Delayed formation of sterile abscess after zygomaticomaxillary complex fracture treatment with bioabsorbable plates
We present a patient who showed a sterile abscess after facial bone fixation with bioabsorbable plates and screws. He had zygomaticomaxillary complex and periorbital fracture due to falling down. The displaced bones were treated by open reduction and internal fixation successfully using bioabsorbable plate system. However, at postoperative 11 months, abrupt painless swelling was noted on the previous operation sites, left lateral eyebrow and lower eyelid. By surgical exploration, pus-like discharge and degraded materials were observed and debrided. The pathologic analysis revealed foreign body reaction with sterile abscess. This complication followed by bioabsorbable device implantation on maxillofacial bone surgery has been rarely reported in which we call attention to the maxillofacial plastic surgeons.
- Jeon HB, Kang DH, Gu JH, Oh SA. Delayed foreign body reaction caused by bioabsorbable plates used for maxillofacial fractures. Arch Plast Surg 2016;43:40-5.
- Bell RB, Kindsfater CS. The use of biodegradable plates and screws to stabilize facial fractures. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2006;64:31-9.
- Wong FK, Adams S, Hudson DA, Ozaki W. Use of resorbable fixation system in pediatric facial fractures. J Craniofac Surg 2017;28:635-7.
- Tuncer S, Yavuzer R, Kandal S, Demir YH, Ozmen S, Latifoglu O, et al. Reconstruction of traumatic orbital floor fractures with resorbable mesh plate. J Craniofac Surg 2007;18:598-605.
- Landes C, Hoefer SH, Richards T, Walcher F, Sader R. Perspectives of patients about bioabsorbable internal fixation for maxillofacial fractures. Ann Maxillofac Surg 2015;5:185-90.
- Wood RJ, Petronio JA, Graupman PC, Shell CD, Gear AJ. New resorbable plate and screw system in pediatric craniofacial surgery. J Craniofac Surg 2012;23:845-9.
- Givissis PK, Stavridis SI, Papagelopoulos PJ, Antonarakos PD, Christodoulou AG. Delayed foreign-body reaction to absorbable implants in metacarpal fracture treatment. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2010;468:3377-83.
- Choi JS, Lee JH, Kim SM, Kim YJ, Jun YJ. Foreign-body granuloma after metacarpal fracture treatment with absorbable implants. Arch Plast Surg 2015;42:505-7.
- Bostman O, Pihlajamaki H. Clinical biocompatibility of biodegradable orthopaedic implants for internal fixation: a review. Biomaterials 2000;21:2615-21.
- Xue AS, Koshy JC, Weathers WM, Wolfswinkel EM, Kaufman Y, Sharabi SE, et al. Local foreign-body reaction to commercial biodegradable implants: an in vivo animal study. Craniomaxillofac Trauma Reconstr 2014;7:27-34.
- Middleton JC, Tipton AJ. Synthetic biodegradable polymers as orthopedic devices. Biomaterials 2000;21:2335-46.
- Konofaos P, Goubran S, Wallace RD. The role of resorbable mesh as a fixation device in craniosynostosis. J Craniofac Surg 2016;27:105-8.
- Anderson JM, Rodriguez A, Chang DT. Foreign body reaction to biomaterials. Semin Immunol 2008;20:86-100.
- Klopfleisch R. Macrophage reaction against biomaterials in the mouse model: phenotypes, functions and markers. Acta Biomater 2016;43:3-13.
- Aryasit O, Ng DS, Goh AS, Woo KI, Kim YD. Delayed onset porous polyethylene implant-related inflammation after orbital blowout fracture repair: four case reports. BMC Ophthalmol 2016;16:94.
- 원문이 없습니다.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기