System-Level Analysis of Receiver Diversity in SWIPT-Enabled Cellular Networks
In this paper, we study the feasibility of receiver diversity for application to downlink cellular networks, where low-energy devices are equipped with information decoding and energy harvesting receivers for simultaneous wireless information and power transfer. We compare several options that are based on selection combining and maximum ratio combining, which provide different implementation complexities. By capitalizing on the Frechet inequality, we shed light on the advantages and limitations of each scheme as a function of the transmission rate and harvested power that need to be fulfilled at the low-energy devices. Our analysis shows that no scheme outperforms the others for every system setup. It suggests, on the other hand, that the low-energy devices need to operate in an adaptive fashion, by choosing the receiver diversity scheme as a function of the imposed requirements. With the aid of stochastic geometry, we introduce mathematical frameworks for system-level analysis. We show that they constitute an important tool for system-level optimization and, in particular, for identifying the diversity scheme that optimizes wireless information and power transmission as a function of a sensible set of parameters. Monte Carlo simulations are used to validate our findings and to illustrate the trade-off that emerge in cellular networks with simultaneous wireless information and power transfer.
- A. Al-Fuqaha, M. Guizani, M. Mohammadi, M. Aledhari, and M. Ayyash, "Internet of things: A survey on enabling technologies, protocols, and applications", IEEE Commun. Surveys & Tuts., vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 2347-2376, 2015.
- I. Krikidis et al., "Simultaneous wireless information and power transfer in modern communication systems," IEEE Commun. Mag., vol. 52, no. 11, pp. 104-110, Nov. 2014.
- M. Di Renzo, A. Guidotti, and G. E. Corazza, "Average rate of downlink heterogeneous cellular networks over generalized fading channels-A stochastic geometry approach," IEEE Trans. Commun., vol. 61, no. 7, pp. 3050-3071, July 2013.
- G. Zheng et al., "Rethinking the role of interference in wireless networks," IEEE Commun. Mag., vol. 52, no. 11, pp. 152-158, Nov. 2014.
- Z. Ding et al., "Application of smart antenna technologies in simultaneous wireless information and power transfer," IEEE Commun. Mag., vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 86-93, Apr. 2015.
- M. Di Renzo, H. Haas, A. Ghrayeb, S. Sugiura, and L. Hanzo, "Spatial modulation for generalized MIMO: Challenges, opportunities and implementation," Proc. of the IEEE, vol. 102, no. 1, pp. 56-103, Jan. 2014.
- L. Liu, R. Zhang, and K. C. Chua, "Wireless information and power transfer: A dynamic power splitting approach," IEEE Trans. Commun., vol. 61, no. 9, pp. 3990-4001, Sep. 2013.
- I. Krikidis, S. Sasaki, S. Timotheou, and Z. Ding, "A low complexity antenna switching for joint wireless information and energy transfer in MIMO relay channels," IEEE Trans. Commun., vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 1577-1587, May 2014.
- X. Zhou, R. Zhang, and C. Ho, "Wireless information and power transfer: Architecture design and rate-energy tradeoff," IEEE Trans. Commun., vol. 61, no. 11, pp. 4754-4767, Nov. 2013.
- I. Krikidis, "Simultaneous information and energy transfer in large-scale networks with/without relaying," IEEE Trans. Commun., vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 900-912, Mar. 2014.
- Z. Ding, I. Krikidis, B. Sharif, and H. V. Poor, "Wireless information and power transfer in cooperative networks with spatially random relays," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 4440-4453, Aug. 2014.
- J. Guo, S. Durrani, X. Zhou, and H. Yanikomeroglu, "Outage probability of ad hoc networks with wireless information and power transfer," IEEE Wireless Commun. Lett., vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 409-412, Aug. 2015.
- I. Flint, L. Xiao, N. Privault, D. Niyato, and P. Wang, "Performance analysis of ambient RF energy harvesting with repulsive point process modeling," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 5402-5416, Oct. 2015.
- X. Zhou, J. Guo, S. Durrani, and I. Krikidis, "Performance of maximum ratio transmission in ad hoc networks with SWIPT," IEEE Wireless Commun. Lett., vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 529-532, Oct. 2015.
- W. Lu, M. Di Renzo, and T. Q. Duong, "On stochastic geometry analysis and optimization of wireless-powered cellular networks," in Proc. IEEE GLOBECOM, Dec. 2015, pp. 1-7.
- W. Lu and M. Di Renzo, "Stochastic geometry modeling of cellular networks: Analysis, simulation and experimental validation," in Proc. ACM MSWiM, Nov. 2015, pp. 179-188.
- M. Frechet, "Sur les tableaux de correlation dont les marges son donnes," Annales de l'Universite de Lyon, Serie 3, vol. 4, pp. 53-57, 1951.
- N. G. Shephard, "From characteristic function to distribution function: A simple framework for the theory," Econometric Theory, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 519-529, 1991.
- M. Di Renzo and P. Guan, "Stochastic geometry modeling of coverage and rate of cellular networks using the Gil-Pelaez inversion theorem," IEEE Commun. Lett., vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 1575-1578, Sept. 2014.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기