Optimized Security Algorithm for IEC 61850 based Power Utility System
As power grids are integrated into one big umbrella (i.e., Smart Grid), communication network plays a key role in reliable and stable operation of power grids. For successful operation of smart grid, interoperability and security issues must be resolved. Security means providing network system integrity, authentication, and confidentiality service. For a cyber-attack to a power grid system, which may jeopardize the national security, vulnerability of communication infrastructure has a serious impact on the power grid network. While security aspects of power grid network have been studied much, security mechanisms are rarely adopted in power gird communication network. For security issues, strict timing requirements are defined in IEC 61850 for mission critical messages (i.e., GOOSE). In this paper, we apply security algorithms (i.e., MD-5, SHA-1, and RSA) and measure their processing time and transmission delay of secured mission critical messages. The results show the algorithms satisfying the timing requirements defined in IEC 61850 and we observer the algorithm that is optimal for secure communication of mission critical messages. Numerical analysis shows that SHA-1 is preferable for secure GOOSE message sending.
- E. Santacana, G. Rackliffe, T. Tang, and F. Xiaoming, "Getting Smart," IEEE Power and Energy Magazine, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 41-48, Mar. 2010.
- G. N. S. Prasanna, A. Lakshmi, S. Sumanth, V. Simha, J. Bapat, and G. Koomullil, "Data Communication over the Smart Grid," in Proc. of IEEE Int. Sump. Power Line Communications and Its Applications, Apr. 2009, pp. 273-279.
- S. M. Amin and B. F. Wollenberg, "Toward a Smart Grid: Power Delivery for 21st Century," IEEE Power and Energy Magazine, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 34-41, Sept. 2005.
- S.-J. Rim, S.-W. Zeng, and S.-J. Lee, "Development of an Intelligent Station HMI in IEC 61850 Based Substation," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 13-18, 2009.
- IEC 61850, Communication Networks and System in Substation Automation, IEC Std., 2002-2005, available at www.iec.ch.
- B. K. Yoo, S. H. Yang, H. S. Yang, W. Y. Kim, Y. S. Jeong, B. M. Han, K. S. Jang, "Communication Architecture of IEC 61850 based Micro Grid System," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 605-612, 2011
- J.-H. Jeon, S.-K. Kim, C.-H. Cho, J.-B. Ahn, and E.-S. Kim, "Development of Simulator Systems for Microgrids with Renewable Energy Sources," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 409-413, 2006.
- F. Cleveland, "IEC TC57 Security Standards for the Power System's Information Infrastructure - Beyond Simple Encryption," in Proc. of IEEE Transmission and Distribution Conf. and Exhib., May 2006, pp. 1079-1087.
- A. R. Metke and R. L. Ekl, "Security Technology for Smart Grid Networks," IEEE Trans. on Smart Grid, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 99-107, 2010.
- G. N. Erricsson, "Cyber Security and Power System Communication-Essential Parts of a Smart Grid Infrastructure," IEEE Trans. on Power Delivery, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 1501-1507, Apr. 2010.
- H. Khurana, M. Hadley, L. Ning, and D. Frincke, "Smart-Grid Security Issues," IEEE Security and Privacy, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 81-85, Feb. 2010.
- P. McDaniel and S. McLaughlin, "Security and Privacy Challenges in the Smart Grid," IEEE Security and Privacy, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 75-77, June 2009.
- K. Moslehi and R. Kumar, "A Reliability Perspective of the Smart Grid," IEEE Trans. on Smart Grid, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 57-64, May 2010
- IEC 62351, Power Systems Management and Associated Information Exchange - Data Communications Security, IEC Std., 2007-2010, available at www.iec.ch.
- S. Fries, H. J. Hof, and M. Seewald, "Enhancing IEC 62351 to Improve Security for Energy Automation in Smart Grid Environments," in Proc. of Int. Conf. on Internet and Web App., pp. 135-142, 2010.
- H. K. Kim, S.-H. Kang, S.-R. Nam, and S.-S. Oh, "Improved Operating Scheme using an IEC 61850- based Distance Relay for Transformer Backup Protection,'' in Proc. of IEEE Bucharest Power Tech., pp. 1-6, 2010.
- Cyber security working group, NIST, Smart Grid Interoperability Panel - "Cyber Security Working Group Standards Review,'' pp. 52-54, phase 1 Report, 2010
- T. Skiei, S. Johannessen, and C. Brunner, "Ethernet in Substation Automation," IEEE Control Systems Mag., pp. 43-51, June 2002.
- T. S. Sidhu and Y. Yin, "Modeling and simulation for performance evaluation of IEC61850-based substation communication systems," IEEE Trans. on Power Delivery, pp. 1482-1489, July 2007.
- H. S. Yang and et. al., "Gigabit Ethernet based substation," Jourl. of Power Electronics, pp. 100-108, Jan. 2009.
- S. G. Stubblebine and V. D. Gligor, "On Message Integrity in Cryptographic Protocols," in Proc. of IEEE Computer Society Sym. on Research in security and Privacy, 1992, pp. 85-104.
- B. D. Boer and A. Bosselaers, "An Attack in the Last Two Rounds of MD4," Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 576, pp. 194-203, 1992.
- H. Dobbertin, "Cryptanalysis of MD4," Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 1039, pp. 53-69, 1996.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (1)
- Kim, Hyeong-Dong ; Kim, Ki-Hyun ; Ha, Jae-Cheol 2013. "Development of Intrusion Detection System for GOOSE Protocol Based on the Snort" 情報保護學會論文誌 = Journal of the Korea Institute of Information Security and Cryptology, 23(6): 1181~1190
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기