes Cancer 1997;20:347-53.
- Ishii H, Baffa R, Numata SI, Murakumo Y, Rattan S, Inoue H, et al. The FEZ1 gene at chromosome 8p22 encodes a leucine-zipper protein, and its expression is altered in multiple human tumors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1999;96:3928-33.
- Ono K, Uzawa K, Nakatsuru M, Shiiba M, Mochida Y, Tada A, et al. Down-regulation of FEZ1/LZTS1 gene with frequent loss of heterozygosity in oral squamous cell carcinomas. Int J Oncol 2003;23:297-302.
- Wahi PN. Histological typing of oral and orophangeal tumors. In: World Health Organization, eds. International histological classification of tumours. vol. 4. Geneva: World Health Organization; 1971.
- Sobin LH, Hermanek P, Hutter RV. TNM classification of malignant tumors. A comparison between the new (1987) and the old editions. Cancer 1988;61:2310-4.
- 원문이 없습니다.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기