Tests and finite element analysis on the local buckling of 420 MPa steel equal angle columns under axial compression
Local buckling can be ignored for hot-rolled ordinary strength steel equal angle compression members, because the width-to-thickness ratios of the leg don't exceed the limit value. With the development of steel structures, Q420 high strength steel angles with the nominal yield strength of 420 MPa have begun to be widely used in China. Because of the high strength, the limit value of the width-to-thickness ratio becomes smaller than that of ordinary steel strength, which causes that the width-to-thickness ratios of some hot-rolled steel angle sections exceed the limit value. Consequently, local buckling must be considered for 420 MPa steel equal angles under axial compression. The existing research on the local buckling of high strength steel members under axial compression is briefly summarized, and it shows that there is lack of study on the local buckling of high strength steel equal angles under axial compression. Aiming at the local buckling of high strength steel angles, this paper conducts an axial compression experiment of 420MPa high strength steel equal angles, including 15 stub columns. The test results are compared with the corresponding design methods in ANSI/AISC 360-05 and Eurocode 3. Then a finite element model is developed to analyze the local buckling behavior of high strength steel equal angles under axial compression, and validated by the test results. Following the validation, a finite element parametric study is conducted to study the influences of a range of parameters, and the analysis results are compared with the design strengths by ANSI/AISC 360-05 and Eurocode 3.
- ABAQUS Theory Manual (2003), Version 6.4. Pawtucket, Hibbit, Rhode Island, Karlsson and Sorensen Inc.
- ANSI/AISC 360-05 (2005), Specification for Structural Steel Buildings, American Institute of Steel Construction, Chicago.
- ANSYS Multiphysics 10.0 (2003), Ansys Inc., Canonsburg, Pennsylvania.
- AS 4100 (1998), Steel Structures, Standards Association of Australia, NSW.
- Ban, H.Y., Shi, G., Shi, Y.J. and Wang, Y.Q. (2009), "Experiments on the residual stress of 420MPa steel equal angles", Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Advances in Steel Structures, Hong Kong, China, December.
- Clarin, M. and Lagerqvist, O. (2005), "Plate buckling of high strength steel - Experimental investigation of welded box section under compression", Steel Members and Structural Systems, Eurosteel Maastricht, Volume A, 1.4, 207-214.
- Code for design of steel structures committee (2003), Application Construal of Code for Design of Steel Structures in China. China Planning Press, Beijing. (in Chinese)
- Dwight, J.B. and Moxham, K.E. (1969), "Welded steel plates in compression", Struct. Eng., 47(2), 49-66.
- EN 1993-1-1 (2005), Eurocode 3: Design of steel structures - Part 1-1: General rules and rules for buildings, European Committee for Standardization, Brussels.
- EN 1993-1-5 (2006), Eurocode 3: Design of steel structures - Part 1-5: Plated structural elements, European Committee for Standardization, Brussels.
- GB 50017-2003 (2006), Code for Design of Steel Structures, China Architecture and Building Press, Beijing.
- GB 50205-2001 (2001), Code for Acceptance of Construction Quality of Steel Structures, China Planning Press, Beijing. (in Chinese)
- GB/T 228-2002 (2002), Metallic Materials-Tensile Testing at Ambient Temperature, Standards Press of China, Beijing. (in Chinese)
- GB/T 2975-1998 (1998), Steel and Steel Products-Location and Preparation of Test Pieces for Mechanical Testing, Standards Press of China, Beijing. (in Chinese)
- GB/T 706-2008 (2008), Hot Rolled Section Steel. China Planning Press, Beijing. (in Chinese)
- Hermann, S.D. (2002), "On the local stability interaction effect of high strength steel columns", Steel Members and Structural Systems, Eurosteel Coimbra, 353-360.
- IABSE (2005), Use and Application of High-performance Steels for Steel Structures, IABSE, Zurich, Switzerland.
- Nishino, F., Ueda, Y. and Tall, L. (1967), "Experimental investigation of the buckling of plates with residual stresses, tests methods for compression members", ASTM Special Technical Publication No. 419, ASTM, Philadelphia, PA, 12-30.
- Pocock, G. (2006), "High strength steel use in Australia, Japan and the US", Struct. Eng., 84(21), 27-30.
- Rasmussen, K.J.R. and Hancock, G.J. (1992), "Plate slenderness limits for high strength steel sections". J. CONSTR. STEEL. RES., 23(1-3), 73-96.
- Rasmussen, K.J.R. and Hancock, G.J. (1995), "Tests of high strength steel columns", J. CONSTR. STEEL. RES., 34(1), 27-52.
- Shi, G. and Bijlaard, F.S.K. (2007), "Finite element analysis on the buckling behavior of high strength steel columns", Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Advances in Steel Structures, Singapore, December.
- Tang, L.R.B. and Mahendran, M. (2004), "Behavior of high strength steel compression members", Proceedings of 10th Nordic Steel Construction Conference, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Usami, T. and Fukumoto, Y. (1982), "Local and overall buckling of welded box columns", J. Struct. Div., 108(3), 525-542.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (3)
- 2012. "" Structural engineering and mechanics : An international journal, 44(2): 219~238
- 2013. "" Computers & concrete, 11(5): 475~492
- 2013. "" Structural engineering and mechanics : An international journal, 46(3): 323~335
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기