Factors Affecting Public Prejudice and Social Distance on Mental Illness: Analysis of Contextual Effect by Multi-level Analysis
Objectives: While there have been many quantitative studies on the public's attitude towards mental illnesses, it is hard to find quantitative study which focused on the contextual effect on the public's attitude. The purpose of this study was to identify factors that affect the public's beliefs and attitudes including contextual effects. Methods: We analyzed survey on the public's beliefs and attitudes towards mental illness in Korea with multi-level analysis. We analyzed the public's beliefs and attitudes in terms of prejudice as an intermediate outcome and social distance as a final outcome. Then, we focused on the associations of factors, which were individual and regional socioeconomic factors, familiarity, and knowledge based on the comparison of the intermediate and final outcomes. Results: Prejudice was not explained by regional variables but was only correlated with individual factors. Prejudice increased with age and decreased by high education level. However, social distance controlling for prejudice increased in females, in people with a high education level, and in regions with a high education level and a high proportion of the old. Therefore, social distance without controlling for prejudice increased in females, in the elderly, in highly educated people, and in regions with a high education and aged community. Conclusions: The result of the multi-level analysis for the regional variables suggests that social distance for mental illness are not only determined by individual factors but also influenced by the surroundings so that it could be tackled sufficiently with appropriate considering of the relevant regional context with individual characteristics.
- El-Adi M, El-Mahdy M, Anis M. First Episode Psychosis (FEP): factors associated with delayed access to care in a rural Egyptian setting. Eur Psychiatry 2007;22(Suppl 1):S79-S80.
- Jovanovic D. Duration of untreated psychosis and stigma in psychotic patients: a family view. Eur Psychiatry 2007;22(Suppl 1):S117-S118.
- Lehtinen V, Vaeisaenen E. Attitudes towards mental illness and utilization of psychiatric treatment. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 1978;13(2):63-68.
- Kessler RC, Mickelson KD, Williams DR. The prevalence, distribution, and mental health correlates of perceived discrimination in the United States. J Health Soc Behav 1999;40(3):208-230.
- The Central Mental Health Supporting Committee. 2009 Annual report. Seoul: The Central Mental Health Supporting Committee; 2010.
- The Central Mental Health Supporting Committee. 2011 Working paper. Seoul: The Central Mental Health Supporting Committee; 2010.
- Link BG, Phelan JC. Conceptualizing stigma. Annu Rev Sociol 2001;27:363-385.
- Moon S, Lee JS, Park SK, Lee SY, Kim Y, Kim YI, et al. Factors affecting social distance toward mental illness: a nationwide telephone survey in Korea. J Prev Med Public Health 2008;41(6):419-426 (Korean).
- Yang S, Yu SJ. The stigma toward the mental illness and mentally ill patients among nursing students between before and after learning psychiatric: mental health nursing. J Korean Acad Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs 2001;10(3):421-435 (Korean).
- Kim MH. Comparative study on the cognition and attitudes toward the mentally ill person among EMT college student before and after psychiatric nursing course work. J Korean Emerg Med Technol 2002;6(6):5-14 (Korean).
- Angermeyer MC, Dietrich S. Public beliefs about and attitudes towards people with mental illness: a review of population studies. Acta Psychiatr Scand 2006;113(3):163-179.
- Corrigan PW, Edwards AB, Green A, Diwan SL, Penn DL. Prejudice, social distance, and familiarity with mental illness. Schizophr Bull 2001;27(2):219-225.
- Angermeyer MC, Matschinger H. Violent attacks on public figures by persons suffering from psychiatric disorders. Their effect on the social distance towards the mentally ill. Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 1995;245(3):159-164.
- Angermeyer MC, Matschinger H. Public attitudes to people with depression: have there been any changes over the last decade? J Affect Disord 2004;83(2-3):177-182.
- Angermeyer MC, Matschinger H, Holzinger A. Gender and attitudes towards people with schizophrenia. Results of a representative survey in the Federal Republic of Germany. Int J Soc Psychiatry 1998;44(2):107-116.
- Chou KL, Mak KY, Chung PK, Ho K. Attitudes towards mental patients in Hong Kong. Int J Soc Psychiatry 1996;42(3):213-219.
- Gaebel W, Baumann A, Witte AM, Zaeske H. Public attitudes towards people with mental illness in six German cities: results of a public survey under special consideration of schizophrenia. Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 2002;252(6):278-287.
- Lauber C, Nordt C, Falcato L, Rossler W. Factors influencing social distance toward people with mental illness. Community Ment Health J 2004;40(3):265-274.
- Lauber C, Nordt C, Sartorius N, Falcato L, Rossler W. Public acceptance of restrictions on mentally ill people. Acta Psychiatr Scand Suppl 2000;(407):26-32.
- Levav I, Shemesh A, Grinshpoon A, Aisenberg E, Shershevsky Y, Kohn R. Mental health-related knowledge, attitudes and practices in two kibbutzim. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 2004;39(9):758-764.
- Madianos MG, Economou M, Hatjiandreou M, Papageorgiou A, Rogakou E. Changes in public attitudes towards mental illness in the Athens area (1979/1980-1994). Acta Psychiatr Scand 1999;99(1):73-78.
- Ojanen M. Attitudes towards mental patients. Int J Soc Psychiatry 1992;38(2):120-130.
- Pescosolido BA, Monahan J, Link BG, Stueve A, Kikuzawa S. The public's view of the competence, dangerousness, and need for legal coercion of persons with mental health problems. Am J Public Health 1999;89(9):1339-1345.
- Wolff G, Pathare S, Craig T, Leff J. Community attitudes to mental illness. Br J Psychiatry 1996;168:183-190.
저자의 다른 논문
- 1974 "인삼(人蔘)사포닌의 동물행동(動物行動)에 대(對)한 작용(作用)" 대한약리학잡지 10 (2): 1~11
- 1976 "인삼이 흰쥐의 조건회피반응 습득에 미치는 영향" 대한약리학잡지 12 (1): 63~67
- 1976 "인삼의 향정신작용에 관한 연구" 고려인삼학회지 = Korean journal of ginseng science 1 (1): 33~50
- 1977 "정신약리학(精神藥理學)의 연구방법(硏究方法)의 제문제(諸問題)" 생약학회지 8 (4): 139~148
- 1977 "Ethological한 입장에서 본 동물(動物)의 성행동(性行動) 양상(樣狀)" 大韓不妊學會雜誌 = Korean journal of the fertility and sterility 4 (1): 1~10
- 2012 "Differences in Obesity Rates Between People With and Without Disabilities and the Association of Disability and Obesity: A Nationwide Population Study in South Korea" Journal of preventive medicine and public health = 예방의학회지 45 (4): 211~218
- 원문이 없습니다.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기