MAC Protocol for Reliable Multicast over Multi-Hop Wireless Ad Hoc Networks
Multicast data communication is an efficient communication scheme, especially inmulti-hop ad hoc networks where the media access control (MAC) layer is based on one-hop broadcast from one source to multiple receivers. Compared to unicast, multicast over a wireless channel should be able to deal with varying channel conditions of multiple users and user mobility to provide good quality to all users. IEEE 802.11 does not support reliable multicast owing to its inability to exchange request-to-send/clear-to-send and acknowledgement packets with multiple recipients. Thus, several MAC layer protocols have been proposed to provide reliable multicast. However, additional overhead is introduced, as a result, which degrades the system performance. In this paper, we propose an efficient wireless multicast MAC protocol with small control overhead required for reliable multicast in multi-hop wireless ad hoc networks. We present analytical formulations of the system throughput and delay associated with the overhead.
- J.-S. Park, M. Gerla, D. S. Lun, Y. Yi, and M. Medard, "Codecast: A network-coding-based ad hoc multicast protocol," IEEE Wireless Commun. Mag., vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 76-81, Oct. 2006.
- C.-W. Bao and W. Liao, "Performance analysis of reliable MAC-layer multicast for IEEE 802.11 wireless LANs," in Proc. IEEE ICC, May 2005, pp. 1378-1382.
- H. Gossain, N. Nandiraju, K. Anand, and D. P. Agrawal, "Supporting MAC layer multicast in IEEE 802.11 based MANETs: Issues and solutions," in Proc. IEEE LCN, Nov. 2004, pp. 172-179.
- M.-T. Sun, L. Huang, A. Arora, and T.-H. Lai, "Reliable MAC layer multicast in IEEE 802.11 wireless networks," Wireless Commun. Mobile Comput., vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 439-453, June 2003.
- M.-T. Sun, L. Huang, A. Arora, and T.-H. Lai,, "Reliable MAC layer multicast in IEEE 802.11 wireless networks," in Proc. IEEE ICPP, Aug. 2002, pp. 527-536.
- D. Towsley, J. Kurose, and S. Pingali, "A comparison of sender-initiated and receiver-initiated reliable multicast protocols," IEEE J. Sel. Areas Commun., vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 398-406, Apr. 1997.
- J. Kuri and S. K. Kasera, "Reliable multicast in multi-access wireless LANs," ACM Wireless Netw., vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 359-369, Aug. 2001.
- B.-S. Kim, S. W. Kim, and R. L. Ekl, "OFDMA-based reliable multicasting MAC protocol for WLANs," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., pp. 3136-3145, Sept. 2008.
- IEEE Std 802.11: 1999(E), "Wireless LAN medium access control (MAC) and physical layer (PHY) specifications," Aug. 1999.
- S. Gupta, V. Shankar, and S. Lalwani, "Reliable multicast MAC protocol for wireless LANs," in Proc. IEEE ICC, vol. 1, May 2003, pp. 93-97.
- Z. Li and T. Herfet, "BLBP: A beacon-driven leader based protocol for MAC layer multicast error control in wireless LANs," in Proc. WiCOM, Oct. 2008, pp. 1-4.
- Z. Li and T. Herfet, "MAC layer multicast error control for IPTV in wireless LANs," IEEE Trans. Broadcast., vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 353-362, June 2009.
- D. Duiovne and T. Turletti, "Multicast in 802.11 WLANs: An experimental study," in Proc. ACM MSWiM, Terromolinos, Spain, Oct. 2006, pp. 130-138.
- H. Karl and A. Willig, Protocols and architectures for wireless sensor networks. Wiley, 2005.
- Z. Cao, U. Tureli, and Y.-D. Yao, "Deterministic multiuser carrierfrequency offset estimation for interleaved OFDMA uplink," IEEE Trans. Commun., vol. 52, no. 9, pp. 1585-1594, Sept. 2004.
- S. Kaiser and W. A. Krzymien, "Performance effects of the uplink asynchronism in a spread spectrum multicarrier multiple access system," European Trans. Commun., vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 399-406, 1999.
- S. Kapoor, D. J. Marchok, and Y. F. Huang, "Adaptive interference suppression in multiuser wireless OFDM system using antenna arrays," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., vol. 47, pp. 3381-3391, Dec. 1999.
- X. Fu and H.Minn, "TDMA-type preamble for low complexity multi-user synchronization in OFDMA uplink," in Proc. IEEE VTC Fall, vol. 2, Sept. 2005, pp. 1093-1097.
- V. P. G. Jimenez and A. G. Armada, "Multi-user synchronisation in ad hoc OFDM-based wireless personal area networks," Wireless Personal Commun., vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 387-399, Feb. 2007.
- H. Aiache et al., "WIDENS: Advanced wireless ad-hoc networks for public safety," in Proc. IST Mobile & Wireless Commun. Summit, June 2005.
- M. Morelli, C.-C. J. Kuo, and M.-O. Pun, "Synchronization techniques for orthogonal frequency division multiple access (OFDMA): A tutorial review," Proc. IEEE, vol. 95, no. 7, pp. 1394-1427, July 2007.
- M. Morelli, "Timing and frequency synchronization for the uplink of an OFDMA system," IEEE Trans. Commun., vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 296-306, Feb. 2004.
- M. Konstantinos, A. Adamis, and P. Constaninou, "SNR degradation due to timing and frequency synchronization errors for OFDMA systems with subband carrier allocation," in Proc. European Wireless Conf., Prague, Czech Republic, June 2008, pp. 1-6.
- S.W. Kim, B. Kim, and Y. Fang, "Downlink and uplink resource allocation in IEEE 802.11 wireless LANs," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 320-327, Jan. 2005.
- T.-C. Hou, L.-F. Tsao, and H.-C. Liu, "Analyzing the throughput of IEEE 802.11 DCF scheme with hidden nodes," in Proc. IEEE VTC, Oct. 2003, pp. 2870-2874.
- G. Bianchi and I. Tinnirello, "Remarks on IEEE 802.11 DCF performance analysis," IEEE Commun. Lett., vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 765-767, Aug. 2005.
- IEEE Std 802.11a-1999, "Wireless LAN medium access control (MAC) and physical layer (PHY) specifications: Higher-speed physical layer in the 5 GHz band", Sept. 1999.
이 논문을 인용한 문헌 (1)
- 2014. "" KSII Transactions on internet and information systems : TIIS, 8(1): 183~195
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기