Lemierre Syndrome in Adolescent with Active Ulcerative Colitis
Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is a well-recognized risk factor for thrombotic events in adults but data on children are scarce. In the great majority of adult patients, thrombotic events are usually deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism. Other sites such as jugular veins are extremely rare. We present a case of Lemierre syndrome in an adolescent girl with active ulcerative colitis and discuss possible risk factors. This is the first reported case of severe Lemierre syndrome with thrombus extension to cranial veins in a patient with ulcerative colitis. Early recognition of Lemierre syndrome in patients who present with rapidly worsening symptoms of neck pain, fever and signs of pharyngitis is imperative because it increases a chance of favorable prognosis. It is important for pediatricians treating IBD patients not to underestimate possible thrombotic events in children with IBD. Recognition of additional risk factors is crucial for prompt diagnosis and adequate treatment.
- Lazzerini M, Bramuzzo M, Maschio M, Martelossi S, Ventura A. Thromboembolism in pediatric inflammatory bowel disease: systematic review. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2011;17:2174-83.
- Alkim H, Koksal AR, Boga S, Sen I, Alkim C. Etiopathogenesis, prevention, and treatment of thromboembolism in inflammatory bowel disease. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost 2017;23:501-10.
- Van Assche G, Dignass A, Bokemeyer B, Danese S, Gionchetti P, Moser G, et al. Second European evidence-based consensus on the diagnosis and management of ulcerative colitis part 3: special situations. J Crohns Colitis 2013;7:1-33.
- Danese S, Papa A, Saibeni S, Repici A, Malesci A, Vecchi M. Inflammation and coagulation in inflammatory bowel disease: The clot thickens. Am J Gastroenterol 2007;102:174-86.
- Habek M, Petravic D, Ozretic D, Brinar VV. Horner syndrome due to jugular vein thrombosis (Lemierre syndrome). J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2008;79:293.
- Lin D, Reeck JB, Murr AH. Internal jugular vein thrombosis and deep neck infection from intravenous drug use: management strategy. Laryngoscope 2004;114:56-60.
- Armstrong AW, Spooner K, Sanders JW. Lemierre's syndrome. Curr Infect Dis Rep 2000;2:168-73.
- Lu MD, Vasavada Z, Tanner C. Lemierre syndrome following oropharyngeal infection: a case series. J Am Board Fam Med 2009;22:79-83.
- Papay P, Miehsler W, Tilg H, Petritsch W, Reinisch W, Mayer A, et al. Clinical presentation of venous thromboembolism in inflammatory bowel disease. J Crohns Colitis 2013;7:723-9.
- Nylund CM, Goudie A, Garza JM, Crouch G, Denson LA. Venous thrombotic events in hospitalized children and adolescents with inflammatory bowel disease. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2013;56:485-91.
- Alperstein A, Fertig RM, Feldman M, Watford D, Nystrom S, Delva G, et al. Septic thrombophlebitis of the internal jugular vein, a case of Lemierre's syndrome. Intractable Rare Dis Res 2017;6:137-40.
- Cupit-Link MC, Nageswara Rao A, Warad DM, Rodriguez V. Lemierre syndrome: a retrospective study of the role of anticoagulation and thrombosis outcomes. Acta Haematol 2017;137:59-65.
- 원문이 없습니다.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기