Channel Assignment, Link Scheduling, Routing, and Rate Control for Multi-Channel Wireless Mesh Networks with Directional Antennas
The wireless mesh network (WMN) has attracted significant interests as a broadband wireless network to provide ubiquitous wireless access for broadband services. Especially with incorporating multiple orthogonal channels and multiple directional antennas into the WMN, each node can communicate with its neighbor nodes simultaneously without interference between them. However, as we allow more freedom, we need a more sophisticated algorithm to fully utilize it and developing such an algorithm is not easy in general. In this paper, we study a joint channel assignment, link scheduling, routing, and rate control problem for the WMN with multiple orthogonal channels and multiple directional antennas. This problem is inherently hard to solve, since the problem is formulated as a mixed integer nonlinear problem (MINLP). However, despite of its inherent difficulty, we develop an algorithm to solve the problem by using the generalized Benders decomposition approach . The simulation results show the proposed algorithm provides the optimal solution to maximize the network utility, which is defined as the sum of utilities of all sessions.
- H.-T. Roh and J.-W. Lee, "Joint channel and flow assignment algorithm for wireless mesh networks," in Proc. ICOIN, 2014, pp. 142-147.
- A. M. Geoffrion, "Generalized benders decomposition," J. Optimization Theory Appl., vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 237-260, Oct. 1972.
- C. Olariu, J. Fitzpatrick, Y. Ghamri-Doudane, and L. Murphy, "Provisioning call quality and capacity for femtocells over wireless mesh backhaul," in Proc. PIMRC, 2013, pp. 3071-3076.
- T. N. et al., "On the throughput evaluation of wireless mesh network deployed in disaster areas," in Proc. ICNC, 2013, pp. 413-417.
- A. P. Subramanian, H. Gupta, S. R. Das, and J. Cao, "Minimum interference channel assignment in multiradio wireless mesh networks," IEEE Trans. Mobile Comput., vol. 7, no. 12, pp. 1459-1473, Dec. 2008.
- S. Avallone, G. Stasi, and A. Kassler, "A traffic-aware channel and rate reassignment algorithm for wireless mesh networks," IEEE Trans. Moblie Comput., vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 1335-1348, July 2013.
- Y. Ding, K. Pongaliur, and L. Xiao, "Channel allocation and routing in hybrid multichannel multiradio wireless mesh networks," IEEE Trans. Moblie Comput., vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 206-218, Feb. 2013.
- J. Tang, G. Xue, and W. Zhang, "Interference-aware topology control and qos routing in multi-channel wireless mesh networks," in Proc. ACM MobiHoc, 2005, pp. 68-77.
- A. Raniwala, K. Gopalan, and T.-C. Chiueh, "Centralized channel assignment and routing algorithms for multi-channel wireless mesh networks," ACM SIGMOBILE Mobile Comput. Commun. Review, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 50-65, Apr. 2004.
- M. Alicherry, R. Bhatia, and L. E. Li, "Joint channel assignment and routing for throughput optimization in multi-radio wireless mesh networks," in Proc. ACM MobiCom, 2005, pp. 58-72.
- A. Dhananjay, H. Zhang, J. Li, and L. Subramanian, "Practical, distributed channel assignment and routing in dual-radio mesh networks," in Proc. ACM SIGCOMM, 2009, pp. 99-110.
- X. Lin and S. Rasool, "A distributed joint channel-assignment, scheduling and routing algorithm for multi-channel ad-hoc wireless networks," in Proc. IEEE INFOCOM, 2007, pp. 1118-1126.
- S. Das, H. Pucha, D. Koutsonikolas, Y. C. Hu, and D. Peroulis, "DMesh: Incorporating practical directional antennas in multichannel wireless mesh networks," IEEE J. Sel. Areas Commun., vol. 24, no. 11, pp. 2028-2039, Nov. 2006.
- W. Zhou, X. Chen, and D. Qiao, "Practical routing and channel assignment scheme for mesh networks with directional antennas," in Proc. IEEE ICC, 2008, pp. 3181-3187.
- W. Wong, X. Chen, F. Long, and S.-H. Chan, "Joint topology control and routing assignment for wireless mesh with directional antennas," in Proc. IEEE GLOBECOM, 2012, pp. 5699-5704.
- F. Kelly, "Charging and rate control for elastic traffic," European Trans. Telecommun., vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 33-37, Jan. 1997.
- J. Mo and J.Walrand, "Fair end-to-end window-based congestion control," IEEE/ACM Trans. Netw., vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 556-567, Oct. 2000.
- S. Shenker, "Fundamental design issues for the future Internet," IEEE J. Sel. Area Commun., vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 1176-1188, Sept. 1995.
- F. Kelly, A. Maulloo, and D. Tan, "Rate control for communication networks: shadow prices, proportional fairness and stability," J. Operational Research Soc., vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 237-252, Mar. 1998.
- A. K. Saha and D. B. Johnson, "Routing improvement using directional antennas in mobile ad hoc networks," in Proc. IEEE GLOBECOM, 2004, pp. 2902-2908.
- J. F. Benders, "Partitioning procedures for solving mixed-variables programming problems," J. Numerische Mathematik, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 238-252, Dec. 1962.