조도 기반 자동차 전조등 시인 성능 평가 방법의 적정성 평가
Appropriateness Assessment of Illuminance-Based Evaluation Method in Automotive Headlight Visibility Performance
PURPOSES : The current practice in car headlight visibility performance evaluation is based on the luminous intensity and illuminance of headlight. Such practice can be inappropriate from a visibility point of view where visibility indicates abilities to perceive an object ahead on the road. This study aimed at evaluating the appropriateness of current headlight evaluation method. METHODS : This study measured the luminance of object and road surface at unlit roadways. The variables were measured by vehicle type and by headlight lamp type. Based on the measurements, the distance where drivers can perceive an object ahead was calculated and then compared against such distance obtained by conventional visibility performance evaluation. RESULTS : The evaluation method based on illuminance of headlight is not appropriate when viewed from the visibility concept that is based on object-perceivable distance. Further, the results indicated a shorter object-perceiving distance even when road surface luminance is higher, thereby suggesting that illuminance of headlight and luminance of road surface are not the representative indices of nighttime visibility. CONCLUSIONS : Considering that this study utilized limited vehicle types and that road surface (background) luminance can vary depending on the characteristics of the given road surface, it would likely go too far to argue that this study's visibility performance evaluation results can get generalized to other conditions. Regardless, there is little doubt that the current performance evaluation criterion which is based on illuminance, is unreasonable. There should be future endeavors on the current subject which will need to explore study conditions further, under which more experiments should be conducted and effective methodologies developed for evaluating automotive headlight visibility performance. Needs are recognized particularly in the development of headlight visibility performance evaluation methodology which will take into account road surface (background) luminance and luminance contrast from various perspectives as the former indicates the driver's perception of the front road alignment and the latter being indicative of object perception performance.
- Adrian, W.(1969). Lichttechnsk, 21, 2A. (ref. Adrian 1989).
- Adrian, W. (1989). "Visibility of targets: Model for calculation.", Lighting Research and Technology, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp.181-188.
- Adrian, W., and Stemprok, R. (2005). "Required Visibility Levels in Road Scenes at Night Time Driving", 6th international symposium on automotive lighting.
- American National Standard Institute. (2008). Roadway Lighting, ANSI/IES RP-8-05.
- Aulhorn, E. (1964). "Graefe's Archiv fu¨r Klinische und Experimetelle", Ophthalmologie, Vol. 167, No. 1, pp.4. (ref. Adrian 1989).
- Berek, M and Zeitschrift, F. (1943). Instrurrteratenkunde 63, pp.297. (ref. Adrian 1989)
- Blackwell, H. R. (1946). "Contrast Thresholds of the Human Eye.", Journal of the Optical Society of America, Vol. 36, Issue 11, pp. 624-643.
- Blackwell, H. R. (1966). Lighting Handbook 4, Illuminating Engineering Society, chap. 2-8. (ref. Adrian 1989).
- Bremond, R., Bodard, V., Dumont E., and Nouailles-Mayeur, A. (2013). "Target Visibility Level and Detection Distance on a Driving Simulator." Lighting Research and Technology, 45(1), pp.76-89.
- Cho, H. Y. (2012) Evaluation of Headlamps' Detection Distance Using a Computer Simulation, Master's Thesis, Kyungil University.
- Choi, G. I. and Yun, G. M. (2001). "Low Carbon Green-Road Performance Report(Custom lighting for roads).", Proceedings of the Korean Institute of Illuminating and Electrical Installation Engineers, Vol. 25, No. 4, pp.51-58.
- Commission Internationale de l'Eclairage. (2010). Lighting of Roads for Motor and Pedestrian Traffic, CIE 115-2010.
- Dumont, E., Bremond, R. and Hautiere, N. (2008). "Night-time Visibility as a Function of Headlamp Beam Pattern and Pavement Reflection Properties." Proc. Int. Congr. VISION, pp.1-7.
- Dunipace, D., J. (1974). "Strong, and M. Huizinga, Prediction of Nighttime Driving Visibility from Laboratory Data." Applied optics, Vol. 13, No. 11, pp.2723-2734.
- Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. (2016). First-ever IIHS headlight ratings show most need improvement, Available at : http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopnews/first-ever-iihs-headlight-ratings-show-most-need-improvement (Accessed : March 30, 2017).
- Ising, K. W., Fricker, T. R., Lawrence, J. M., and Siegmund, G. P. (2003). "Threshold Visibility Levels for the Adrian Visibility Model under Nighttime Driving Conditions." SAE Technical Paper, No. 2003-01-0294.
- Korean Agency for Techology and Standard. (2014). Recommendation for Lighting of Traffic Tunnels, KS C 3703 : 2014.
- Lee, S. K. (2014). Nighttime Safety Evaluation for Unlit Roadway based on the Sight Distance of Vehicle Headlamps, Doctoral Thesis, Dankook University.
- Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime. (2009). Road Geometry & Facility Design Manual.
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport. (2014). A Guidelines for Performance and Standard of Automobile and its Parts.
- Sato, T., Kojima, S., and Matsuzaki, M. (2001). "The Smart Headlamp System with Variable Low-Beam Pattern", SAE Technical Paper, No. 2001-01-0854.
- Schmidt-Claussen, H. J. (1969). Lichttechnik, 21, 126A. (ref. Adrian 1989).
- Yoon, C. J., Cho, W. B., Kim, Y. R., Jeong, J. H., and Park, W. I. (2015). "A Study on Road Lighting Threshold based on Luminance Difference between Object and Road Surface in South Korea." ARPN Journal of Science and Technology, Vol. 5, No. 11, pp.540-546.
저자의 다른 논문
- 2004 "주행속도 기반 도로 평면선형 설계 안전성 평가연구" 大韓交通學會誌 = Journal of Korean Society of Transportation 22 (7): 25~32
- 2004 "긴 직선-곡선 연결선형에서 운전자 주행행태에 관한 현장조사 연구" 大韓交通學會誌 = Journal of Korean Society of Transportation 22 (7): 139~146
- 2005 "도로 설계속도, 주행속도, 제한속도의 관계 분석 연구" 大韓交通學會誌 = Journal of Korean Society of Transportation 23 (7): 35~42
- 2005 "자동 과속단속시스템의 효과 증진을 위한 설치 방안 연구" 大韓交通學會誌 = Journal of Korean Society of Transportation 23 (5): 35~45
- 2005 "도로 선형 및 노면 안전성 모형 개발" 교통 기술과 정책 = Transportation technology and policy 2 (1): 184~189
- 2005 "보행자 안전성 확보를 위한 보도 설치 기준 연구" 도로교통= Journal of the Korea road & transportation association 99 (): 80~92
- 2007 "도로 이용자 중심의 선형 설계 기준에 관한 고찰" 교통 기술과 정책 = Transportation technology and policy 4 (2): 132~139
- 2009 "도시 도로의 기능 정립이 필요하다" 교통 기술과 정책 = Transportation technology and policy 6 (4): 7~12
- 2010 "제한속도, 어떻게 관리할 것인가?" 교통 기술과 정책 = Transportation technology and policy 7 (1): 31~35
- 2010 "상류부 선형특성을 반영한 지방부 왕복 4차로 연속류 도로의 주행속도 예측모형 개발" 大韓交通學會誌 = Journal of Korean Society of Transportation 28 (5): 141~153
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기