Correlation between dermal thickness and scar formation in female patients after thyroidectomy
Background: Minimizing scarring has long been a challenge in plastic surgery. Factors affecting scar formation are well known, but the effect of some patient-specific factors such as dermal thickness remains unverified. Management of factors predictive of scarring can improve postoperative patient satisfaction and scar treatment. Methods: For 3 years, we used ultrasonography to measure dermal thickness in female patients who had undergone thyroidectomy for cancer at our hospital. We confirmed the influence of dermal thickness on hypertrophic scar formation and the Patient and Observer Scar Assessment Scale scar score 6 months after surgery. Results: There was a positive correlation between dermal thickness and scar score (p
- Kim HY, Kim JW, Park JH, Kim JH, Han YS. Personal factors that affect the satisfaction of female patients undergoing esthetic suture after typical thyroidectomy. Arch Plast Surg 2013;40:414-24.
- Lorenz P, Bari AS. Scar prevention, treatment, and revision. In: Neligan PC, editor. Plastic surgery. 3rd ed. London: Elsevier Saunders; 2012. p. 297-318.
- Broughton G 2nd, Janis JE, Attinger CE. Wound healing: an overview. Plast Reconstr Surg 2006;117(7 Suppl):1e-S-32e-S.
- Ince B, Dadaci M, Oltulu P, Altuntas Z, Bilgen F. Effect of dermal thickness on scars in women with type III-IV fitzpatrick skin. Aesthetic Plast Surg 2015;39:318-24.
- Verim A, Duymus R, Calim OF, Karaca CT, Ozkul MH, Yasar H, et al. Effect of nose skin on the columellar incision scar in a Turkish population. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2013;149:438-44.
- Draaijers LJ, Tempelman FR, Botman YA, Tuinebreijer WE, Middelkoop E, Kreis RW, et al. The patient and observer scar assessment scale: a reliable and feasible tool for scar evaluation. Plast Reconstr Surg 2004;113:1960-5.
- van de Kar AL, Corion LU, Smeulders MJ, Draaijers LJ, van der Horst CM, van Zuijlen PP. Reliable and feasible evaluation of linear scars by the Patient and Observer Scar Assessment Scale. Plast Reconstr Surg 2005;116:514-22.
- Perry DM, McGrouther DA, Bayat A. Current tools for noninvasive objective assessment of skin scars. Plast Reconstr Surg 2010;126:912-23.
- Wolfram D, Tzankov A, Pulzl P, Piza-Katzer H. Hypertrophic scars and keloids: a review of their pathophysiology, risk factors, and therapeutic management. Dermatol Surg 2009;35:171-81.
- Kim JH, Sung JY, Kim YH, Lee YS, Chang HS, Park CS, et al. Risk factors for hypertrophic surgical scar development after thyroidectomy. Wound Repair Regen 2012;20:304-10.
- Gosain A, DiPietro LA. Aging and wound healing. World J Surg 2004;28:321-6.
- Need AG, Morris HA, Horowitz M, Nordin C. Effects of skin thickness, age, body fat, and sunlight on serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D. Am J Clin Nutr 1993;58:882-5.
- Shuster S, Black MM, McVitie E. The influence of age and sex on skin thickness, skin collagen and density. Br J Dermatol 1975;93:639-43.
- Shimizu H. Structure and function of the skin. In: Shimizu H, editor. Shimizu's textbook of dermatology. Sapporo: Hokkaido University Press; 2007. p. 12-6.
- Scherer-Pietramaggiori SS, Pietramaggiori G, Dennis P. Skin graft. In: Neligan PC, editor. Plastic surgery. 3rd ed. London: Elsevier Saunders; 2012. p. 319-38.
- Meigel WN, Gay S, Weber L. Dermal architecture and collagen type distribution. Arch Dermatol Res 1977;259:1-10.
- Whitby DJ, Ferguson MW. The extracellular matrix of lip wounds in fetal, neonatal and adult mice. Development 1991;112:651-68.
- Lee Y, Hwang K. Skin thickness of Korean adults. Surg Radiol Anat 2002;24:183-9.
- Tang YW. Intra- and postoperative steroid injections for keloids and hypertrophic scars. Br J Plast Surg 1992;45:371-3.
- Henderson DL, Cromwell TA, Mes LG. Argon and carbon dioxide laser treatment of hypertrophic and keloid scars. Lasers Surg Med 1984;3:271-7.
- Kim K, Son D, Kim J. Radiation therapy following total keloidectomy: a retrospective study over 11 years. Arch Plast Surg 2015;42:588-95.
- Alexander H, Miller DL. Determining skin thickness with pulsed ultra sound. J Invest Dermatol 1979;72:17-9.
- 원문이 없습니다.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기