Effects of multiple MR dampers controlled by fuzzy-based strategies on structural vibration reduction
Fuzzy logic based control has recently been proposed for regulating the properties of magnetorheological (MR) dampers in an effort to reduce vibrations of structures subjected to seismic excitations. So far, most studies showing the effectiveness of these algorithms have focused on the use of a single MR damper. Because multiple dampers would be needed in practical applications, this study aims to evaluate the effects of multiple individually tuned fuzzy-controlled MR dampers in reducing responses of a multi-degree-of-freedom structure subjected to seismic motions. Two different fuzzy-control algorithms are considered, a traditional controller where all parameters are kept constant, and a gain-scheduling control strategy. Different damper placement configurations are also considered, as are different numbers of MR dampers. To determine the robustness of the fuzzy controllers developed to changes in ground excitation, the structure selected is subjected to different earthquake records. Responses analyzed include peak and root mean square displacements, accelerations, and interstory drifts. Results obtained with the fuzzy-based control schemes are compared to passive control strategies.
- Ali, S.F. and Ramaswamy, A. (2009), "Optimal fuzzy logic control for MDOF structural systems using evolutionary algorithms", Eng. Appl. Artif. Int., 22, 407-419.
- Chao, C.T. and Teng, C.C. (1997), "A PD-like self-tuning fuzzy controller without steady-state error", Fuzzy Set. Syst., 87, 141-154.
- Choi, K.M., Cho, S.W., Jung, H.J. and Lee, I.W. (2004), "Semi-active fuzzy control for seismic response reduction using magnetorheological dampers", Earthq. Eng. Struch., 33, 723-736.
- Dalei, G. and Jianqiang, Y. (2002), "Semi-active seismic isolation control based on MR damper and neural networks", Proceedings of 6th Intern. Conf. on Motion and Vibration Control, Saitama, Japan.
- Driankov, D., Hellendoorn, H. and Reinfrank, M. (1993), An Introduction to Fuzzy Contro., Heidelberg: Springer, Berlin, Germany.
- Dyke, S.J., Spencer Jr., B.F., Sain, M.K. and Carlson, J.D. (1996), "Modeling and control of magnetorheological dampers for seismic response reduction", Smart Mater. Struct., 5, 565-575.
- Dyke, S.J. and Spencer Jr., B.F. (1997), "Comparison of semi-active control strategies for the MR damper", Proceedings of Intern. Conf. on Intelligent Information Systems, The Bahamas.
- Faravelli, L, and Yao, T. (1996), "Use of adaptive networks in fuzzy control of civil structures", Microcomput. Civil Eng., 11, 67-76.
- Hiemenz, G.J., Choi, Y.T. and Wereley, N.M. (2000), "Seismic control of civil structures utilizing semi-active MR bracing systems", Proceeding of Smart Systems for Bridges, Structures, and Highways Conf., Newport Beach, USA.
- Jing, C., Youlin, X., Weilian, Q. and Zhilun, W. (2004), "Seismic response control of a complex structure using multiple MR dampers: experimental investigation", Earthq. Eng. Eng. Vib., 3(2), 181-193.
- Li, H.X. and Gatland, H.B. (1996), "Conventional fuzzy control and its enhancement", IEEE T. Syst. Man. Cy., 26(5), 791-797.
- Liu, Y., Gordaninejad, F., Evrensel, C.A. and Hitchcock, G. (2001), "An experimental study on fuzzy logic vibration control of a bridge using fail-safe magneto-rheological fluid dampers", Proceedings of Smart Systems and Materials Conf., Newport Beach, USA.
- Lu, K.C., Loh, C.H. and Yang, J.N. (2008), "Building control using MR-dampers: centralized versus decentralized control", Proceedings 11th Intern. Conf. on Engineering, Science, Construction, and Operations in Challenging Environments, Long Beach, USA.
- MacVicar-Whelan, P.J. (1976), "Fuzzy sets for man-machine interaction", Int. J. Man Mach. Stud., 8, 687-697.
- Neelakantan, V.A. and Washington, G.N. (2008), "Vibration control of structural systems using MR dampers and a 'modified' sliding mode control technique", J. Intel. Mat. Syst. Struct., 19(2), 211-224.
- Ni, Y.Q., Chen, Y., Ko, J.M. and Cao, D.Q. (2002), "Neuro-control of cable vibration using semi-active magnetorheological dampers", Eng. Struct., 24, 295-307.
- Park, K.S., Koh, H.M. and Ok, S.Y. (2002), "Active control of earthquake excited structures using fuzzy supervisory technique", Adv. Eng. Softw., 33, 761-768.
- Schurter, K.C. and Roschke, P.N. (2001), "Neuro-fuzzy control of structures using acceleration feedback", Smart Mater. Struct., 10(4), 770-779.
- Shook, D.A., Roschke, P.N., Lin, P.Y. and Loh, C.H. (2008), "GA-optimized fuzzy logic control of a large-scale building for seismic loads", Eng. Struct., 30, 436-449.
- Spencer Jr., B.F., Dyke, S.J., Sain, M.K. and Carlson, J.D. (1997), "Phenomenological model of a magnetorheological damper", J. Eng. Mech.-ASCE, 123(3), 230-238.
- Wilson, C.M.D. (2005), Fuzzy Control of Magnetorheological Dampers for Vibration Reduction of Seismically Excited Structures, Dissertation, Florida State University, Tallahassee, USA.
- Wilson, C.M.D. and Abdullah, M.M. (2009), "Structural vibration reduction using gain-scheduled fuzzy control of magnetorheological dampers", J. Seismol. Earthq. Eng., 11(2), 97-110.
- Wilson, C.M.D. and Abdullah, M.M. (2010), "Structural vibration reduction using self-tuning fuzzy control of magnetorheological dampers", B. Earthq. Eng., 8(4), 1037-1054.
- Xu, Y.L., Qu, W.L. and Ko, J.M. (2000), "Seismic response control of frame structures using magnetorheological/electrorheological dampers", Earthq. Eng. Struct., 29, 557-575.
- Xu, Z.D., Shen, Y.P. and Guo, Y.Q. (2003), "Semi-active control of structures incorporated with magnetorheological dampers using neural-networks", Smart Mater. Struct., 12, 80-87.
- Yager, R.R. and Filev, D.P. (1994), Essentials of Fuzzy Modeling and Control, John Wiley and Sons, New York, USA.
- Yang, G. (2001), "Large-Scale Magnetorheological Fluid Damper for Vibration Mitigation: Modeling, Testing and Control", Dissertation, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, USA
- Yang, G., Spencer Jr., B.F., Carlson, J.D. and Sain, M.K. (2002), "Large-scale MR fluid dampers: mdeling, and dynamic performance considerations", Eng. Struct., 24(3), 309-323.
- Yi, F., Dyke, S.J., Caicedo, J.M. and Carlson, J.D. (2001), "Experimental verification of multi-input seismic control strategies for smart dampers", J. Eng. Mech., 127(11), 1152-1164.
- Zhao, Y. (2001), "Autotuning of an Industrial Weigh Belt Feeder", Dissertation, Florida State University, Tallahassee, USA.
- Zhao, Y., Collins Jr., E.G. and Dunlap, D. (2003), "Genetic fuzzy parallel parking control for autonomous ground vehicles", Proceedings of American Control Conf., Denver, USA.
- Zhou, L., Chang, C.C. and Spencer Jr., B.F. (2002), "Intelligent technology-based control of motion and vibration using MR dampers", Earthq. Eng. Eng. Vib., 1(1), 100-110.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (1)
- 2013. "" Structural engineering and mechanics : An international journal, 45(3): 323~336
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기